Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing considerations & Spare tyre
Quote | Reply
Twitchers of Slow,

I have acquired a very nice Cervelo P3C; following a few months of winter trainer sessions I have been tweaking the setup and configuration gradually. I am now very comfy on the bike and finding longer sessions easier and seeing FTP gradually increase.

I'm training for IM Wales in September, the bike course is hilly (2000hm), some steeper climbs (upto 16%) and prone to being windy. If interested you can see the official bike course here – http://www.bikemap.net/...11928-ironman-wales/. I would like your advice on gearing setup!

Currently I have a 55-42 chain ring on the front and 11–23 cassette on rear, my crank length is 172.5 and for what is worth my average cadence is around 90. Im considering a 50-34 on the front and 11-28 on the rear. What are your thoughts on this?
Would you recommend any particular hardware? My FSA crank is of the five spoke variety and I have a Quarq power meter installed.

Also I would like carry a spare tyre with inner tube already installed (I'm running clinchers) underneath my X-Lab rear hydration. I want a tyre that compacts down nice and small and will be light. I will be running on Continental GP4000s 23x700 for their balance between speed and puncture resistance but for the spare I do not consider the puncture resistance as higher priority . Is this the best option for carrying a spare? Presumably carrying the inner tube pre installed in the tyre will be the fastest way to recover from a flat?

I'm a long time lurker around here and would like to take this opportunity to thank the community for all of the valuable information I've learnt through you guys.
Quote Reply