http://www.joeskipper.co.uk/...aid-never-the-bride/
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ps ST should interview him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
regardless of anything else, he's got the best name in pro triathlon. travis mccabe has the best name in pro cycling. (wasn't that one of the sons in the big valley?) joe skipper. f'yea!

joe, why don't you come on for an "ask me anything" discussion?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a pic I took made a pro's race report (the run pic).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ps ST should interview him"

i'd be surprised if herbert is not both trying to do that right now AND prepare a photo gallery of his boardman.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how many mechanics did it take to fix his rear brake?

Learn how to work on your bike. It's not hard even with integrated brakes.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are a pain , I know myself but agree for a pro

That said you read all of that , an excellent performance for a young talent and you focus on his mechanical skills ?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shocked that no one is really talking about his bike split and it being one of the fastest in IM history, which he backed up with an ok run for such a young athlete

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he over biked a little bit , he is normally a sub 2-50 guy but awesome performance and yes we should be talkinh about how he beat a strong field including IM next big thing Lionel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So how many mechanics did it take to fix his rear brake?
Learn how to work on your bike. It's not hard even with integrated brakes.

Before spending time working on your bike, an aspiring tri person should learn how to swim well. It's not that hard even for adults. (See adult onset brag thread.)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: May 22, 15 21:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe is a tremendously talented athlete. I had the pleasure of working with him for about 4 weeks leading into IMTX. He swam in lane 1 everyday with the team. He's hard working, humble and just an all around good guy.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that swim comment directed at me? I can assure you I know how to swim (D1 swimmer here).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'm shocked that no one is really talking about his bike split and it being one of the fastest in IM history, which he backed up with an ok run for such a young athlete

Well, I talked about Joe's bike split over in the Devon Palmer/Lionel Sanders thread.

What amazes me about Joe is how fast he goes in that heat for a few reasons. Joe "seems" to have the body composition of a slightly fast age grouper. He's not as super duper lean as some of the other pros. He reminds me of Hellriegel when I first met him in 1995 (that was 6 weeks before Hell on wheels put 13 minutes into Mark Allen at Kona T2). In the next 2 years, Hellriegel got leaner and then took his Kona run split down to 2:46 while keeping up his biking. From what I gather Joe has already run sub 2:50 on tough but cooler courses like IM UK in Bolton (he said he is going to be back there this year....looks like an awesome course, by the way). To me, it is scary how fast Joe could get building on that engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Is that swim comment directed at me? I can assure you I know how to swim (D1 swimmer here).

Not directed at you at all but rather at those who focus on the bike to the exclusion of almost everything else. That said, i also have to say that some people, like myself for example, just are not mechanically inclined and just do not enjoy trying to work on our bikes. I'd much rather just take it to my LBS and let them do it. The odd thing is that i'm actually an engineer but i went into that b/c i've always been good at math and really engr is mainly about solving math problems, with the visual aspects fairly limited. I just can't "see" the 3-D relationships involved in mech work well enough to be good at it. Sorry:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:

Not directed at you at all but rather at those who focus on the bike to the exclusion of almost everything else. That said, i also have to say that some people, like myself for example, just are not mechanically inclined and just do not enjoy trying to work on our bikes. I'd much rather just take it to my LBS and let them do it. The odd thing is that i'm actually an engineer but i went into that b/c i've always been good at math and really engr is mainly about solving math problems, with the visual aspects fairly limited. I just can't "see" the 3-D relationships involved in mech work well enough to be good at it. Sorry:)

I guess you did not enjoy the part in calculus doing triple integrals with spherical coordinates :-(.

Now let's get back to Joe Skipper. Anyone know Joe's final wattage numbers from the "best IM bike of all time" at Woodlands. He said in his report that the target was 300W or so. Also in terms of tactics I think him and Lionel could have gotten more out of each other if they had taken 1-2 min leads at the front, just dropping off and letting the other man pass through would allow for a 20 second drop in heart rate every 2 min while keeping the same speed or faster! 10 min each at the front seems like no benefit for the guy at the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last part of the report is the best - I don't imagine how young pros can plug away at the sport for years, while basically living in poverty. Best of luck to him in Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev analyse away, Joe has posted his bike split on both xhale and strava..

https://trainxhale.com/session/81083/

https://www.strava.com/activities/306796167
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you read his blog and social media the guy needs some help with marketing, at least getting his name out there. Some good results but most of us have never heard of him. On Facebook he was asking about Garmin watches and went with a the less expensive model to save money. After second place at the North American championship you would think someone would be able to help him out with a $250 watch
Quote Reply
Re: Joe skipper - 2nd IM Texas blog - race report [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:
If you read his blog and social media the guy needs some help with marketing, at least getting his name out there. Some good results but most of us have never heard of him. On Facebook he was asking about Garmin watches and went with a the less expensive model to save money. After second place at the North American championship you would think someone would be able to help him out with a $250 watch

OK, let's start with an "analysis of the best IM bike of all time" thread....I'll get it rolling !
Quote Reply