Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon to Aluminum frame
Quote | Reply
Possibly interested in getting rid of my carbon frame and downgrading to an aluminum frame. Idea would be to simplify things a little and maybe try to come out ahead with some extra cash that I could use.

Any suggestions for a good aluminum frame? I know the CAAD10 is one of the best aluminum frames out there. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon to Aluminum frame [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon to Aluminum frame [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting read...gonna assume you posted it to suggest the R3

Wait...just read that R3 is carbon. Not sure what you're getting at now.
Last edited by: teichs42: May 28, 15 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Possibly interested in getting rid of my carbon frame and downgrading to an aluminum frame. Idea would be to simplify things a little and maybe try to come out ahead with some extra cash that I could use.

Any suggestions for a good aluminum frame? I know the CAAD10 is one of the best aluminum frames out there. Any other suggestions?

Specialized Allez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a tri bike, go to the ST classified and pick up the P3SL for $500. This bike is just as fast as any carbon equivalent bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Modern aluminum frames are quite good IMO. I have an old(ish) aluminum Speed Concept 2.5 and a newer Speed Concept 7.0 and given the same wheels/tires/tubes/pressure I can't feel any difference between the two when riding. It's completely irrational and unjustified but I feel "safer" on an aluminum frame as I just trust metal more than I do composites (again, it's totally unjustified... would be sorta justified if we were talking steel vs cf).

Giant has a new aluminum propel coming out that looks to be pretty aero and might be perfect for you if they bring it stateside. Otherwise I'd say an Allez E5, Speed Concept 2.5, or an old aluminum P3. Honestly the Speed Concept 2.5 is sneaky fast when set up properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't get caught up in what materials are more simple than others. Simple is what simple does. Nowdays, you can find used carbon frames as cheap or cheaper than anything else, just by what's on sale at the moment. And carbon is cool and awesome, but it's essentially just high-tech bamboo.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon to Aluminum frame [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry! I should have mentioned I'm talking about a road frame. In love with my Fuji D6 and not looking to do anything with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soloist/S1 is a great choice used. They are pretty cheap and dead simple to cable and maintain.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon to Aluminum frame [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Soloist/S1 is a great choice used. They are pretty cheap and dead simple to cable and maintain.

Steve
This. I'm never giving up mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some have mentioned the Cervelo Soloist. It's a good frame and used to be at the top of the technology heap for aluminum. While aero, it's heavy and technology has moved on (tapered headtubes, for example). The Caad 10 is really good. I had one and was very impressed with how it rode. The Specialized Allez Smartweld is pretty fantastic as well, and quite light. The new Trek Emonda aluminum sounds like it will be good, but there's insufficient information on how it rides. Giant has a couple of new aluminum framesets as well, but they appear to be heavy despite how cool they seem to be. If it were my money I'd go with the Smartweld, but you'd be happy with the Caad 10.

teichs42 wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Road Bike is a Jamis Icon Elite. Handles great and comes nicely equipped. It also weighs next-to-nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Is your used carbon frame going to be worth more than your new aluminum frame? Very unlikely if you are looking at quality aluminum frames, unless your carbon is top race model in high demand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also consider the Felt F75 and the Giant TCR SL2. After test riding both along with the CAAD10, they're all great bikes, and so it comes down to whichever one will fit you best!

In the end I ended up with the Giant!

Quote Reply