Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supersonics for IMMT ?
Quote | Reply
Racing in IMMT this Aug and wanted opinions from those who have raced there before. Ive been told the road conditions there are great so I was considering racing on Conti Supersonic clinchers with latex tubes. I understand that they have little protection but these roads I have been told are in great condition and clean of debris as most of us are used to. Would appreciate any comments on this. Im only asking because I love racing on my supersonics with latex tubes. I also dont want to say I have never had a flat while riding on them ( oops)
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latex tubes are good at resisting things like wires, staples, and goatheads (if you get one in your tire, stop and pull it out), and the Black Chili tread resists cuts quite well. It isn't risky IMO, so long as the tires have tread and are in good condition when you start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only part of the route that is not pristine is doing the out and back in the old town which is about 4 miles round trip, you'll hit that twice. Aside from that, the 3 main roads for this course are:

Monte Ryan: Condition is better than average
Chemin Duplessis: Condition is very good
Tans Canadian Route 119 - Soooo sweet..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced Tremblant 3x (2 70.3 and one 140.6). I've never had a flat on the 4000s and don't honestly remember many folks stopped to fix a flat. The roads are in very good shape - most were newly paved for the inaugural races in 2012.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done immt x3 and used supersonics with latex on all 3. Roads are ver nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
Racing in IMMT this Aug and wanted opinions from those who have raced there before. Ive been told the road conditions there are great so I was considering racing on Conti Supersonic clinchers with latex tubes. I understand that they have little protection but these roads I have been told are in great condition and clean of debris as most of us are used to. Would appreciate any comments on this. Im only asking because I love racing on my supersonics with latex tubes. I also dont want to say I have never had a flat while riding on them ( oops)

I believe last year's winner won on Supersonics. I have raced all 6 of my races this year on Supersonics including 1 sprint and 5 70.3, one of which was IMMT 70.3

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.....feeling a little better about using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing this race as my first full this Aug too. I have two basic questions.
1. How soon before the race do you guys mount your race tires? I have two new conti 4000sII and was thinking about two weeks before race so i can get a couple of rides in to make sure all is okay.
2. When you put on your race tires, is there a need to also replace the tubes? (I don't have race specific tubes so should keep the tubes on the wheel now or put new tubes with the new tires???

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
1. How soon before the race do you guys mount your race tires? I have two new conti 4000sII and was thinking about two weeks before race so i can get a couple of rides in to make sure all is okay.
2. When you put on your race tires, is there a need to also replace the tubes? (I don't have race specific tubes so should keep the tubes on the wheel now or put new tubes with the new tires???

Thanks

I mounted my Supersonics this past weekend at about 6:30am the morning of the race but I don't recommend that. If you only have one set of wheels I would suggest maybe after your ride two days prior so you can do one shake out ride on them before race day. If you aren't racing Latex tubes than you are wasting a lot of speed in tubes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

avikoren1 wrote:

Thanks

I take a fine sand paper ( 300 grit or so) on go over the contact area ( up the sides for cornering) then I like to put about 50 miles of on road riding to break them in. Makes them more supple in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reason for this ( expecially on the sides) is to sand off the coating they put on the tires after manufacture. Its kind of slippery. I feel safer cornering on tires Ive done this extra step on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you still race the Supersonics if the forecast called for rain? Just wondering how they grip in the wet. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fine in the wet. Same tread compound is used in all the top Conti tires.

Sand and oil slicks are what cause traction issues.
Last edited by: rruff: Jul 4, 15 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ken66 wrote:

I believe last year's winner won on Supersonics. I have raced all 6 of my races this year on Supersonics including 1 sprint and 5 70.3, one of which was IMMT 70.3

Relative to the OP question, do you put new latex tubes in for your races? That is, if you have raced on a set of tires/latex tubes before, do you re-use those latex tubes for the next race? or put in new latex tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMMT in 2012 and I don't remember any one with flats, but the roads were new that year. Put new tires of your choice on about two weeks before the event and get at least a few miles on them before the event and you should be good to go. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input on this. I will be using my supersonics. I love these tires. I was told that Conti has stopped making them. Why in hell would they stop making a tire that is fast as hell and well liked? Beyond me if this is true.......
Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Ken66 wrote:

Relative to the OP question, do you put new latex tubes in for your races? That is, if you have raced on a set of tires/latex tubes before, do you re-use those latex tubes for the next race? or put in new latex tubes

No I reuse tubes. It would seem that a tube problem would likely occur at the beginning of life at the seam joint and I like to make sure the latex tube is solid.

Quote Reply
Re: Supersonics for IMMT ? [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crocwrestler wrote:
Would you still race the Supersonics if the forecast called for rain? Just wondering how they grip in the wet. Thanks.

I have. I would generally prefer a wider tire. I actually had Attack/Force on my rig the morning of IMMT 70.3 because rain was expected but then got the forecast update and switched to Supersonics a few minutes before transition closed. It started raining about 2/3 of the way thru and for the most technical part of the course but was ok. It down-poured at Challenge Knoxville, and unfortunately I went down, but the again so did a whole bunch of other pros. For the record, I think I was the only one that went down and finished in the Top 10. I finished 4th. I did TT back to the group that I was riding it with. It took a hour and about 30 watts more average to do so but did the Supersonics get me there and make the difference - maybe.

Quote Reply