Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Educate me on tire pressure
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I have read many post and articles in regards to tire size and air pressure. I am currently switching my Flo wheels from a 23mm tire to a 25mm tire. The trend is that most people tend to put less air in their front tire then their back due to more weight being on the front. I did t put much thought into this thinking it was the norm. Well of course last night while lying in bed I started thinking about this. Why do we put less air in the front tire. I started to picture this and was thinking that we are trying to get the least amount of rolling resistance. With less air would that not flatten the tire creating more resistance. Then add your weight on top of that would that not even flatten the tire more creating even more resistance as the tire patch will be much wider and longer.
What am I missing here.
In Reply To:

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on tire pressure [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is more weight on the rear tire, and generally higher pressure gives you less rolling resistance (depends on the terrain). Everything else you said makes sense.
Last edited by: dtaylor: May 24, 15 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on rider weight, tire width, etc.. Take a read over this:

http://flocycling.blogspot.ca/...g-tire-pressure.html

It's not intuitive but at a certain point higher pressures are actually slower (not too mention way less comfortable to ride which will likely make you slower regardless).
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on tire pressure [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
Depends on rider weight, tire width, etc.. Take a read over this:

http://flocycling.blogspot.ca/...g-tire-pressure.html

It's not intuitive but at a certain point higher pressures are actually slower (not too mention way less comfortable to ride which will likely make you slower regardless).

^^^This.

If the tire pressure is too high, the bike has to bounce over bumps vs. having the tire deflection absorb them. To take things to an extreme, if higher pressure was better then we'd all just be riding metal rims with some rubber on them for grip.

The wider the tire, the lower the optimal pressure. Below are some mfg. recommended pressures. You might go +2.5psi in back and -2.5psi in front if you want to be more exact.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on tire pressure [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Being 160lbs and my bike roughly 18lbs I will try between 90-95psi. I usually inflate to 110psi on my 23mm tires.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always error a bit (5psi) on the high side....just because pinch flats are such a pita.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply