Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I qualified for Nationals in traditional triathlon and even though you may not think I deserved to go, I went and competed twice in Milwaukee and enjoyed hell out of the experience. I'm not really sure why you care if they make AB part of the Worlds - what would it take away from?

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
mag900 wrote:
why are there no choices on the survey to say that you don't think aquabike is a good idea. it seems like most people who do aquabike are either hurt or not fast in traditional triathlon. why should a sport that has basically nobody who is healthy and fast have a world championship?

Why is there then Aquathlon WC's? Or duathlon WC's? What is a "traditional Triathlon"?

you are aware of the prefix of TRIathlon? note that the DUathlon WCs are not slapped onto the triathlon WCs so why is a 2-sport race called aquabike tacked onto it? duathlon is a completely separate sport (and successful one) that isn't just piggybacking onto triathlons.

"traditional triathlon" would be none other than swimming, biking and running but there are plenty of other variations, including the original triathlon that had canoeing instead of swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [freestyle7819] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
freestyle7819 wrote:
Hey Mag, get lost in your EGO. Obviously you think highly of yourself. I am a World ranked Triathlete and compete in Aquabikes. Go run yourself into oblivion.

mr ego, please point us to where you are on this list:

http://www.triathlon.org/...itu_points_list/male
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
mag900 wrote:
why are there no choices on the survey to say that you don't think aquabike is a good idea. it seems like most people who do aquabike are either hurt or not fast in traditional triathlon. why should a sport that has basically nobody who is healthy and fast have a world championship?

Why is there then Aquathlon WC's? Or duathlon WC's? What is a "traditional Triathlon"?

you are aware of the prefix of TRIathlon? note that the DUathlon WCs are not slapped onto the triathlon WCs so why is a 2-sport race called aquabike tacked onto it? duathlon is a completely separate sport (and successful one) that isn't just piggybacking onto triathlons.

"traditional triathlon" would be none other than swimming, biking and running but there are plenty of other variations, including the original triathlon that had canoeing instead of swimming.

Just keep digging that hole. Is para triathlon a different sport? They often 'tack' that into the same events. Your argument has no legs to stand on.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
mag900 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
mag900 wrote:

Just keep digging that hole. Is para triathlon a different sport? They often 'tack' that into the same events. Your argument has no legs to stand on.

of course it's a different sport. remind me again which TWO sports para triathlon involves. why not just tack on some track and swimming races onto the WC in chicago this year. that way people who no longer can run (or who never could) can do the swimming races and feel good about themselves and people who can't swim (or bike) can do the track races and feel good about themselves. who cares that it's the triathlon world championships and that next to nobody will be competing in these stand alone events as it's all about making people feel like they accomplished something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
mag900 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
mag900 wrote:

of course it's a different sport. remind me again which TWO sports para triathlon involves. why not just tack on some track and swimming races onto the WC in chicago this year. that way people who no longer can run (or who never could) can do the swimming races and feel good about themselves and people who can't swim (or bike) can do the track races and feel good about themselves. who cares that it's the triathlon world championships and that next to nobody will be competing in these stand alone events as it's all about making people feel like they accomplished something.

Why don't you drop the BS about people feeling good about themselves as the only motivation. Many people in single sport would make the same claim about triathletes not being good enough at one so they do three at a mediocre level. That argument has no merit at all.

ITU plan on hosting a multi sport festival in the future. Duathlon, long course, off-road and maybe something else. What is the problem with adding aquabike or aquathon to an event that also has 'traditional triathlon'?
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Apr 27, 15 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
mag900 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
mag900 wrote:

Why don't you drop the BS about people feeling good about themselves as the only motivation. Many 17-minute 5K guys on letsrun.com would make the same claim about triathletes not being good enough at one so they do three at a mediocre level. That argument has no merit at all.

ITU plan on hosting a multi sport festival in the future. Duathlon, long course, off-road and maybe something else. What is the problem with adding aquabike or aquathon to an event that also has 'traditional triathlon'?

I fixed your post to be more accurate. I don't know a single professional runner or swimmer who has nothing but the utmost respect for professional triathletes. So, yes, the false argument that I never made has no merit. Congratulations on the strawman argument.

Why don't you just admit (rather than attempt to call BS) on what is driving AB? It's all about people trying to feel good about themselves and create a false sense of accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're absolutely right. Every sport that was created after the first sport, is by definition an attempt to make people feel a sense of accomplishment. If they were real athletes they would compete in only one sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even going to answer a BULLY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(TOUGHMAN NY) will be hosting this years Aquabike Championships for USAT on Sept 13th

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood that the survey might be biased. But in trying to prove your point about the survey, you basically are calling all those that compete in Duathlons and Aquabikes injured or weak. How that makes any sense is beyond me. Triathlon is the not the only real sport out there. And I'm sure you only compete in triathlons for what? To feel good about yourself?? Or perhaps what makes you feel good about yourself is belittling others who wish to only do two sports unlike your glorious three. Stop being a jerk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going? I'm a MOP swimmer, strong cyclist and enjoy doing them to check conditioning and try new tactics. Plus a day later I'm back doing regular workouts - no recovery needed.

I'm planning to use Toughman NC as prep for OKC, then I'll be back to Dallas for the long Du.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
Are you going? I'm a MOP swimmer, strong cyclist and enjoy doing them to check conditioning and try new tactics. Plus a day later I'm back doing regular workouts - no recovery needed.

I'm planning to use Toughman NC as prep for OKC, then I'll be back to Dallas for the long Du.

Nope, no way I can afford to travel to all these events. Waiting for USAT to get some stuff back on the west coast. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pushing aquathlon will allow more low budget racers to compete thus potential deeper fields ... there are many many great track/xc kids out there in low income areas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
soobrex1 wrote:
You don't care about aquabike but plenty of others do. I am exhibit A for why there are aquabikes. I can run. I don't like to. I can't be competitive when running is involved and it's not worth further injury with having to train and race to run. That 1:31 aquabike which means nothing to you was a 1:30/100yd swim and 22.6mph bike. That's not slacking. The bike would have been 11th overall on the day.

It's a survey. It's voluntary. If you're going to be negative, why bother filling out the survey? Their goal is to figure out if there is enough interest, not if there is enough disinterest.

Your assumption that I am looking for "easy self-validation" is also incorrect. Why am I not allowed to have aspirations? Should I just sit on the couch for the rest of my life because I'm injured in one discipline? Your argument stems from ignorance.

If you say you don't care, then actually don't care and step out of the discussion.

yawn. who spouts off race times and bike speeds with no context? is 22.6mph supposed to impress everyone on here?

yes, the point of the survey, as you correctly pointed out, is to see if there is enough interest. it might fly right right over your head but you cannot properly do that if you only ask for input from people who are interested. there just might be a tad of self selection bias going on there. just a tad.

yes, you are exhibit A for why there are aquabikes as you seem to think that your only options in life are (1) to sit on the couch or (2) to push for some joke of a sport that caters to people who can't compete in the main sport. if you dig a little deeper, you just might find that there are some other options in life for you. good luck in "racing" aquabike races against the few other noncompetitive triathletes who deign to "compete" in this highly competitive sport. i hope getting a little ribbon for placing in these races makes you feel better.

Mag900 your posts have not angered me but disappointed me. Triathlon is not "the main sport", multi-sport covers a lot of things from duathlons (do you rinse those or do you use them in pre-season?).

I'm injured and plan to do aquabikes as I don't want to rush into tri's as running will set my return to competitive racing back and I'm in this for the long term as I love the sport. Also aquabikes are not just for injured people - they can be for elder people who can not run but wish to compete still as why should they stop doing what they love?

Also aquabikes are great for a test before a race as running has the most impact you can race hard on swim/bike but not need a week to recover.

I hope to see you at an aquabike one day.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [thebuzzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did everyone get the AB survey or only those who have competed in them? A lot of the people that I compete against here in NJ are neither injured or weak.

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Aquabike Survey [thebuzzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebuzzle wrote:
mag900 wrote:
soobrex1 wrote:
You don't care about aquabike but plenty of others do. I am exhibit A for why there are aquabikes. I can run. I don't like to. I can't be competitive when running is involved and it's not worth further injury with having to train and race to run. That 1:31 aquabike which means nothing to you was a 1:30/100yd swim and 22.6mph bike. That's not slacking. The bike would have been 11th overall on the day.

It's a survey. It's voluntary. If you're going to be negative, why bother filling out the survey? Their goal is to figure out if there is enough interest, not if there is enough disinterest.

Your assumption that I am looking for "easy self-validation" is also incorrect. Why am I not allowed to have aspirations? Should I just sit on the couch for the rest of my life because I'm injured in one discipline? Your argument stems from ignorance.

If you say you don't care, then actually don't care and step out of the discussion.

yawn. who spouts off race times and bike speeds with no context? is 22.6mph supposed to impress everyone on here?

yes, the point of the survey, as you correctly pointed out, is to see if there is enough interest. it might fly right right over your head but you cannot properly do that if you only ask for input from people who are interested. there just might be a tad of self selection bias going on there. just a tad.

yes, you are exhibit A for why there are aquabikes as you seem to think that your only options in life are (1) to sit on the couch or (2) to push for some joke of a sport that caters to people who can't compete in the main sport. if you dig a little deeper, you just might find that there are some other options in life for you. good luck in "racing" aquabike races against the few other noncompetitive triathletes who deign to "compete" in this highly competitive sport. i hope getting a little ribbon for placing in these races makes you feel better.

Mag900 your posts have not angered me but disappointed me. Triathlon is not "the main sport", multi-sport covers a lot of things from duathlons (do you rinse those or do you use them in pre-season?).

I'm injured and plan to do aquabikes as I don't want to rush into tri's as running will set my return to competitive racing back and I'm in this for the long term as I love the sport. Also aquabikes are not just for injured people - they can be for elder people who can not run but wish to compete still as why should they stop doing what they love?

Also aquabikes are great for a test before a race as running has the most impact you can race hard on swim/bike but not need a week to recover.

I hope to see you at an aquabike one day.

I was reading your post and nodded along and then remembered reading something about pro/elite triathletes signing up for full distance races but intentionally pulling out in the first 1-3 miles of the run or not running at all. They essentially turned the race into an aquabike and as soon as they tell someone it was because they're training for a different race, it's no big deal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next