Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [DCTriLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They tend to run out of sponges at the end of the day. At least for me as a BOP athlete who also starts in the later waves, I'm lucky to get a sponge or two. One thing that I've done that seems to help is to hold ice in my hand and let it melt as I "run".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to bring a very light cloth glove and put ice in it. I read about one of the pros doing this in hot conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's where I got my idea from. I believe it was Thorbjørn Sindballe that did it at Kona once. What kind of glove are you using? I'd consider doing that if the glove was breathable.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
. One thing that I've done that seems to help is to hold ice in my hand and let it melt as I "run".

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a set of thin white gloves with my wetsuit. They are supposed to be used to get your wetsuit sleeves over your hands without sticking. I'm taking one of them with me on the run. Will see if I actually use it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
76 degree water temp the past 2 days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But they're cloth? Or latex?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cloth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCTriLife wrote:
In for my first time at Raleigh, second 70.3. Very excited but getting real nervous for the heat on the run. I am one of the last swim legs starting so I will be enjoying that nice midday heat by the time the run comes around.

Anybody have any tips they do to stay cool during the warm run? I dump water and drink Gatorade every stop by 80s-90s is really scaring me. Was thinking about using cold sponges but anyone else have any advice!

Excellent thread on heat acclimation and all around faster racing here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

This video also shows some good ways to combat the heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I'll be missing my usual duties as Volunteer Captain at the outermost run aid station, but my Tricredibles teammates will be there to fuel you guys up and cheer you on to the finish line.

This totally ruins my plans of shaking things up a bit and serving greasy pork fatback cubes, cigarettes, and pickled eggs instead of Gu and Gatorade. Count your blessings! :)

You guys are all super inspiring and I hope you have a great race!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is without a car/truck and needs a lift to go drop off their bike Saturday morning, let me know. Happy to help out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an option for carrying ice and keeping palms cool.

This arm coolers by Desoto have a pocket in the palm to hold ice without it being directly against your skin.

https://www.desotosport.com/product/ACP
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [tskough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would run with a small handheld like the Nathan Sprint. I use it to supplement every half mile between aid stations

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for the third year. I do not think it will be wetsuit legal this year. The first year was really questionable. I would have nearly died in a wetsuit the first year. The second year maybe it was legit. Cooler than normal over the weekend but real warm this week in Raleigh. Had a couple of thunderstorms last night but overall very little rain. But I will still bring the suit just in case.

The new bike course really sucks from Cass Holt to Sunset Lake Road. Especially Honeycutt which is wall to wall patched pot holes. so be careful on those sections. Wind is forecasted to be light from the SW so that should help some over last year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:

The new bike course really sucks.

FTFY

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCTriLife wrote:
Anybody have any tips they do to stay cool during the warm run? I dump water and drink Gatorade every stop by 80s-90s is really scaring me

I like to dump ice in my top, keeps my chest cooler but more importantly allows me to keep pulling ice out to hold in my palms (and eat). Works better if you have a two piece or sports bra
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only problem is I find it screws with my Garmin heart monitor when I put ice in the front of my kit. Anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by: cobragolf79: May 28, 15 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to run with a hat this year instead of a visor and dump ice inside the hat

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
2 weeks away! Who else is going. Getting race ready at an Olympic here in New Jersey tomorrow.

In for my first raleigh 70.3. Looking forward to it. If you see me around say hi!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up but have been battling a series of never-had-before body drama for the past week. First was some deep breathing pain for 2 days and now day 3 of what must be a migraine.

Given the forecast for the day I'm not sure if doing the event is a good idea, but I might give it the old college try and see what happens. At least get a good swim and bike workout in before pulling the plug and avoid melting on Hillsborough Street.

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
.... melting on Hillsborough Street.

Its going to be carnage out there, but I'll be right in the middle of it with everyone!!!

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My trip just turned into a solo mission....so if anyone is getting together Sunday afternoon/evening, I am down.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Raleigh Roll Call [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rss31778 wrote:
I'm signed up but have been battling a series of never-had-before body drama for the past week. First was some deep breathing pain for 2 days and now day 3 of what must be a migraine.

Given the forecast for the day I'm not sure if doing the event is a good idea, but I might give it the old college try and see what happens. At least get a good swim and bike workout in before pulling the plug and avoid melting on Hillsborough Street.

The deep breathing pain could just be acid reflux. I guy can hope.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply

Prev Next