Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Running For My Life" by adventure runner Ray Zahab was a good read.

Also liked
Iron War
I'm Here To Win
Without Limits
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved Feet in the Clouds by Richard Askwith. It really makes you want to get out into the great outdoors and run up and down mountains!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you liked "Ultramarathon Man" then read what I consider the companion book "Swimming to Antarctica-Tales of a Long Distance Swimmer" by Lynne Cox.

Some of her stories were very suspenseful and I often thought she was going to die in the process of completing her goals.
Very easy to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat and run is a really good book I thoroughly enjoyed. It is a very big stretch to call is a cookbook - there are only a few recipes at the end of chapters.

Thanks everyone for all the good recommendations in this thread !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron war for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
faster michael hutchinson
breaking the chain - willie vote - should actually be almost mandatory reading if you want to see how conned everyone was for so long - or not depending on how prophetic with the benefit of hindsight people choose to be
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
faster michael hutchinson

I second that, just finished reading it. Funny and fascinating. Certainly a few idea's I'll be exploring thanks to that book.

Doug
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pigpen73 [ In reply to ]
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished the Brownlee book, it was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few books I've never gotten rid of.
Boy Racer - Mark Cavendish
Running with the Buffaloes
Sub 4:00 - Alan Webb
PRE
Iron War
I'm Here to Win - Chris McCormack
Duel in the Sun - Salazar and Beardsley

I'll send them all to you for $35. Should keep you busy for a while

And to second what a previous poster said - Gold in the Water was great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to see pro training just look it up on strava

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There in old book called "Running with the Legends". It is a collection of biographies and it is good. No BS in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Once a Runner" by John L. Parker is a phenomenal read. It's about the obsession of running a 4 minute mile originally written in 1978. It was reprinted I believe in 2010 due to demand. If anyone else has read this one please chime in with your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [mark308] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read the Chrissy Wellington book? If not you wanna trade the Cav book?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Animal Farm, George Orwell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rome 1960: The Olympics that Changed the World
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [run100z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really remember it that clearly other than I thought it was about the prep for an olympic cycle - rather the transition from college to pro to olympic cycle. I did just finish Again to Carthage - the follow up, it was definitely not as good, though it was interesting that on a personal level coming back to a more athletic lifestyle after a decade of putting on weight I could relate to some of the themes written about such as discipline, routine and the satisfaction to be gained from it.

I do think as a general observation on these book related posts, is that there is a whole "Canon" (thinking sports as opposed to western or english lit) or sport related literature, a good start is the William Hill prize, Richard Askwiths feet in the clouds is one example, night games another - shocker about australian professional sporting culture in football and a lesser extent rugby. For endurance sports, there's a large number of excellent authors - william fotheringham, charley wegilius's auto domestique, paul kimage, david walsh. Fotheringham's written a number of books, walsh as well as a collection of his collected articles during the armstrong era. the race against the stasi.

at the moment my book of choice as mentioned in an earlier post is Faster - its a pretty good summary of GB cycling over the last 20 years and explains in far more detail the method they used that I've not seen written up before as well as info about individual athletes - its also quite funny
Quote Reply
Re: I need another good book. Suggestions? [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
Animal Farm, George Orwell.

FTW! I just ordered this to read with my resident middle schooler.

run100z wrote:
"Once a Runner" by John L. Parker is a phenomenal read. It's about the obsession of running a 4 minute mile originally written in 1978. It was reprinted I believe in 2010 due to demand. If anyone else has read this one please chime in with your thoughts.

I've read this many times over the years and absolutely love the book.

Based on this thread, 'Gold in the Water' is next for me.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running with the Kenyans. Definitely causes some wunderlust and will make you want to drop out and go run with the Kenyans for a while.
Quote Reply

Prev Next