Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light?
Quote | Reply
So, UTI age group champs in sprint distance will be draft-legal next year. Does that mean it's only a matter of time before standard distance goes that way too?. Anyone know why the change? Will this neutralise the bike leg in AG racing the way it does in elite racing?

To me, it sounds like a recipe for accidents to happen. I come from a cycling background, but I don't want to be riding up close to those who've never ridden in a tight group before.

I can see that it would stop all the cheating that goes on, because wheel-sucking would be perfectly legal. On the other hand though, at most AG events there are multipIe races going on at once, the most obvious manifestation of which is that men and women are often on the course at the same time. It may be possible to avoid the wheels of riders of the other sex, but not of riders in different AGs. Inevitably riders will be taking pulls from those who are not in their race.
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [alexxm21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let it began...UTI: urinary tract infection?
I am assuming you mean the International Triathlon Union (ITU).

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops, yes
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [alexxm21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Canada to ride in draft legal races you need to obtain a certification. This is to ensure you've been educated as to the proper ways to avoid crashing etc. I'm actually going to be partaking in a clinic this weekend to get my license well in advance of the 2016 Worlds. I am not sure what the USA and other countries are doing for this but I'd imagine it's similar as the ITU itself probably passed this requirement down for safety reasons.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No
2. Because triathlon goes on in other countries too and they like it.
3. No, it will emphasize the swim leg

If you don't want to do a draft legal race, you're in luck, there are very few of them. I come from a cycling background too and I know how to pick and choose who I ride close to.

Drafting is only one way to cheat, there are many other ways to cheat as well.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to this page Triathlon Canada will not require any certification:

http://www.triathloncanada.com/en/news/latest/?id=3793

Triathlon Canada will NOT require Age Group Draft Legal accreditation certificates or proof of Age Group Draft Legal skills at Canadian Sprint Championships and National Qualifying sprint events.

Perhaps it's just the local race director that required a certification? Or maybe that is the way it is now and will change soon?
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's changing as there haven't been many age group draft legal races until this year. This is the new release I got a few weeks ago

May 13, 2015Triathlon Ontario, the recognized Provincial Governing Body of Multisport in Ontario, announced today the addition of a draft legal race at the June 21, 2015 Toronto Triathlon Festival. The draft legal race for the Junior division (ages 16-19) and the draft legal race for the Elite/U23 division (ages 20 and older) will be apart of the new Junior Cup and Elite/U23 Cup.

The Junior Cup will now be a best three results of four races and the Elite/U23 Cup will now be a best two results of three races to determine the winners of the Series.

In order to participate athletes must be draft legal certified, members of Triathlon Ontario or their home Provincial Governing Body, and for those athletes that are 24 years of age or older, have official Elite status.

Registration for the draft legal events at the TTF will be ready shortly.

The updated Cup Series venues are as follows:

June 21, Toronto Triathlon Festival - Junior and Elite/U23 Cups

July 5, Belle River Triathlon - Youth, Junior and Elite/U23 Cups

August 1, Draft Legal Provincial Championships - Youth, Junior and Elite/U23 Cups

August 15, Orillia KOS - Youth Cup

August 30, Dunrobin KOS - Youth and Junior Cups

September 12, MSC Lakeside - Youth Cup

------
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any age group draft legal in there? Cuz I'm looking for some.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% sure but this weekend when I do the clinic I'm looking to have a conversation with the organizers. I can't find it now but the requirements for the license are to race X number of times over x number of years or you lose the certification. I think it was 5 races over 3 years but I'll do my best to confirm that. I'll post any and all details I get this weekend here (weather permitting)

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: May 25, 15 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
1. No
2. Because triathlon goes on in other countries too and they like it.
3. No, it will emphasize the swim leg

If you don't want to do a draft legal race, you're in luck, there are very few of them. I come from a cycling background too and I know how to pick and choose who I ride close to.

Drafting is only one way to cheat, there are many other ways to cheat as well.

jaretj

What does your point numbered 2 mean? Whilst it is impressive, for an American, that you acknowledge that "other countries" exist, it would be even more impressive if you had had the imagination to suppose that I might be in one of them.

And when you say in point 3, "No, it will emphasise the swim leg", do you actually mean yes - because the swim will become more important relative to the bike?

I do know that there are ways to cheat other than drafting.

And I don't doubt you can always tell who is going to hold a line before you get on their wheel. That's some skill you've got there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexxm21 wrote:
So, UTI age group champs in sprint distance will be draft-legal next year. Does that mean it's only a matter of time before standard distance goes that way too?. Anyone know why the change? Will this neutralise the bike leg in AG racing the way it does in elite racing?

To me, it sounds like a recipe for accidents to happen. I come from a cycling background, but I don't want to be riding up close to those who've never ridden in a tight group before.

I can see that it would stop all the cheating that goes on, because wheel-sucking would be perfectly legal. On the other hand though, at most AG events there are multipIe races going on at once, the most obvious manifestation of which is that men and women are often on the course at the same time. It may be possible to avoid the wheels of riders of the other sex, but not of riders in different AGs. Inevitably riders will be taking pulls from those who are not in their race.

The bike leg is pretty important in elite racing still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your second question
Anyone know why the change?
That is my answer to it

Your profile is incomplete, I checked. Most of the people here are from the US, I played the odds. How could I know?

Yes, the swim will be more important but the bike won't be neutralized

I've been riding for a long time. In groups for over 30 years. I'm good at reading people. If I don't know what they are going to do i stay away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one draft legal race, and I'll admit it was probably the most fun I've ever had at a triathlon. It's a shame that there aren't more in the U.S, and those which are draft legal are mainly pathways for the U25 and F1 series. The old schmucks like me (ripe old age of 28) can't even race in them unless we can produce significant results to make us somewhat competitive.

I get it though. Kind of tough to put on a draft legal race if you have 200+ participants, plus a majority of your sprint/oly competitors are there to finish, and probably shouldn't even consider being in a peloton going 24+ mph.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be in 2016.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Your second question
Anyone know why the change?
That is my answer to it

Your profile is incomplete, I checked. Most of the people here are from the US, I played the odds. How could I know?

Yes, the swim will be more important but the bike won't be neutralized

I've been riding for a long time. In groups for over 30 years. I'm good at reading people. If I don't know what they are going to do i stay away.

My point wasn't that you had made a mistake as to where I was from, it's that you gave an unbelievably patronising and frankly unintelligible answer to what I think was a reasonable question, i.e. what is the reason for the rule-change.

Why do you say that the existence of triathlon in "other countries" is relevant to this inquiry?

I'll help you out. When I raced in Spain a few weeks ago, I was surprised to find, when I was actually in the race, that groups of guys were openly drafting each other. Upon being told it was ok, I joined in (and, like someone said above, it was a blast - I had forgotten how much fun road racing can be). But then I realised that perhaps I shouldn't be drafting men, as I was in the women's race, and stopped, just in case. All very difficult, which led to my point as to how to keep drafting legal.

Is your point that other countries, other than the US, and the UK, where I'm from, run draft-legal short course and the change has come about to standardise racing across the various jurisdictions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from Australia where most of the races are organised by independent operations, although Triathlon Queensland (where I'm from) do hold a number of their own races.

I'm the president of our local club and we have an 8 race series (mostly sprint and mostly just for our local competitors) as well as an annual long course race which attracts competitors from all over the state as well as interstate.

I mention all this to show I have some knowledge of the racing scene in this country. I also know there is considerable reluctance from the independent race directors to offer draft legal races in the lead up to the introduction of ag draft legal races in 2016. Very few people are sure of how the changes are going to work in the real world and how it will affect competitor numbers at races that are already seeing a downward trend in numbers due to other outside factors.

It will be an interesting couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: UTI draft legal sprint 2016 - anyone shed some light? [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. I had wondered if the change might lead to a drop-off in participation, and particularly amongst the the numbers of women participating.

But I can't see how local races can continue to be run by different rules to qualifiers or the champs. It's going to be a real headache for RDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please ignore my answer if you are offended, I'm a nobody just trying to shed some light on what I thought you were asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done Worlds last year and will again be attending Worlds this year. Unfortunately this will be my last year attending Worlds as Im not interested in purchasing a new bike since aero bars will be illegal and only a true road bike set up will be aloud.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply