Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Allergy sufferers????
Quote | Reply
Do any allergy sufferers have any info regarding allergy meds and cramping or any other performance issues??? I have had 9 sinus/upper respiratory infections in the past 17 months I am trying different meds and was hoping to learn from some past experience, granted I may have a different one.. I have an upcoming apt with an ENT Dr and have seen my primary who has started allergy testing while advising me to start taking Allegra daily.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [Squidbilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear of your problem. last year i had 4 respiratory "issues" from late April to mid June, occurring on average once every two weeks. Then just like that, it went away during the summer and didn't return. Royally messed up my season as two of the flare-ups coincided with stage races i was targeting, not to mention that the down times really prevented me from building up my form.

The doctors didn't have many things to say, but what I did have been the follows from early Spring until late Fall: 2 zyrtec tablets daily, 1 flonase spray in each nostril daily, nasal saline rinse after exercising and any prolonged time spent outside, and another flonase spray after the rinse.

Thus far, this year has been quite a bit better in comparison (knock on wood). I think the saline rinse really helps to clear away pollen so that there won't be as much inflation and need to blow your nose. I think it's the inflammations and whatever damages caused by blowing your nose that makes one more susceptible to infections. Also, if you haven't done this already: always wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, was for at least 30 before touching your eyes, and try not to touch your eyes or your nose unless necessary (for me, that would be for putting on and taking off contacts).

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have allergic reactions to the chlorine in pools, not as bad as yours though.
Right after each swim I rinse my sinuses with Hydra sense, it helps.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a lifelong allergy sufferer, here is what finally worked for me after years of shots, meds, etc.

1. Salt water sinus rinse daily. Just make it part of your shower routine. The easiest to use is the Neil Med squirt bottle.

You will notice immediate relief if you do a sinus rinse right after a workout as you sucked in bonus volumes of allergens.

2. Get a steroidal sinus spray. I was told by my doctor that your body will not absorb the steroids but I never checked because I don't care. It works so well that I would keep using the spray regardless.

Combine these 2 daily maintenance items and you will never use the drugs. For me, the drugs either did nothing or I had to takes dosages so high that I still kept sneezing but now I either fell asleep or got really bad jitters as a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Neil Med
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a noseclip in the pool. This may vastly improve your allergy symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have fairly significant allergies year round. For me, there's a direct correlation between having bigger reactions and muscle tightness/tension throughout my body. Everything gets very stiff and I have to be extra diligent about stretching well. The only thing that works for me is prescription Nasonex. Everything else I tried has little to no any affect at all. Be forewarned it's CRAZY expensive (like $200). I have one of those high deductible health plans and I max it out with this stuff easy. I have to use it before going to bed - I've found that's where I get the most benefit. Otherwise, I'm too tense and don't sleep well at all regardless of how many hours I'm asleep. For me, I'd be screwed without it. I hope you find something that works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everytime I would swim open water I would have a sinus attack a few hours later that would last a day or two. Talked to my Dr about it and he wrote a Rx for fluticasone ( Flonase). I use it daily and take a loratadine tablet on days I swim. Now I may get a runny nose once and awhile after a particularly long swim but it's definitely better than a 2-3 day full blown sinus attack with pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Wear a noseclip in the pool. This may vastly improve your allergy symptoms.

My symptoms seem to be worse in spring and fall.. Do you still think a nose plug will benefit me??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat probably 10 years ago. Allergy shots have reduced my sinus infections to maybe 1 every 2 years. Yes they are a pain in the ass and time consuming, but they are a more permanent solution. I would say that I started seeing improvements within 3 months of starting them. They have definitely improved my performance more than trying to take antihistamines.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [guy2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guy2600 wrote:
I have fairly significant allergies year round. For me, there's a direct correlation between having bigger reactions and muscle tightness/tension throughout my body. Everything gets very stiff and I have to be extra diligent about stretching well. The only thing that works for me is prescription Nasonex. Everything else I tried has little to no any affect at all. Be forewarned it's CRAZY expensive (like $200). I have one of those high deductible health plans and I max it out with this stuff easy. I have to use it before going to bed - I've found that's where I get the most benefit. Otherwise, I'm too tense and don't sleep well at all regardless of how many hours I'm asleep. For me, I'd be screwed without it. I hope you find something that works!
Crazy expensive??? I have some good news for you. Nasacort and Flonase are both available over the counter for less than $20 a month now. It's been that way for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll get howled down by the naysayers but ditch grains from your diet like I did and up Omega 3 fats (not pills, real food). I used to get hayfever, colds etc. Haven't had anything like that for nearly three years. Just try it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did the allergy shots over the winter at once a week, now it's starting to get to the once a month dose, so far no sping allergy issues or the usual sinus infection. it's a pain getting the shots weekly, but it's nice being symptom free. It also depends on the allergy, i'm ragweed and tree pollen, so i guess it responds well to the shots
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [toolbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toolbox wrote:
I'll get howled down by the naysayers but ditch grains from your diet like I did and up Omega 3 fats (not pills, real food). I used to get hayfever, colds etc. Haven't had anything like that for nearly three years. Just try it

and rightly so. your single anecdote does not represent anything statistically significant or relevant. And even if you are right, perhaps it worked because you actually are part of the 1% population that actually has gluten intolerance, but it would be amiss for you to extend the same assumption to everyone else.

I haven't ditched grain, I load up on Omega 3 via pills, and I eat a lot of oranges, both last year and this year; yet I'm having much better results this year (knock on wood).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Sinus rinse either everyday or every other day.
2. Allegra or Zyrtec daily.
3. Singulair daily when it gets bad or when my exercise induced asthma kicks in.
4. Flonase daily when it gets bad.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mouth breather here.

I have had the best daily luck as others have mentioned with a sinus rinse, some mornings it is so bad I can't even get it in but the little through helps. I just use a cvs neti pot since I get so blocked up the squeeze ones are a pain it's like nothing nothing.. OMG water hit my brain.

I switch off between zyrtec and allegra (generics on both), 2 30mg sudafed a day, and a single mucinex, DR wanted me on more but even the generics are insanely priced and the draining my throat is annoying. The latter seems to help keep things loose and i haven't had too many issues with them backing up pressure into my ears. A few times it is so bad I could hear my ear hairs moving around when chewing! And my office is on a race track but since I Can give myself motion sickness I don't even get to enjoy our sessions :(.. Need to visit the DR again after eagleman I think.

Sometimes I try to go off the meds for a few weeks and just rinse but after the last few times of doing that i've ended up quite backed up and while I like knowing i'm not taking in any drugs, doesn't seem like I can do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifelong sufferer. I have tried many remedies but have settled on Allegra non drowsy. Might get some irritation if swimming in a lake covered in pollen but for daily use this works for me. I use it 24/7 from April/May til October. I do suffer on some really bad days if the ragweed count is high but am pretty stable. Dont notice any cramping etc. I flew in the military and was cleared to use it so I feel pretty safe. Wash your hands and only use tissue and never a hankie. Keep your hands away from your eyes if youve been out cycling/running for a long time, wash your face.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [toolbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toolbox wrote:

I've been loading up on Omega 3's also. I chose the pill route and selected one with a guaranteed amount of EPA.
Red wine, open water swims, chlorine, lying down at night to sleep, yard work and bike rides in the country where bahia grass grows ....all used to leave me totally congested. . I still take an antihistimine occasionally, but quite the steroid sprays. I really didn't think my sinuses could be this clear. My sense of smell is amazingly better...not always good when hubby has gas though : (
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should definitely may a appointment with a allergy doctor in your area. They will test you against all kind of things in your area and mix a potion that is for you. I get a shot once a week and it is a big help. +1 on the neti pot, when it really gets bad I still do it daily along with Flonase.
Quote Reply
Re: Allergy sufferers???? [GWcanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great information folks... Thanks.. Does anyone notice that any OTC allergy meds cause dehydration???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found generic antihistamine is as good as the branded ones but way cheaper. Also, for my drink mixture for hydration/nutrition, i use a local honey as the sweetener/sugar. Eating local honey is supposed to help build up a resistance to local pollens. Certainly doesnt hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone notice that any OTC allergy meds cause dehydration???

anticholinergic side effect. Switch to an antihistamine that doesn't cross the blood brain barrier.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is something I wrote on allergies antihistamines many, many years ago:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=421832#421832

Here is something I wrote more recently: http://trstriathlon.com/...10991/#Comment_10991

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has had the dubious pleasure of putting a toilet roll on his desk, and just letting the nose drip... I no longer have to use anti-histamines. Everyone's allergies are potentially different, but I'll share what works for me. Maybe it works for you, too.

This is free advice. It's price is $ 0.00, and so is it's value. Speak to a professional, and ask 1,000 questions. Then ask another question.

Wash your nose. Often. I find the easiest and cheapest is to use a large syringe (no needle) like a water pistol up your nose. Use it very, very slowly -- not too much pressure. It will give relief, and prevent the infection spreading further down. As soon as it gets to the throat, gargle immediately.

I find that I build up a tolerance to antihistamines. They work fine for a while, and then I have to switch. If your meds stop working after 6 weeks, go back to your ENT.

If chlorine triggers it, wear a nose clip in the pool. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Foods can trigger it. It took me 39 years to find out lactose is by far my worst offender. It did not show up in the usual pinprick allergy tests. If I drink a glass of milk today, tomorrow I sneeze. I don't want to make lactose the villain: I tried different things. If you can find your trigger, that's great. Spend one week cutting out one thing; move on to the next. Don't cut everything simultaneously.

Remember that your nose is meant to have a little bit of moisture inside it. One sneeze a day isn't a problem. Waking up in the middle of the night drowning in snot is a problem.

Good luck.
Quote Reply