Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my argument, so bear with me.

Go with a USED CompuTrainer. Here's why...

The CompuTrainer is a robust, if obsolete design, but it WORKS. Ignore the OEM software, and get a copy of PerfPro or SufferFest or even Golden Cheetah, and start training. The RM1 Real Course Videos are HUMONGOUS, and are NOT that great. Furthermore, the companion software for them is hard to read, clunky, and you still end up believing that your speed can be duplicated out in the real world. It can't. In fact, you'll probably be faster out in the real world, for reasons I can explain separately.

But the system is NOT worth $1600. Get a used one - they haven't really, truly been updated since the 90's, and honestly, the firmware works well enough that you can use them with ErgVideo, PerfPro, et al, and ignore the OEM stuff. The money you save, you can invest in better videos or coaching.

MY #1 problem with Kickr is this - the ramp up to load for shorter intervals takes WAY TOO LONG, like 15-25 seconds. On a CT, if you're doing load-based intervals, the response time is 2-3 seconds. For this reason and this reason alone, a USED CT is worth the investment.

Good luck no matter what your decision, but this is my $.02, and I say this having had over 20 years of frustration with RacerMate management and owners.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Computrainer: bulletproof; easy to set up; works like a charm with the ever evolving Trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems odd since I don't need a PM for my Kickr. Best part is I just jump on and ride and don't have to worry about playing around to get it to work.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
My buddy and I took a different approach to this and recently compared. I got myself a used 2002 CT Pro and he got himself a KICKR. The issues I hear people mentioning here about wires is a moot point IMO. I've taken the wires, run them below the matt and I cut a slit for them to come out from under the mat and plug into the load generator. My controller is mounted to a Microphone stand and the wires run up through the stand into the controller. The only wire you can see is the Cadence one that is on my rear non-drive side chainstay and even that is again routed through a small slit cut in my matt and fed up. I've been using a laptop circa 2008 to run TrainerRoad, Zwift, RacerMate One and I've had no problems (granted it has a decent video card).

My buddy bought himself a KICKR at the same time. He's had trouble getting it to work with his iPad, his TrainerRoad interface has much less options, he can't watch movies or races during his sessions, and he has the accuracy issues. He is happy with it but when he came to use my setup he was KICKRING himself in the ass. He wishes he had taken my approach to the "Smart Trainer" setup and pocketed the extra cash.

I bought my CT for $800 all in (Canadian $)
His KICKR was $1300 (Canadian $)

Hope that helps

My kickr works great and only cost me $900 Canadian. I use mine all the time and works fine with TrainerRoad. The only difference is when using it with the iPad it won't give you the 3 second count down when the next interval is starting. Although they are planning adding this feature soon. I also watch ITU TriathlonLIVE with TrainerRoad. The only thing I haven't been able to do with it is have Zwift and TrainerRoad on the same screen. So I Zwift on my monitor and TrainerRoad on the iPad.

I also have a Kurt Kinetic that works great as well.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
Seems odd since I don't need a PM for my Kickr. Best part is I just jump on and ride and don't have to worry about playing around to get it to work.

seems odd since I don't need a PM for my CT. Best part is I jump on and ride and don't have to worry about about playing around to get it to work.

oh yeah, I forgot about the 20 seconds I lose having to calibrate the CT which I have set for the 9 min mark.

Kickr or CT, all good either way
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a CT which I love.... I dislike all the extra cables, and I popped a tube the other day on it, but otherwise, it's been really good.

If I travel somewhere (inlaws for xmas, for instance) and wanted to bring it along, it'd be a nightmare to pack up all the wires, etc... So that could be a consideration for some.

There is not much love for the PowerBeam Pro on here.. seems CT or Kickr and that's it. Any thoughts as to why? Good compromise between the two systems, $100 less than a Kickr and a head unit that is pretty slick.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hardidu wrote:
I've got a CT which I love.... I dislike all the extra cables, and I popped a tube the other day on it, but otherwise, it's been really good.

If I travel somewhere (inlaws for xmas, for instance) and wanted to bring it along, it'd be a nightmare to pack up all the wires, etc... So that could be a consideration for some.

There is not much love for the PowerBeam Pro on here.. seems CT or Kickr and that's it. Any thoughts as to why? Good compromise between the two systems, $100 less than a Kickr and a head unit that is pretty slick.

The wires are a mess to travel with, I'll concede that as I've been traveling a lot with my CT lately. I genuinely don't know why the PowerBeam Pro doesn't get more love. The bonus of that trainer is that you can take it with you to a TT to warmup as it functions like a normal fluid/mag trainer when you don't have power.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The bonus of that trainer is that you can take it with you to a TT to warmup as it functions like a normal fluid/mag trainer when you don't have power.

I didn't realize that... cool feature! I think DCRainmaker said that the accuacy was about 5%.... versus 1-3% for the other two... perhaps that's a reason?
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize it was that inaccurate. That would be a good reason but, honestly, that seems suspiciously inaccurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whareagle wrote:
MY #1 problem with Kickr is this - the ramp up to load for shorter intervals takes WAY TOO LONG, like 15-25 seconds. On a CT, if you're doing load-based intervals, the response time is 2-3 seconds. For this reason and this reason alone, a USED CT is worth the investment.

15-25 seconds? Is that your experience? Mine takes about 3 seconds to hit full power for a short interval. Look at my file from Tuesday, and zoom in on the three short sprints during the warmup. You'll see that it takes about 3 seconds to go from 150W to 525W.

https://www.strava.com/activities/312492321/overview

Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2% for the Kickr, 2.5% for the CT and 5% for the PBP

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...=4311,4312,4314,4315
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
lightheir wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
The KICKR accuracy/drift issue is also amplified tenfold here on ST because it's a very vocal minority. The vast majority of KICKR owners do not or have not had this issue. Mine was within a couple percent to my Quarq right out of the box. Not discounting the issue because I'd be pissed if mine was 30W off too but anyone reading ST would believe 99% of KICKRs were faulty when that's just not the reality.

Fully agree with you that most of the complaints originate from a subset of users. The problem is, I suspect that most users have no way to validate the accuracy and consistency of their specific Kickrs. My point is that I'd want greater assurance about the unit out of the box.

This said, for the most Kickr users, accuracy and consistency really isn't an issue that will come into play for their training. A good principle is to keep things simple, unless a use case situation arises that is predicated on complexity. Indoor training isn't one of them, I don't think, though I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Not only that, all the vocal Kickr critics seem to by default use their 'non-Kickr power device' as the gold standard without a good reason for choosing it as the gold standard. Obviously if the Quarq is off your real FTP by -10 watts, and the Kickr is +10 watts, they're both about equally inaccurate, but you're going to blame the Kickr for being +20 watts off the Quarq and thus 'unsuable' if you don't reference correctly.

I think a few folks have been able to beta test against multiple simultaneous PMs which makes a better case for a 'gold standard reference', but the vast majority of folks automatically assume their powermeters are 100% accurate, which is certainly not necessarily the case. I do get that if you race with a powermeter, you want your Kickr to reflect your race equipment, but that still doesn't mean you can critique the Kickr for being off if you can't justify the powermeter as being 100% accurate.

100% on the mark. Comparing two devices without an external reference (a solid calibration method for one, for instance) won't yield a lot of actionable information.

You can say what you want to... but my KICKR was WAY OFF.

People who train with power know what 225 (or any given power) watts FEELS like ROUGHLY. On my KICKR it was way too easy.

I used my SRM and the Garmin to confirm the discrepancy. Yes... my SRM might be off a bit, but I recalculated my slope to confirm accuracy.

I now use PerfPro to control my SRM to control my KICKR... and the numbers are dead on in terms of interval average power.

The KICKR alone was easily 30-40 watts off. If someone can't tell the difference between 225 and 185... they have a problem.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
If you don't already have a PM, get one and then get a trainer and subscribe.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
lightheir wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
The KICKR accuracy/drift issue is also amplified tenfold here on ST because it's a very vocal minority. The vast majority of KICKR owners do not or have not had this issue. Mine was within a couple percent to my Quarq right out of the box. Not discounting the issue because I'd be pissed if mine was 30W off too but anyone reading ST would believe 99% of KICKRs were faulty when that's just not the reality.

Fully agree with you that most of the complaints originate from a subset of users. The problem is, I suspect that most users have no way to validate the accuracy and consistency of their specific Kickrs. My point is that I'd want greater assurance about the unit out of the box.

This said, for the most Kickr users, accuracy and consistency really isn't an issue that will come into play for their training. A good principle is to keep things simple, unless a use case situation arises that is predicated on complexity. Indoor training isn't one of them, I don't think, though I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Not only that, all the vocal Kickr critics seem to by default use their 'non-Kickr power device' as the gold standard without a good reason for choosing it as the gold standard. Obviously if the Quarq is off your real FTP by -10 watts, and the Kickr is +10 watts, they're both about equally inaccurate, but you're going to blame the Kickr for being +20 watts off the Quarq and thus 'unsuable' if you don't reference correctly.

I think a few folks have been able to beta test against multiple simultaneous PMs which makes a better case for a 'gold standard reference', but the vast majority of folks automatically assume their powermeters are 100% accurate, which is certainly not necessarily the case. I do get that if you race with a powermeter, you want your Kickr to reflect your race equipment, but that still doesn't mean you can critique the Kickr for being off if you can't justify the powermeter as being 100% accurate.

100% on the mark. Comparing two devices without an external reference (a solid calibration method for one, for instance) won't yield a lot of actionable information.

You can say what you want to... but my KICKR was WAY OFF.

People who train with power know what 225 (or any given power) watts FEELS like ROUGHLY. On my KICKR it was way too easy.

I used my SRM and the Garmin to confirm the discrepancy. Yes... my SRM might be off a bit, but I recalculated my slope to confirm accuracy.

I now use PerfPro to control my SRM to control my KICKR... and the numbers are dead on in terms of interval average power.

The KICKR alone was easily 30-40 watts off. If someone can't tell the difference between 225 and 185... they have a problem.

I agree with you--and as you recalculated your slope, you have the basis for evaluation. And I also agree with you in that one should be able to feel forty watts difference during an extended steady effort. I suspect that most people who have a PM won't have the faintest idea as to how to check and calibrate it, hence they're shooting in the dark with one-to-one comparisons.

Yup... and I also think that those people without a PM probably wouldn't care anyway. It's just the psychos like me (and maybe you)... who make a big deal about it.

I have a friend I ride with... a pretty strong guy (with no external PM)... called him a few months ago to tell him my KICKR was way off and that his might be too. He said "So what... Im still riding hard and improving." :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [bloodninja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodninja wrote:
Whareagle wrote:

15-25 seconds? Is that your experience? Mine takes about 3 seconds to hit full power for a short interval. Look at my file from Tuesday, and zoom in on the three short sprints during the warmup. You'll see that it takes about 3 seconds to go from 150W to 525W.

I agree with this. I did structured workouts throughout the winter on my kickr, and it would ramp from one wattage to another within a couple seconds (though sometimes it seemed to miss the "change wattage" command). I think I've heard that the new "slave to a separate ANT+ PM" feature might be a bit slow though. One crazy option in this case might be to try moving your kickr closer to your PC or tablet that is sending the commands, in case they're getting missed.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: May 28, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Why should I buy a computrainer over a kickr [bloodninja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodninja wrote:
Whareagle wrote:

Perhaps they've fixed it with a recent firmware update, but IMHO, I've had about six clients globally who owned them, and we all ended up switching back to CT's because the Kickr's could not keep up with short-intervals, Tabata's being the sort of prime example. The Kickr's basically allowed them to 'cheat' the workout, at speed and cadence values that were unrealistic. We made the folks in Georgia aware of this, they acknowledged it, but they deferred on the time for possible updates or fixes.

We also had several that were NOT accurate. We tested against P2M's, Quarqs, and Vectors, and it was painfully obvious that the Kickr's needed a better calibration system, and suffered watt-drift over the hour.

The CompuTrainer is no beauty. I hate the stand, the controller is hard to read and painfully obsolete, but the load generator just plain works, and they DO have a decent recalibration/refurb system at RacerMate.

Finally, if you have a CT that you're convinced just isn't reading right, IM or email me off-list, and I'll show you the manual potentiometer you can tweak to get the slope adjusted for your personal accuracy or goals.

Richard Wharton, USAC L1 since 1997.
Technology, Application, Attention, Success
http://www.onlinebikecoach.com, http://www.cyclingcenterdallas.com
#whareagle, #leavewithnothingleft, #knowyournumbers, #numbersdontlie
Quote Reply

Prev Next