Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bike and Bike Setup for IRONMAN Nice
Quote | Reply
This is the course profile
http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/cdf1104505674d69927c1d64b1ba25a2/imfr2013%20plan%20bike%207oct2013.pdf
Given your expertise, if you can select any bike you want and load it however way you want, what would you do?

So far, my personal thoughts are Canyon Aeroad LTD with front and rear 404... Change the handlebars in order to fit a clip on bars.. all carbon.. bottle cages behind the seat.. compact crank with 11-28..

You?

Keep in mind, this would really influence my next purchase.. your professional advice is both costly but cost effectively as well..
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike and Bike Setup for IRONMAN Nice [Saqeralkhalifa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I asked this - or we had a discussion about this

I was going to ride my speedmax, but after 10 days in the Alps I decided to ride a Ultimate AL, clip-ons, reverse seat post, but I can get back on it for descending and climbing (I may stick with the original carbon seat post), a set of Power-Tap Wheels (they're OEM Reynolds I believe)

There is a discussion about this somewhere I started - it was 50/50 on road / tri - I can descend and climb far better on a road bike (or at least I'm far more comfortable) so thats what I'm rolling with
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT setup. Maybe no disc, but it's not that a hilly course. Couple of mildly technical downhills where shade requires you to pay attention to road quality. But otherwise, it's a TT set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are you staying in Nice? we've an apartment close to the start
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike and Bike Setup for IRONMAN Nice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure yet. But it will be in a hotel for sure because traveling with a large group. Thanks for the info, I did see the earlier post, but this one is asking if you have the ability to choose whatever bike you want, what would it be.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My choice is road but ive switched 11-28 for 11-32. 28 was fine climbing all day, don't know about running after though

If the temps in Bahrain are close to the temps here in Doha we'll need to take sweaters it will be so cold ;) 42+ when we finished our ride saturday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say best of luck to your crew. You will love the race at Nice. It is my all time favourite.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike and Bike Setup for IRONMAN Nice [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely a TT bike, but also definitely no disk wheel.
Pay attention at the first climb (sharp left turn from the main road)!

Beautiful course. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless they have changed the course in recent years, my suggestion would be to go with a road bike with clip on aerobars and a medium/deep dish rim wheels. If you have an aero road bike frame, that would be absolutely perfect. There are only a few flat sections on the course and they happen in the beginning and ending miles leading to/from transition out to/from the mountains. It didn't rain the year I competed but with the long descents, as well as a few shorter and steeper ones, you'll be glad to have numerous gripping options with a road bike, especially if it rains like is common in that area. I saw less than a handful of discs.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Last edited by: larsfinanger: May 26, 15 5:52
Quote Reply