Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [Cdn_Biker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better check prices to ship a bike back one way. It was cost prohibitive for me. Almost as much as my round trip airline ticket. I bit the bullet and chose TBT which will end up about $250 more than hauling my scicon case myself. One downside to TBT is they do not accept gear bags for international travel due to custom issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Be careful with a Ruster Hen House because additional bag fees on international travel can easily eliminate the advantage of that particular case. For example, I just came back from a race in Europe. I flew Delta which lets you check 1 bag free per passenger. I checked a bag for myself (and 1 each for my family) and my bike and paid $100 for the 2nd bag fee - not a bike fee - so $200 roundtrip. But if I had flown with a Ruster then I would have had to check a 3rd bag which is $200 each way thus increasing the cost from $200 to $600 roundtrip. Now if you are flying with your SO, then they could have checked the other part of the Ruster as their 2nd bag which would have reduced your roundtrip baggage cost to $400, but either way the Ruster might eat you alive depending on the bag fees on the airline you choose. Shipping my bike would have cost me $650 so my bag saved $450. TBT shipping to Zell from my location is also $650, so traveling with a bike case is practically a no brainer...except possibly for someone that intends to backpack all over. Depending on your logistics, one option is to check the case in storage at major train stations as you transit from Zell to Amsterdam. But you will need to verify with each station that they have such a facility and the costs.

You've just outlined the worst case scenario for bike fees, which will happen to you if you don't plan ahead. However the Hen House fits a ton of stuff around the frame of the bike, allowing (at least for me) to bring only a carry on. If you're traveling with a significant other who can check your wheel bag you can fly without any fees.

I am not mechanically inclined and after my first practice run, I was packing/unpacking my bike into the HH in about 30-45 minutes.

If you are only going to travel once I would say it's not worth it, but if you travel 2-3 times a year then the HH is a great investment (but you have to understand airline policies well before booking your travel)

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then Hen House looks like a great case provided you don't have an integrated headset/fork/etc. that might make disassembly exceedingly difficult. Further, if you are doing a 10+ day stay in Europe, I have great difficulty imagining that you can get away with $0 bag fees with the Ruster unless you (and SO) are able to pack enough for that time into each half of the case and a carry-on bag. I know some people could do it, but that ain't happening with my family. My point is that airline bag fees have become every much a consideration as the size and weight of a single bike case. I'm traveling about 4 times a year with my case (PikaPackworks), never a problem and it has saved me $000. Regardless, I'm not knocking it. I seriously considered it as a back-up case until I saw that I had to take the fork off. Total PITA for some super bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [dededon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dededon wrote:
You better check prices to ship a bike back one way. It was cost prohibitive for me. Almost as much as my round trip airline ticket. I bit the bullet and chose TBT which will end up about $250 more than hauling my scicon case myself. One downside to TBT is they do not accept gear bags for international travel due to custom issues.

Are you sure about that? No issues USA to Canada. Can anyone from TBT confirm if they take gear bags for Austria?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [dededon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also planning to ship my bike with TBT, to 70.3 WC
But, I'm concern, it will be first time using their services.
How does TBT ship the bikes overseas ? how they protect the bike ?
Anyone know something about this ??

tks
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually don't know how TBT packs and ships the bikes but I know many people who have used them (including me) with no issues whatsoever. I am still debating between traveling with my bike on the plane or TBT but the only reason I'm even thinking about it is bc TBT is $250 more than flying it myself. I still might pay the extra to eliminate the hassle because I'm traveling before and after the race.

BTW, I'm glad I found this thread. Just last night I dug out a spare 12/27 cassette that I am considering using in place of my 12/25 (I have standard on the front). I'm just wondering though if an 11/28 is worth buying to get a little more upper and lower range.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With TBT, can I repack my own bike before returning it to them post race? I am backpacking through Europe post race, and TBT seems the best option for sending my bike home, but I want to put my gear in my bike box as well if possible. Anyone know if this is feasible?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [Cdn_Biker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't pack your bike post-race. You just roll it up to them, rack it, and walk away. I seem to remember some option to send gear with the bike but I think they charge more for it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [Michel08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michel08 wrote:
dededon wrote:

Are you sure about that? No issues USA to Canada. Can anyone from TBT confirm if they take gear bags for Austria?

it says on TBT page that they cannot take gear bags to worlds.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you fly airberlin, they allow you to check your bike for free instead of checking your bag. If you can put everything between your bike case and your carry on, then you don't have to pay any additional money for checking your bike or bags.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [ttrifedez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if you meant to respond to me or not, my response was specific to using Tri Bike Transport as a means to get your bike over.

Good to know about air berlin though.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
short video from our bike tour at the race course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKQ2XVz-Ck
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [leiti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Is the descent all aero bars or are there some really tight turns that require some feathering of the brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the sometimes dubious bike handling that we all see from time to time, and the race context, I can see that descent producing some carnage, particularly if it gets wet.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...I saw some carnage at last years Worlds. This guy in front of me was going around the "around-about" and caught the 1 inch lip of pavement and smash...down he went. You definitely always have to be aware of surroundings and riders for sure.

The video looks like they are hauling ass down the mountain which makes sense after a six mile climb. Just looking for more recon on those two tight turns because I am not sure if I will have time to ride that section of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobragolf79 wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Is the descent all aero bars or are there some really tight turns that require some feathering of the brakes?

No, you can't go all way down on the aerobars. It's really fast and some turns require you to brake.

Espacialy when it's wet you will love good brakes!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds bike course [leiti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next