Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in Bulgaria
Quote | Reply
This is a weird one for the slowtwitch boards. Just wondering if anyone has any experience training anywhere in Bulgaria. I have a race in Burgas on June 21 then Istanbul on the 28th. I am ruling Istanbul out as it seems virtually impossible to train there. Im leaning towards Varna but also considering staying in Burgas or going to Sofia. Does anyone have any experience at all?

Thanks!

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Bulgaria [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the Riu in Pravets. Was there for an MBA class a couple years back. Its outside of Sofia so less going on, but large pool and spa on-site. Unfortunately I do not know much about the area other than spending a few nights at the resort...

Note: I would not recommend trying to swim in the man-made lake behind the resort....stick to the pool!

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ozjt23 [ In reply to ]
Re: Training in Bulgaria [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response! I should have mentioned that I am a struggling ITU athlete looking to save as much money as possible.. haha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not training, per se, but if you end up bored in Sofia, have a taxi take you to the indoor shooting range. I remember having to walk through a bar to get to the firearms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would avoid Sofia if at all possible. I spent around 3 months there a year or so ago and it was a tough place to train. Riding around there is sketchy to say the least. There's a lot good mountain biking, but drivers are aggressive and there were more than a few close calls when I was riding around there. There's plenty of good running routes, but between the gypsies and packs of roving feral dogs, it can be scary.

PM me if you want any more details. There is a lot to pay attention to if you're going to be there.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Bulgaria [Slcrashpad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, cycling there would be dangerous. I tried in Romania and it was tough to impossible but Bulgaria is worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Bulgaria [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate everyone's help and advice. I knew ST would have some answers!

Quote Reply