Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am a (broke ass) UC Berkeley senior, graduating in December. Just earlier this week, I used almost my entire savings ($1000) to purchase my first NEW bike: a red, 2015 Specialized Allez Sport. It was purchased from a local bike chain (Mikes Bikes).

Just last night I rode to the grocery store (Safeway on College/Claremont) and locked my bike out front of the store with a U-lock, using the provided bike racks (right by the doors to the store AND security cameras). However, when I came back out with my groceries 25 minutes later, the bike was gone and the U-lock had been cut! I had no idea someone could cut through these so quickly (and without being noticeably obvious), but they must've been carrying around the tool before they even saw the bike.

It just so happens that the whole thing took place 10ft in front of a video camera. I asked the staff of Safeway, and they said they could release the footage if it was requested by the police (once I file a police report). They said even then, there is not much I can do, even with the footage.

Do I have any hope of recovering my bike? What steps should I take to maximize this possibility? Thanks!

Last edited by: jakobsandberg: May 23, 15 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sucks to have your bike stolen. Good resources here, skip down to step 5 and good luck.

https://bikeeastbay.org/theft
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang dude I'd be more concerned with how you are going to live day to day. If I'm reading that correctly, you spent nearly all your savings on a bike? Can you pick up a 2nd job? Jobs were so freaking hard to come by during summer session when I was in school b/c everyone took light class loads and worked more. Hope you get the finances worked out AND your bike back.

add****if you can't get it back I bet there are some people here who would donate stuff you might need in the event you gotta build one out to save cash. i just checked and have a random specialized saddle i'd be happy to send and have a box of stems out on loan to a pal in GA doing fit tweaks so could find a stem in there. certain i have a pair of older shimano 3 bolt clipless pedals in a box somewhere too just gotta dig. let me know if you go the cheap build route and i'd be happy to send.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 23, 15 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay. Call up all the pawn shops that are withing 100 miles. Hope you get your bike back.
Last edited by: Breezie: May 23, 15 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this thread was going to be about accusing UC-Berkeley of bike theft.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
It sucks to have your bike stolen. Good resources here, skip down to step 5 and good luck.

https://bikeeastbay.org/theft

Good tips.
Check the Flea Market Flickr pool.
Cruise the Ashby BART flea market.
Register with bikeindex.org
Set up a Craigslist alert.

Sorry for your loss. Bike thieves are scum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats not a good u-lock, not thick enough will take 1-2 minutes to cut through, a good thief will do it in 20-30 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8
a single U-lock also does not protect your wheels/saddle from being taken.

there is a small amount of hope. do you have any pictures of the bike to report to police as well.

the best way to deter thieves is to have a bike that looks so rusted and crappy. if not carry 2-3 locks.

Nomally what would happen is the bike will be broken up/parted out and sold separate or if its rather nice becomes a thief's consolation prize which he/she will ride around.
for a $1000 bike buy $200 worth of locks

I used to go to UC Davis, I had my bike stolen after work, I had a damaged fork that I can recognize everywhere. My bike was red and silver, weeks after it happened I found it after class tailed it and stole it back from the thief with my own Bolt cutter, my bike was repainted black but i recognize the same damage on the fork.

Rain*
Last edited by: Rainstar: May 23, 15 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [Rainstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rainstar wrote:
thats not a good u-lock, not thick enough will take 1-2 minutes to cut through, a good thief will do it in 20-30 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8
a single U-lock also does not protect your wheels/saddle from being taken.

there is a small amount of hope. do you have any pictures of the bike to report to police as well.

the best way to deter thieves is to have a bike that looks so rusted and crappy. if not carry 2-3 locks.

Nomally what would happen is the bike will be broken up/parted out and sold separate or if its rather nice becomes a thief's consolation prize which he/she will ride around.
for a $1000 bike buy $200 worth of locks

I used to go to UC Davis, I had my bike stolen after work, I had a damaged fork that I can recognize everywhere. My bike was red and silver, weeks after it happened I found it after class tailed it and stole it back from the thief with my own Bolt cutter, my bike was repainted black but i recognize the same damage on the fork.

I'm curious how that would work if the cops were called and they found you cutting the lock, but you proved it was yours. Is there a way to get in trouble for taking back your property? I had my Trek MTB stolen from the library my freshman year and man that SUCKED getting people to take me to work and pick up. Boss at the golf course gave me enough of an advance to buy another one cheap so I could get self-sufficient, but damn I scoured the bike racks until I graduated to find it. Never did. Remember what they did to horse thieves in the old West?
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was a quick spur of the moment thing. I resold the bike few weeks after for the same price i purchased a year ago used it well.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [Rainstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rainstar wrote:
it was a quick spur of the moment thing. I resold the bike few weeks after for the same price i purchased a year ago used it well.

Oh and I certainly didn't mean the horse thievery comment to you, but at the idgit who stole it from you. Bike thieves just drive me nuts. I was fully prepared to do all I could do get my Trek back had I spotted it on a rack somewhere and never once thought about the consequences of stealing back my own bike at that time either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your stolen bike. Do you have renter's insurance? I had a MTB stolen in broad daylight off Michigan Ave. in Chicago. The retail price was about $750 at the time. My renter's insurance covered it minus a $100 deductible. All I needed to do was a provide a police report. I wasn't making a lot of money at the time, so it really helped. Good luck!

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aww man, that sucks. As a (broke ass) High School student I couldn't imagine having my bike stolen. And I don't have a license yet, so a car wouldn't help either. Nothing more to add except relentlessly scour eBay/craigslist/pawnshops.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Sorry to hear about your stolen bike. Do you have renter's insurance? I had a MTB stolen in broad daylight off Michigan Ave. in Chicago. The retail price was about $750 at the time. My renter's insurance covered it minus a $100 deductible. All I needed to do was a provide a police report. I wasn't making a lot of money at the time, so it really helped. Good luck!

-Pete

I second this. Had a bike stolen in college and got a decent replacement with surprisingly little hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike stolen by UC Berkeley (with video footage), any advice on how to proceed? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of OJ.
Quote Reply