Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Sensor Questions - Accuracy and Front Hub Location
Quote | Reply
1) Is the speed sensor (Garmin) more accurate than using GPS for speed?

2) Is there an issue with mounting the sensor (the new style that mounts on the hub) on the front hub...since I am running a disc. Would there be an aero penalty?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Sensor Questions - Accuracy and Front Hub Location [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
yes, but unless you're using a power meter for stuff like field aero testing or some odd circumstance (like MTB with tons of switchbacks on steep, heavily tree-covered terrain), the differences are negligible.

NeverEnough wrote:
2) Is there an issue with mounting the sensor (the new style that mounts on the hub) on the front hub...since I am running a disc. Would there be an aero penalty?

it's fine if it fits on your fork. that said, gluing a small magnet to the surface of the disc (or inside the valve hole cutout) works fine for the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Sensor Questions - Accuracy and Front Hub Location [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The advantage of a speed sensor is that it updates much faster than a GPS. Accuracy isn't really that different (and can be worse if you have the wheel size measured inexactly).

The garmin hub unit should work on either wheel, and yes there is a slight aero penalty.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Sensor Questions - Accuracy and Front Hub Location [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh, I just posted about this to a thread on field testing. I just tried using a front hub speed sensor for that over the weekend and liked it a lot. Messing with gluing magnets and making sure things line up is a morass that I'm glad to be done with. That being said, I plan to use the speed sensor only for aero testing; it will come off for any race (one advantage is how easy it mounts and unmounts).
Quote Reply