Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open Water Swims in Long Island
Quote | Reply
Those that live on the Island, have you started your open water swims yet? Me thinks water is still too cold...brrrrr.
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swims in Long Island [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About to start in 30mins at west neck beach :)
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swims in Long Island [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're a brave man :) Any idea what the water temperature is? I usually swim in Sunken Medow but I think I need to wait another couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brighton was about 54 degrees yesterday when I was there. Double-cap it and you'll be fine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tobay is reporting 56 this morning, but that is a buoy just off shore, not in the cove where we swim, so maybe 60?

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Tobay-Beach

I know that the masters open water swim club was in the water last weekend at Heckscher field 5 and the picture on Facebook showed a woman in no wetsuit coming out of the water when they were done.

I plan to get in the water sometime this week or weekend. Philly is in 5 weeks.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be visiting from out of town this weekend and am looking for good places to swim on Long Island. Can anyone recommend a good open water swimming location? I'll be around the Huntington area, but have the ability to drive around a bit if necessary. How's the water these days?

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: Open Water Swims in Long Island [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunken meadow Park/beach is good. You can swim parallel to the beach, no waves. I went there 2 weeks ago for OWS and water temp was in the lower 50s. Hopefully we get some warmer days this week. The water at Challenge Quassy was in the lower 60s and was perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send a PM to hwangnyc above;
''

hwangnyc

May 25, 15 4:31

Post #2 of 7 (245 views)
Re: Open Water Swims in Long Island [avikoren1] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
About to start in 30mins at west neck beach :)

This is a group that awims there every weekend and I would guess that you would be welcome

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my inlaws live in Huntington and when we go to visit we have swam at Sunken Meadow State park, about a 20 minute drive. Easy place to swim open water along the shore.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Last edited by: Mike Plumb: Jun 8, 15 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temps are 55ish (+/-5, depending on location and weather). I did the Town of Huntington Tri at Crab Meadow Beach in Northport last week. It was low 50s (read: COLD) but do-able. Some 8 people had to be pulled out of the water with hypothermia, but these were all BOP swimmers, and 2 were skinny dudes wearing only rash guards and Speedos.

Pretty much anywhere is good for OWS at this point, unless of course you're extremely thin. Know your limits; NEVER swim alone!

If you're in the Huntington area, the place to go is West Neck Beach. From the downtown district, just go north on West Neck Road (look for the Citibank on the corner of 25A), up into Lloyd Harbor, past the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception (or as I like to call it, the Baby Mama's Boy's Club) and at the bottom of the hill, left into West Neck Beach. There's a group that swims there regularly called the West Neck Pod (you can find them on Facebook), they usually swim at 8am, with many ad hoc swims open to all.

Hope this helps!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KellyNCollier wrote:
I'll be visiting from out of town this weekend and am looking for good places to swim on Long Island. Can anyone recommend a good open water swimming location? I'll be around the Huntington area, but have the ability to drive around a bit if necessary. How's the water these days?

The town of Smithtown has been strictly enforcing some nanny law that they apparently have on the books about swimming at the beach when no lifeguard is on duty. I haven't taken the time to research what the ordinance actually says, but the cops have been threatening to arrest swimmers, so I would stay clear to Sunken Meadow.

Some of us have swam at Tobay this year with no problems and no hassles from any law enforcement. Apparently the Town of Oyster Bay is still being reasonable The water in the cove is well into the mid 60's. There is a group that swims there nearly every weeknight. A couple of them have guards on paddle boards that are watching the group. If you ask I'm sure they will watch you as well. That cove is non-motorized, by the way, so no concerns from power boats:

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Tobay-Beach

That is reporting from a buoy on the ocean side of the sand bar, so the cove is a lot warmer.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kelly water temp is 62 F. Probably fine.
http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/335.html

:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam yesterday at Asharoken beach which is just north of Northport on the neck. A bit cold for the hands and feet at first but we warmed up quickly and it was actually a really nice swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a fairly large group that swim regularly off of West Neck beach by the causeway to Lloyd Neck. Facebook page West Neck Pod.
Quote Reply