Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig?
Quote | Reply
Has anybody successfully followed the how to guide on Tri Rig for installing top tube bottle bosses?

I have a Trek TTX that was before these became the norm. I'm not too worried about warranty and I'm even considering re-painting it anyway.

I think I want to do this but buying the rivet tool is a little expensive. Anybody want to rent theirs out??
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
Has anybody successfully followed the how to guide on Tri Rig for installing top tube bottle bosses? I have a Trek TTX that was before these became the norm. I'm not too worried about warranty and I'm even considering re-painting it anyway. I think I want to do this but buying the rivet tool is a little expensive. Anybody want to rent theirs out?

I don't have one of the premium tools, but here are two other options that still work very well. Sure, they will take you a couple of minutes more, but these tools are still effective, and vastly cheaper:

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/
or
http://www.mcmaster.com/#96349a713/=xd8i9i

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 27, 15 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see the tool is only $40 on Amazon. I just watched the TriRig video, and this is the first time I've ever seen one of those tools. But it's pretty sweet IMO. I wonder what the resale value would be on eBay if you only used it once?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
Has anybody successfully followed the how to guide on Tri Rig for installing top tube bottle bosses?

I have a Trek TTX that was before these became the norm. I'm not too worried about warranty and I'm even considering re-painting it anyway.

I think I want to do this but buying the rivet tool is a little expensive. Anybody want to rent theirs out??

I can't see anything going wrong with following such advice from a company with a recent product recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it along with the cable routing through the top tube.

After drilling the holes I found out that all 3 of the rivnut tools we had at work were broken... so I bought the amazon one and was quite happy with it. I'd just buy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the $40 tool. I guess I searched for the one in the picture and not the one from the video. I saw prices more like $90.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pic! Nice job!
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
carboner wrote:

I can't see anything going wrong with following such advice from a company with a recent product recall.

Nice try. 1/10 on the Troll-O-Meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody followed the DIY top tube bosses on Tri Rig? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving this thread, can you please give an update on how the DIY top tube bosses are going? Still looking strong? I imagine a lightweight bento box doesn't nearly put the strain on the bosses as a heavy drink bottle being shoved in and yanked out much more often.

Does anyone else out there have any horror stories to tell about this. I'm going to modify an old frame for Di2 and thought while I was drilling might go the extra mile and install some of these.

Cheers
Quote Reply