Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Struggling in the Heat
Quote | Reply
I might write a book based on my first year of triathlon, all my questions on ST and the awesome members answers.

In this edition -

I really really really struggle with the heat. My run in the first race and now my run today in the heat were HORRIBLE. I drink nothing but water on a daily basis and plenty of it. I know hydration beforehand is not an issue. I run with a bottle and fill it at every chance I get. I am constantly pouring water over my head, neck & chest. I take in calories at the same rate I would any other day. I do sweat a TON. I do not experience any cramping issues. But I feel like death basically the entire run. Today was 11mi and by mile 7 I felt certain I was going to pass out. My heart rate sky rockets and I have trouble keeping it in check. By default, pace slows WAY down as well obviously.

Is this something that will simply get better with more time spent training in the heat? Is there something I should be doing differently or consuming to help with this issue? I'm at a loss and it's super frustrating bc my A race is the last weekend in June and I'm really wanting to not blow to pieces on the run again when I'm in 90deg direct sunlight for the half marathon.

Any advice is super appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling in the Heat [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read up on heat acclimatization.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know it was the heat specifically?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Height weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling in the Heat [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bc I only blow up on hot days. Long run is normally fine. The three or four awful workouts I've had including my first race were on 85+ days with a ton of sun.

I'm 6'1" 230. Down from around 260. I've had quite a bit of weight loss and it continues to melt off from these 12-14 hour workout weeks. Not sure if that plays into how your body handles temps bit I world think it would get better as you carry less weight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fat will DEFINITELY factor in. i would drop your pace in the heat. other than that, lose weight adn acclimate. ice the pressure points (wrists, neck, groin?) and keep working on it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a big unit heat will be an issue. I am 6'4 230. I slow down by about 45 sec a mile when it hits 85+. Hate it the whole time. I have actually bought and used a cooling vest specifically for hot days. It works well as long as the humidity is not crazy. Try running early on the morning. For heat acclimatization do your shorter runs in the heat of the day.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply