Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hives during all rides in the last month
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
For the last couple of years I have several months (generally starts about april and goes through maybe july or so) where I continuously break out in itchy hives all over my legs, arms, sometimes neck when I ride, especially during longer and hotter rides. What is strange is that I don't have typical allergies (as in my nose, eyes, throat, etc. don't experience a reaction) - its mainly all a skin reaction. My guess is that it is likely an allergic reaction to the pollen, but for some reason only my skin is affected and only when I am exercising (mostly riding, haven't gotten it on any runs really). Sometimes the itchiness and hives are really bad and distracting during rides. Has anybody else experienced something similar? I've never been to an allergist or dermatologist, but could go if necessary.
Thanks for your comments!
Quote Reply
Re: hives during all rides in the last month [evk78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
evk78 wrote:
Hi all,
For the last couple of years I have several months (generally starts about april and goes through maybe july or so) where I continuously break out in itchy hives all over my legs, arms, sometimes neck when I ride, especially during longer and hotter rides. What is strange is that I don't have typical allergies (as in my nose, eyes, throat, etc. don't experience a reaction) - its mainly all a skin reaction. My guess is that it is likely an allergic reaction to the pollen, but for some reason only my skin is affected and only when I am exercising (mostly riding, haven't gotten it on any runs really). Sometimes the itchiness and hives are really bad and distracting during rides. Has anybody else experienced something similar?
I haven't but suggest you try over-the- counter allergy medicines for pollen, etc, assuming they are allowed in your sport.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exact same thing is happening to me. Have you found a reason or solution? It happens on the trainer as well as on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
evk78 wrote:
Hi all,
For the last couple of years I have several months (generally starts about april and goes through maybe july or so) where I continuously break out in itchy hives all over my legs, arms, sometimes neck when I ride, especially during longer and hotter rides. What is strange is that I don't have typical allergies (as in my nose, eyes, throat, etc. don't experience a reaction) - its mainly all a skin reaction. My guess is that it is likely an allergic reaction to the pollen, but for some reason only my skin is affected and only when I am exercising (mostly riding, haven't gotten it on any runs really). Sometimes the itchiness and hives are really bad and distracting during rides. Has anybody else experienced something similar? I've never been to an allergist or dermatologist, but could go if necessary.

Google 'heat hives' or 'exercise induced hives' and see if it sounds like your symptoms. It's an 'allergic' reaction but not really related to pollen or anything else environmental, but a reaction to either sweat or your body temperature rising. I used to get it from hot showers as a little kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the exact same thing, over the same time frame. You don't ride in Georgia do you? In any event, suspect it is allergens plus heat. I usually take Allegra OTC (fexofenadine) which controls pretty well. Still get a few hives, but at least 90% fewer than previously.
Used to use Zyrtec but didn't work well.

evk78 wrote:
Hi all,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could also be from what you're consuming. I had weird occasional hives and doc did a blood/ allergy panel. Turns out peanuts, wheat and sesame seeds in the food division and a few pollen/ trees, which I don't get too much of in Los Angeles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have battled this off and on for 15 years. It is (for me) tied to Caffeine in take and also fatigue. I have found zertek the answer for me. I have been on more powerful drugs but found zertek the best for what is happening to my body. Now I am back to normal. Good luck with your on set.

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply