Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [_juju_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked up a pair of Xpedo Thrust NXL as a "dummy" set pedals on eBay for $65. Plan is to leave the pedals on the bike attached to the Wahoo Kickr when not comparing data/controlling the Kickr with P1s. I can still ride if the P1s need to be sent in for service. NXL cleats are identical to the P1 cleats. Cleat engagement, disengagement and float are the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, those are the cleats you will need.

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [znerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
znerd,

You are right. You will get power data on your 310XT and with a 172.5mm crank you will not need to change the crank length as that is the default setting. You will also be able to pair the pedals via BLE and see data on your iPhone with the PowerTap mobile app. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [znerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
znerd wrote:
PowerTapPM wrote:
znerd,

I completely understand you not wanting to purchase another receiving device. I cant answer whether Garmin has plans to add pedal capability to their 310XT or not. My guess would be no but that is really in their court.

The difference will not be huge and may not even be noticeable in real time. That said, we pride ourselves on the accuracy of our power meters so any degradation of the accuracy detracts from the product. My $0.02.

Thanks!

Okay, i'm pumped and just put in my purchase about 10 minutes ago. next year, I'll be upgrading my garmin 310xt, but in the meantime, I just wanted to clarify that my road bike is 172.5m so although you state that the 310xt does not have pedal capability, that doesn't mean that I won't get a reading on my 310xt, right? Alternatively, i have a Iphone that i can use the bluetooth smart to get data from, right? Sorry for all the newbie questions, but just trying to clarify. thanks again for all the help and i'm excited to get into this stuff.

Placed my order on Aug 21...showed up today on Sep 1...11 days total. Less than I thought and very excited!
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [PowerTapPM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any news when the iOS App will be released for the P1?

Interested in what additional metrics will be available, i appreciate you likely are limited in what you are able to say ... but a couple of questions.

USE CASE : P1 with Garmin 810 (iPhone in pocket)

I assume with the above that the usual public ANT+ data (LR Balance, TSS etc) will be available on the 810 - and that to get any of the additional cycling dynamics
you will have to connect via BTLE to the iOS/android app - although it would be great if garmin opened up their cycling dynamics for others to use so P1 could display the additional metrics on Garmins (am i correct to assume that this will likely not happen?)

How will the BTLE / App data work - in the above use case?

will you connect to P1 via BTLE before the ride and "start" a ride recording, then when finished "stop" it and view/upload to somewhere where the metrics can then be looked at?
Last edited by: _juju_: Sep 1, 15 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
_juju_

I cant talk too much about release or availability timing as there is a lot more testing that will need to be done before launching. All I can say is that it will be well worth the wait. It will work exactly as you outlined below. If riding outside you could put your smart device on the handlebars for real time data or in the pocket for post ride analysis. Riding indoors would provide the best of both worlds as the safety concerns of staring at your metrics is gone.

As far as the Garmin Cycling Dynamics becoming public, I am not optimistic but would welcome any effort to open it up for everyone. Understandably they are protecting their development investment so I dont really see anything happening there, which is why we are doing our own.

Thanks!

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info.

Am i correct to assume that the P1 additional cycling dynamics type metrics will also be displayed on various Joule headunit's?

I have a feeling (and hope) more details will show up at interbike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
_juju_

Sorry but nothing will be announced at InterBike this year but im happy to keep the conversation going.

The Joule GPS+ display doesnt really have the screen real estate or resolution we feel is optimal for displaying such metrics, which is why we've decided to develop on the smart phone. The screen size, resolution and ability to show rich color make it the perfect platform for the metrics. We are also using BLE, which allows us to transmit data much faster than standard ANT+ and therefore get much higher resolution data.

Thanks for asking.

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently noticed the PowerTap Mobile App is reporting different crank lengths from the right & left pedals. Right pedal is holding at 172.5 and left pedal is 170. I can change the left pedal crank length with a Garmin head unit but the right pedal stays at the default (172.5) per PT app. Called PT, they suggested to delete the app and remove pedal batteries, download app, install batteries. No luck, right pedal is stuck at 172.5. I'm assuming this isn't normal and I'm getting skewed numbers, is anyone else seeing this with their pedals and app? Sent in a support request over the weekend, just waiting to hear back from PT.

Update: PT reply.

"Currently with our firmware and in the App the right crank length will not change. This is perfectly fine as long as the left pedal has the correct crank length. Both pedals are communicating through the left pedal and this is the crank length that will be the default for both pedals".
Last edited by: Wetfeet: Jan 13, 16 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When using the P1's with the ANT+ protocol it works as master/slave and the crank length of only the left (master) pedal is used. For Bluetooth Smart individual crank lengths are set.

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTapPM wrote:
When using the P1's with the ANT+ protocol it works as master/slave and the crank length of only the left (master) pedal is used. For Bluetooth Smart individual crank lengths are set.
Justin:

If the crank lengths *are* different, will Bluetooth report different power than ANT+?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pedals - On sale today who's buying? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the crank lengths were different, yes, it would but we notify the user if the crank lengths are different when connected using BLE.

PowerTap Product Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTapPM wrote:
If the crank lengths were different, yes, it would but we notify the user if the crank lengths are different when connected using BLE.

Thanks. That's fascinating. Now I have to think of a way to exploit that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next