Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread, NickB!

I just got back from a large block of velodrome aero testing, and finally got to read through this thread more carefully. I hope you don't mind if I share some thoughts on this. I hope this doesn't come across as an advertisement. It is meant a reminder that aero testing is becoming more and more important. And that, no matter how you do it (self-test, wind tunnel, test with us), you will be well served to do it.

A little background... In late 2009 I started working on what became Aerolab. I had been reading about The Chung Method, and had been exchanging ideas with quite a number of wattage list and Slowtwitch people. My thinking was that if we could only create a responsive interface with sliders, users could find the right Crr and CdA from power files. This became the Aerolab module in GoldenCheetah. Later, with a group of friends, we turned it into a business called Alphamantis Technologies. I have to admit that learning what needed to happen to get meaningful numbers has been a long, 5-year process. A long, humbling process, at that.

As it turns out -- and as Andy Coggan rightly pointed out -- a tiny puff of wind could really play havoc on the results. We've learned a lot more about aero testing since then, and have done most of our aero testing on velodromes. It's good enough for about 8 Pro Tour teams, including Team SKY, and a number of top triathletes. 6 olympic federations use our velodrome system on a regular basis. And we've intergrated the feedback they give us into better and better algorithms.

So, from our vantage point, we have seen the kind of gains that can be had from aero testing, especially the very first time. We often see 4-8% gains from a first time aero test. That can be anywhere from 5-20 watts. Imagine you have a rubbing brake that you don't know about. That's what's happening when you don't measure your aerodynamic drag. Even for riders who have aero tested before, bike positioning is never final, and aero gains are still sometimes substantial. Optimising for aero is an ongoing process, and has to be linked to high-quality bike fitting.

This year especially, we've seen a huge spike in the number of people who are asking to be aero tested. Perhaps they're being quiet about it, not to tip off their competition. We've also seen a huge spike in the number of pro teams that want to test. I'm sure there's a corresponding spike in demand at the various wind tunnels, too. It's a technology that we are trying to make more and more accessible to the masses, and that people are starting to see the value in.

This thread -- which we didn't start, btw -- is quite useful in helping us identify what will help add the most value to the triathlon and cycling community. Thank you for all the responses. You definitely have our attention!

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: May 30, 15 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
As it turns out -- and as Andy Coggan rightly pointed out -- a tiny puff of wind could really play havoc on the results.
Just to clarify, a tiny puff of wind creates a transient error in the results, which you can often spot and elide. This is similar to spotting the effect of a single passing car (or a single use of the brakes). The problem is when you don't have a tiny puff but a lot of variable puffs, of different speeds and directions. The classic approach looks at averages over runs so variability within a run is invisible and gets tossed into the error term. Sequencing the data and doing loops or laps lets you examine variability within runs so you have a clue where to look, and a chance to elide. Of course, if you have a lot of variable puffs you still may not know what your CdA is -- but you'll have a better idea about the source of error and its magnitude. I think the view that a tiny puff of wind vitiates results is a tad too simple. I think you can still learn something useful in non-perfect situations. (But that's my day job: developing methods of analysis that work acceptably in the presence of crappy or flawed data so you can learn something. We don't typically get the opportunity to run experiments so we have figure out ways to live with imperfection).
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Even for riders who have aero tested before, bike positioning is never final, and aero gains are still sometimes substantial. Optimising for aero is an ongoing process, and has to be linked to high-quality bike fitting."

Very wise words!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [2011ironorbea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I....also feel it is pointless to worry about aero to the point of getting tested until I would actually be competitive by being in my ideal position

You're ideal position is among your most aero positions.

I can think of maybe 2 out of the 45-55 people I've tested where we didn't change their position. One of them had a CdA of .19x, the other was already pretty slippery as well.

While not a fitting, part of the process is fitting you to your bike so you are comfy and aero.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because there are enough big mirror like store windows on my training routes and a joint in the middle of my arms ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. with a body the legs come very close while breathing deep :-)

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it about 5 years ago. The position turned out to be pretty painful to ride and the biggest improvement was switching to the Giro Advantage 2 (I think that is the correct helmet). Well that was 2 helmets ago and I had to revise the position anyway. My point is that aero testing has a shelf life.

That said, I will go if they do the aero testing at the Colorado Springs Velodrome this winter. I won't do a tunnel again because riding in a fixed position never works for me. I have done a bunch of fits before and what felt fine in the studio sucks on the road. Bike fit for me is riding around with an Allen wrench.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have a trail right next to my house that is a 7 mile uninterrupted paved loop.

So let's say I start a spreadsheet and just test everything at a constant power.

Can you point to where I would even start? Do I start with my seat position or aero pad position or wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Can you point to where I would even start? Do I start with my seat position or aero pad position or wheels?

Without knowing your current CdA, or current equipment, or current position, or current size? Hmmm. That's a big ask. Of that list, wheels probably last.

However, http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1734524#1734524
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

How would I tell what sort of confidence to have in the average value? What precision and accuracy would be expected in windless conditions?

good questions!

I've never been comfortable with the arbitrariness of "eyeball leveling" things (the blessing and curse of the chung method). I've seen false positives with this approach. It's been awhile, but when I field test I use the WLB method, which gives an estimate (of the error/confidence) of the reported CxA (and/or Crr).

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Last edited by: BikeTechReview: May 31, 15 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since few of us have the time/money/inclination to get to a wind tunnel, the very basic approach of having someone take a photo of us while we ride might be an option. It's easy enough to arrange - either a person roadside or a driver and passenger - and gives us a non-trivial amount of information.

Our actual fit-on-the bike and aero position are going to vary from the idealised fit that we've set up in our garages or LBS. It makes sense to measure and watch that too.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another for Colorado Springs. I could easily recruit others as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Without knowing your current CdA, or current equipment, or current position, or current size? Hmmm. That's a big ask. Of that list, wheels probably last.

However, http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1734524#1734524

Thanks for the link.
I don't know my CdA but I'll give you some info if it helps.

I am 5'8" and 175 lbs.
Equipment:
2012 Specialized Shiv Expert - small
Ultegra 11 spd groups
OEM basebar and pads
165mm cranks
Zipp 404fc front and back
23mm Conti 4000SII tires w/ butyl tubes (I have latex that I will switch to)
Powertap G3
Specialized Evade helmet

Posting a pic on this site is very frustrating, otherwise I would put a pic with my position on it.
But I can give you stats:
At 165 watts avg - I avg about 20mph
140 watt avg -> avg of 19mph
Recent Olympic tri, I avg 210 watts for 22.2 mph avg
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: RChung: May 31, 15 20:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so in your mind, how much wind is too much wind?
2mph, 5mph? 10? and thanks for the earlier advice on Shening on the kissena track
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
RChung wrote:
Running track would work, if you don't get yelled at by Mrs. Bowman. The Crr will be out of this world but the CdA should be independent of that.

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/.../recommendations.pdf

Back in the mid 70s another Cornell cyclist and I would drive up to Rochester and trainon one of the early rubberized tracks. It always felt like we were cycling with near flat tires but gave us an excellent workout albeit at lower than expected speed.

Hugh

Bumping an old thread, but reading this it just occurred to me that riding my mountain bike on the local crushed gravel track would be an excellent spot for some high intensity "repeatable" work and I could mix running and biking intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Bumping an old thread
You know how AndyF looks for "platypus" for that other thread? I look for "Mrs. Bowman" when I want to find this thread.
Quote Reply

Prev Next