Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Enve 8.9s are pretty awesome wheels. I feel like they handled crosswind better then the 808's I rode and are MUCH stronger. I rode mine year round with no issues.

how did you measure the strength difference?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Enve 8.9s are pretty awesome wheels. I feel like they handled crosswind better then the 808's I rode and are MUCH stronger. I rode mine year round with no issues.

how did you measure the strength difference?

Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [Sgilde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same position right now trying to decide what wheels to get. I think I am going to do a set of 60mm wheels and buy a disc cover for the back wheel for races where applicable.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
rruff wrote:
world time trial champ has been on clinchers something like 3 years in a row

Wiggins was on clinchers last year?

oh shit, good point

clinchers have been

2nd
1st
1st and 2nd
1st

the last 4 years I think

This has absolutely nothing to due with the apparent superiority of clinchers and everything to do with Martin being an absolute beast. He's back on tubs this season. He won't be going any slower as a result.

@OP- If you're married to the idea of clinchers then check out the Reynolds Aero line. I have the 72's which felt faster and are more stable than my ENVE 6.7's. Something like a 72/90 or 58/90 will see you through all conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to due with the apparent superiority of clinchers and everything to do with Martin being an absolute beast. He's back on tubs this season. He won't be going any slower as a result.

Taylor Phinney was also in the mix. Of course Martin would have won those TTs either way (maybe not one of them, it was close) it wasn't the clinchers that caused him to win. But the reason HED advised him to use the clinchers was because it offered the fastest overall tire/wheel combination for him. Same deal when specialized and zipp were the tire/wheel sponsor.

These are choices being made on based on rational data collection and math. Doing that does make you faster. He may be on tubulars this year because now there is a tubular tire that has a better overall CRR/aero solution for his wheels (maybe the new zipp tubie?) in which case he will not go any slower.

or he may be switching for irrational reasons, in which case he may indeed go a little slower.

being a badass does not grant you a free pass from physics.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a long time ago. Considering the propensity for marginal gains, you'd think that at the very least most of the top TTers would have gone clincher by now if the advantage was easily quantifiable. Now that T's gone back to tubbies, there's no clincher love. Both have their place, but I find the constant back and forth a bit silly considering most people who worry about it have terrible positions and slow skinsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Wheels HELP! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Positions, skin suits, and tires are all orthogonal. There is nothing wrong with choosing the faster wheel/tire combo, whether or not your skin suit is terrible.

These things can be measured, you can do the math, and you can pick the best bet. Sometimes, depending on the wheels and tires available to you at any moment in time, clincher will be faster.

That is just the physics of it. Physics doesn't care what pros do and not all pros care about physics.

Grill wrote:
That was a long time ago. Considering the propensity for marginal gains, you'd think that at the very least most of the top TTers would have gone clincher by now if the advantage was easily quantifiable. Now that T's gone back to tubbies, there's no clincher love. Both have their place, but I find the constant back and forth a bit silly considering most people who worry about it have terrible positions and slow skinsuits.

Quote Reply

Prev Next