Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ?
Quote | Reply
Will I be giving up much from an aero standpoint ? Need to get long and low(er). TM01 fits my coordinates (515/420) well. Never was a fan of the look of the shiv and can do without integrated hydration or integrated storage for that matter. Want to simplify. Clean set up. Currently on shiv tri size small with 130mm stem. Profile design aeria. Di2. Super 9/808. Want a bike that climbs and descends well. Felt Da1 was consideration but frameset not available anywhere local. P2 would be another option close on fit if I could find one. Anyone made the same switch and care to share experience ? Should I wait for 2016 frameset (anyone have new release info) ? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you fit on a speed concept that would be my choice. If I remember correctly the BMCs are not particularly good in a cross wind. Trek, Cervelo and Canyon pretty much seem to have an edge over everyone else, but the Canyon isn't available here and seems to have some limited fit options.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canada has lots of P2...... Ottawa, Toronto and Montréal I know for a fact.....
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prob between a M and L on speed concept and could make the M work, but just looking to buy a frame based on optimum fit. Boardman TT air would be another option, but would have to drive 6hrs just to see one and have not seen any wind tunnel data on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might have to make the drive up with a stop at Cheetah's in Windsor on the way.

Surprised no TM01 owners have chimed in with their impression of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run a BMC TM01 in Med-Long.
Handles well, while shopping I test-rode a 1st gen Speed Concept and it didn't come close. Haven't been on a Shiv to compare.
Flexibility of fit with the stem set-up is amazing, incremental gains are very easy to achieve without any recabling or additional purchases.
Aero-wise there's the comparison charts from that german magazine floating around somewhere that showed a wide variety of bikes, without riders. From memory, the TM01 came out behind some of the competition, by approximately a bee's dick depending on where in the yaw angles it was. Improved fit would be more than enough to offset that. The stock base bar that was used in the comparison I think was fairly average, so that may also come into your consideration.
And I haven't had any issues with wind when running appropriate depth rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [OZgriffiths] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear some positive feedback. I decided to go ahead with the TM01 build in the M-L. Should be set up and dialed in by the end of next week. Will post a pic when its finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own both bikes. To me, the Time Machine feels like it wants to go in a straight line a lot more than the Shiv, climbs better, and accelerates better. The shiv handles much better, stops better (I have the Magura brakes, which I adore) and feels like it has less flex when you are pedaling hard. It feels slightly less stable on fast descents, but that could be my selection of bars as much as anything else. I think the Shiv moves around less in crosswinds, which confounds me. The Shiv is easier to travel with and service (those were the things that made me get it). They are both really fast bikes. My fit on both is identical, probably a little easier to do on the Shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atgnat wrote:
I own both bikes. To me, the Time Machine feels like it wants to go in a straight line a lot more than the Shiv, climbs better, and accelerates better. The shiv handles much better, stops better (I have the Magura brakes, which I adore) and feels like it has less flex when you are pedaling hard. It feels slightly less stable on fast descents, but that could be my selection of bars as much as anything else. I think the Shiv moves around less in crosswinds, which confounds me. The Shiv is easier to travel with and service (those were the things that made me get it). They are both really fast bikes. My fit on both is identical, probably a little easier to do on the Shiv.

Interested. I have a Shiv. However, I have always had bike envy of the BMC TM. I have heard that the BMC bikes are more temperamental than others....sounds like this is the case. Given my lack of mechanical skills, sounds like the BMC would not be the way to go!
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Interested. I have a Shiv. However, I have always had bike envy of the BMC TM. I have heard that the BMC bikes are more temperamental than others....sounds like this is the case. Given my lack of mechanical skills, sounds like the BMC would not be the way to go!

I am not the most mechanically gifted person out there and own a TM01. The only challenge I have ever had with it is the rear brake that may require removing the crank to adjust, but not for all adjustments. My racing and training wheels are same width, same pad type so this is a non issue for me.

Other than that, I can take it apart for travel in less than 5 minutes. My bag requires cockpit, seat, pedal and derailleur removal.

With the right set of tools (mostly a small torque wrench) it's pretty easy.

I would not say the TM01 is temperamental in any way.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch from shiv tri to BMC TM01 ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this. Rear brake can be a little fiddly, but I've only ever needed to take the crank off once. Recabling the bike and brakes takes a little precision and patience, but I'd have no concerns traveling with it.
Quote Reply