Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$6000 Dimonds
Quote | Reply
If I were a triathlete who had the pesos to spend on whatever bike I wanted, I would consider the following: Cervelo P5, Trek Speed Concept BMC piece of art and DIMOND.

Over the past few years, I have debated with others about the marginal difference between aero bikes. If I go back to my KOUTA days where I acted as the sales/marketing guy, I still contend that there was not a huge difference between the P3 and the Kalibur. But.....I think I may have been convinced that some of the new bikes actually make a difference.

A few years back, TJ and I started to do roll tests/power comparisons, focusing on his super position and not so much the bike, as he was riding a Parlee at the time. Even today, I say why buy a $10k bike if you have not ironed out your position. While there are many factors when doing our roll tests (wheels, body weight and size, bike etc) it was determined that he was able to roll downhill much faster than myself, even though I outweigh him by 15 lbs. A year later, we continued to do our roll/power tests. As before, he free wheeled down hill much faster and had to produce significantly less power when peddling on flat ground side by side.

He now had my attention on the things I have always ignored. Other than never training on the tt bike with a poor position, the next biggest hindrance was my KUOTA KUEEN K, which I poetically named while I worked with Kuota. He figured I was losing approx 1 min over 40k. That seemed a bit high, but he has rarely been wrong. Time to listen!

Heading into this year's Valley of the Sun Stage race, I acquired one of his bikes to race the flat 14.8mi tt. Although the bike is not UCI legal, I checked to see if this would be ok'd for this event. It was. Time to test! This would be perfect proving grounds, as the ride is flat with similar conditions each year. I set the bike up with the exact position as the slow Kuota.

The results were boggling: Over the years I rode 29:55 as my fastest and 30:20 as my slowest, with 6 years of sampling. This year was the only year with inconsistencies in the conditions. The cross winds were much harder than any of the other years dating back to 2009. SO hard, that I was unable to ride in the aero bars over the last 5k. I rode 29:20 for the distance, 35 seconds faster than my best on the Kouta. TJ assumed I would be 40ish seconds faster on a DIMOND.

Of course there are other variables.....My power may have been a bit higher...different helmet etc.....

Going into Redlands and then Gila this next week, I can not ride the DIMOND. TJ said he the P5 would be a great alternative and that is what I am not resorting to, with great thanks to FASTER.

What I have come to realize: If I were a age group triathlete with the coin to spend on a super bike, I would start with DIMOND and P5. If I were an aspiring pro triathlete without a bike sponsor, I would somehow gather the funds to spend on the speed. Simultaneously, I would consult with TJ on how to aquire a position similar to his (his position is also UCI illegal) I believe it is a work of progress, where it is leaned and trained. It seems like he does a ton of glut/core work in order to hold this position that is just as important as having the fastest frame. If I were TJ, I would sell a package deal with a bike.....buy a bike, come to Des Moines and get fitted.....

At 46 years of age, efficiency is really the only way to get faster with each year. Optimize your position. Even if you are young, don't be a PT of the pst and try to muscle your way top speed!

PT

PS if 40 sec over this distance maths out over 112mi, that is 6min of free time for Stadler's big rides.
Last edited by: paulthomas: Apr 24, 15 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I still contend that there was not a huge difference between the P3 and the Kalibur

Paul I like you, I really do. That's the most absurd thing I've read today and I've read several threads on ST today.

I agree with you that positioning is important, but I'll disagree with you on TJ's positioning. His position fails on many (most) people when they test it. (or at least just about every time I've tested it and others I chat with and/or have seen data on)

I'd even go a step further and from the testing I've done, I'll say the vast majority of people fitting bikes today are clueless when it comes to positioning for optimal aerodynamics.

Finding 4-6 minutes over 112 miles is pretty easy for > 50% the people I've tested. Over 8 min? Now your stating to make me work hard.

Go crush Redlands and Gila!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I still contend that there was not a huge difference between the P3 and the Kalibur

Paul I like you, I really do. That's the most absurd thing I've read today and I've read several threads on ST today.

I agree with you that positioning is important, but I'll disagree with you on TJ's positioning. His position fails on many (most) people when they test it. (or at least just about every time I've tested it and others I chat with and/or have seen data on)

I'd even go a step further and from the testing I've done, I'll say the vast majority of people fitting bikes today are clueless when it comes to positioning for optimal aerodynamics.

Finding 4-6 minutes over 112 miles is pretty easy for > 50% the people I've tested. Over 8 min? Now your stating to make me work hard.

Go crush Redlands and Gila!

At least for Norman Stadler, He rode a aero drink in front of the poorly design Kuota head tube and it helped enormously to reduce drag number on a less than optimal aero bike.

I still think many are missing the point about the Dimond bike. For me, it s the pedal stroke and comfort i get out of this bike that provide me a advantage so far.....we will see if that translate in results this summer!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was all done thanks to his larger rear derailleur pulleys.
Last edited by: Francois: Apr 24, 15 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought TJ's position was necessary due to injury limitations. In his particular case the comfort benefits outweigh the aero penalties resulting in a faster performance for him personally. Being aero is always emphasized, but if you can't hold it or can't run afterwards its a waste. Comfort comes into play at some point and I was under the impression his back issues required him to be more upright to get that balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consistently the lowest CdA's we record are on two bikes: Trek Speed Concept and the Specialized Shiv TT.

Now this is all very position and setup dependent and that would be my point. The problem with the P5, IA and almost any other "superbike" is that they're all built with way too much stack, and they lack the ability to angle both the pads and extensions together. These are two big, big mistakes for bikes that are looking to put athletes in the fastest position. Don't even get me started with how little reach most of the new bikes have.

If the IA had the ability to angle the pads and extensions, I would put it and the Speed Concept in a class by themselves for triathlon. Everyone else would be a distant third and beyond. The same fix could be made for the P5, but that's such a difficult bike to own and travel with, I have a hard time recommending it. Plus, since the X-Low setup has been taken away, it's just way too tall. Of course, both bikes have the ability to exchange the proprietary stem/bar for something more standard, so I'm talking about the bikes right out of the box. Also, this all comes from the perspective of fit. If you're bringing us a P5 to fit, great, just make sure it's completely de-cabled because I can't otherwise adjust much of anything. The IA is a bit easier in that regard because it doesn't have the hydraulic brake lines running through the stem spacers.

Now, this all excludes the Dimond, which I like. We just haven't tested enough people on it yet, but I'm assuming it's quite good. Plus, I personally like the team at Dimond, and professionally have confidence they're making a great bike, though I still believe it should have less stack and more reach. That goes for pretty much everything out there, though, so insert whatever manufacturer you want for that. Plus, with the Dimond, you choose the aero bar so you can get the pad and extension angle you need for optimal aero setup.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
The problem with the P5, IA and almost any other "superbike" is that they're all built with way too much stack, and they lack the ability to angle both the pads and extensions together.

Which aerobars on the market have you found are designed well to allow you to adjust/optimize the angle of the pads and extensions together? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Consistently the lowest CdA's we record are on two bikes: Trek Speed Concept and the Specialized Shiv TT.

Now this is all very position and setup dependent and that would be my point. The problem with the P5, IA and almost any other "superbike" is that they're all built with way too much stack, and they lack the ability to angle both the pads and extensions together. These are two big, big mistakes for bikes that are looking to put athletes in the fastest position. Don't even get me started with how little reach most of the new bikes have.

If the IA had the ability to angle the pads and extensions, I would put it and the Speed Concept in a class by themselves for triathlon. Everyone else would be a distant third and beyond. The same fix could be made for the P5, but that's such a difficult bike to own and travel with, I have a hard time recommending it. Plus, since the X-Low setup has been taken away, it's just way too tall. Of course, both bikes have the ability to exchange the proprietary stem/bar for something more standard, so I'm talking about the bikes right out of the box. Also, this all comes from the perspective of fit. If you're bringing us a P5 to fit, great, just make sure it's completely de-cabled because I can't otherwise adjust much of anything. The IA is a bit easier in that regard because it doesn't have the hydraulic brake lines running through the stem spacers.

Now, this all excludes the Dimond, which I like. We just haven't tested enough people on it yet, but I'm assuming it's quite good. Plus, I personally like the team at Dimond, and professionally have confidence they're making a great bike, though I still believe it should have less stack and more reach. That goes for pretty much everything out there, though, so insert whatever manufacturer you want for that. Plus, with the Dimond, you choose the aero bar so you can get the pad and extension angle you need for optimal aero setup.

I think there are a lot generalizations made in your post that aren't necessarily fair. I would MUCH rather own a P5 than a Speed Concept. By a huge margin. For example.

Also, the fact that the lowest CdA's you've recorded are aboard those two bikes is a bit of weird result to post. I would guess that most athletes with the Shiv TT are not triathletes, for example.

But I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember the Shiv was just recalled because the angle adjusting bolt can snap and extensions can separate from the basebar and fall off. The fix is replacing the bars with the low stack kit, which cannot be angle adjusted. :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a lot of pesos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has 60000$ diamond and I don't have a bike. I raced on my friend's bike.
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Remember the Shiv was just recalled because the angle adjusting bolt can snap and extensions can separate from the basebar and fall off. The fix is replacing the bars with the low stack kit, which cannot be angle adjusted. :/

That's the Shiv Tri. The Shiv TT is the old nosecone Shiv, minus the nosecone.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

FWIW, I switched from the nosecone Shiv (which I raced on for 3 years) to the Dimond. I set it up with as equivalent a fit as I could get. My own power data so far shows a 5-7W advantage with me, a none-too-flexible 52yo, aboard. Can't wait to try it out in the wind on the Big Island, which I'll do at Honu in 5 weeks. I have enough races there with power data in varying conditions that I can likely find another comparable comparison point.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I know. I was replying to ols, letting him know the fully angle adjustable bars may not be the best design. Maybe not all of them, granted, but at least some of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thought reading this....of all the tri bikes I've had my favourite was the Kalibur. I have no data to compare as rode without power then, I rode wide arms, low front, and just sat damn comfortable. And upon reflection....damn I miss that bike!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Funny thought reading this....of all the tri bikes I've had my favourite was the Kalibur. I have no data to compare as rode without power then, I rode wide arms, low front, and just sat damn comfortable. And upon reflection....damn I miss that bike!

Sound like a girl I rode, I mean knew!
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

FWIW, I switched from the nosecone Shiv (which I raced on for 3 years) to the Dimond. I set it up with as equivalent a fit as I could get. My own power data so far shows a 5-7W advantage with me, a none-too-flexible 52yo, aboard. Can't wait to try it out in the wind on the Big Island, which I'll do at Honu in 5 weeks. I have enough races there with power data in varying conditions that I can likely find another comparable comparison point.

Ian

5-7w is about what I'd expect. That's pretty close to what I figured just talking to Maik and TJ and comparing their numbers on courses with my own and others. That's what I'm expecting to gain vs a Shiv Tri, which is basically equivalent to the nosecone bike.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw on the Dimond website that riding your Dimond on a rear axle trainer voids the warranty. Is that standard legal print for all bikes or just the Dimonds? It would suck your new $9000 bike couldn't be used on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
My wife has 60000$ diamond and I don't have a bike. I raced on my friend's bike.

Assuming you got the # of zeros right--U shoulda bought the $54,000 diAmond for her and the $6,000 Dimond for yourself. Bet she wouldn't have noticed the difference.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dwgrenle wrote:
I just saw on the Dimond website that riding your Dimond on a rear axle trainer voids the warranty. Is that standard legal print for all bikes or just the Dimonds? It would suck your new $9000 bike couldn't be used on a trainer.

I was in this situation when I purchased by dimond. I simply just purchased a set of resistance rollers with a fork stand. I get as good or better a workout as I did on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N. Dorphin wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

Assuming you got the # of zeros right--U shoulda bought the $54,000 diAmond for her and the $6,000 Dimond for yourself. Bet she wouldn't have noticed the difference.

FTW.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. The geometry on the medium would fit my position perfectly. About 3x times my price range for a bike though.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: $6000 Dimonds [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I would MUCH rather own a P5 than a Speed Concept. By a huge margin. For example.

Why is that?
Quote Reply