Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off?
Quote | Reply
Looking for an aero helmet for middle/long distance tri that is quick enough to get on/off that the benefit STILL outweighs wearing a road aero helmet. I realise this is somewhat individual. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Rudy Wingspan is very easy on/off (flexible ear covers). I've heard some people complain about the Giro Selector (esp. w/visor).

That being said, the time savings from getting the right aero helmet (for you) greatly exceeds any extra time to put it on.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about the LG P-09. The ear flaps are flexible and the retention system is pretty simple too.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an LG Vorttice, doesn't give me too much trouble on/off. Certainly easier than the old Giro I had.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Giro Adv II, takes maybe 10secs longer than my road helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the Garneau P-09 quick and easy to put on, even with the visor in place. The ear flaps pull out sideways to make it easier to stuff your melon in there in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:

10 seconds period to get on any helmet seems really long. I've got a Girl Adv 2 as well and the difference in getting it on is at most 2-3 secs with adjusting flaps/ears.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
nickag wrote:

10 seconds period to get on any helmet seems really long. I've got a Girl Adv 2 as well and the difference in getting it on is at most 2-3 secs with adjusting flaps/ears.

I've got an A2 and TBH I'd say the difference was more than 10seconds for me which is why I was thinking an Air Attack, Bell Star Pro or even Evade would be practically as fast in say a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's taking over 10 seconds to put on any helmet, aero or regular, it probably doesn't fit right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always go for the smallest aero helmet i can fit into. The A2 is tight on me in s/m i think but its just a case of getting my ears flat and then the straps either side of each ear. Until now i've been a TTer so it hasnt been so much of an issue. also with my a2 i fitted a visor so that *may've* made it slightly slower to get on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
nickag wrote:

Ok, so maybe I need to go back and time it and it might be less than 10s. In any case, when an IM takes me around 10hrs, that 10s is irrelevant. The point in my first post is that the 10s extra it takes to put onan aero helmet really makes no difference unless you are racing the pro ITU circuit.

So to the OP, unless you're a pro racing ITU, an aero helmet will be faster even with the extra 5-15sec it takes to put on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Bell Javelin which, like other helmets a few have mentioned, have the flexible ear covers. The Javelin also has the adjustable head strap in the back. I keep it slightly loose and then when I'm moving on the bike, I just turn the wheel and it tightens up. Then when approaching T2, you can loosen it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero helmets tend to be quick to get on/off? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new S Works Evade has a magnetic clip thats pretty quick.
Quote Reply