Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: knee pain -- front lower outer
Quote | Reply
I have been riding my bike indoors on the trainer with no issues. Recently built up a new bike and left knee, outer, front is killing me ----- just when I bike. Not running.

Shoes are the same.
Pedals are the same.
I've lowered saddle height over and over again and that seems to have very slightly helped.

I have been ramping up my running, so the IT band is on the radar. But no pain during the run.

Any tips on what this could be?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Help: knee pain -- front lower outer [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possible Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL).

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle too low is exactly how I got that pain in the first place. With that said, the more you lower your saddle, the more you are increasing the angle from your hip to your ankle. If the Q factor on your crankset/pedal combo was already too wide, now you're making it worse.

You've said shoes and pedals are the same but what crankset did you have before and what do you have now? How long are the crank arms? Are the crank arms the same length on this bike as your last?

My #1 piece of advice is to see a fitter. In the absence of you actually doing that, here are things you can do:
- Look for pedals with shorter spindles
- Look for a crankset with a narrower Q factor
- Get shorter crank arms
- Raise your saddle back up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much information to go on here: Patella tendonitis? Pes anserine bursitis? Patello-femoral pain syndrome? Osgood schlatter disease?

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Help: knee pain -- front lower outer [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost non-existent chance this is Osgood-Schlatter.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: knee pain -- front lower outer [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soobrex1 - well, I have to admit you got me there. But in that the forum is all cloak and dagger anonymous stuff, in the interest of being complete I put it in. But most likely you are correct.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply