Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skyline Drive, VA
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is visiting, so we were thinking of driving down from Baltimore to the Skyline Drive, VA, and ride for a day. He will need to rent a bike. Any advice out there on how and where to do that?

thanks,
Frederik
Quote Reply
Re: Skyline Drive, VA [froikjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only been the point where skyline drive ends and the blue ridge parkway begins as they cross I-64. There is parking off of exit 99. If you start there you have the option od riding the parkway which is free. Skyline drive charges to ride on, i think its like 8 dollars. If you do go the parkway at mile marker 13 you can descend down route 664 for 5 miles and hit a local brewery at the intersection if 664 and 151. Double back for a tough climb back to the parkway or climb to the top of wintergreen resort, about 2000 feet in 3 miles. Some great riding in that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are starting up near front royal you can rent in any of the many NOVA/DC shops. Try Spokes or Haymarket, or if you are in B-More just got to Race Pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of options. a one-time visitor's pass allows you a total of four people on the bike. Starting at Front Royal, it's nothing but climbing and descending. I like the place quite a bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly ride Skyline Dr, out of Front Royal. I'd park in town and ride over to Skyline Dr.

You can park along Luray Ave, either on the street (at the top of the hill by the old school) or at the park:

Eastham Park
Luray Ave
Front Royal, VA 22630
Last edited by: rijndael: Apr 20, 15 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for all the help. Any bike shops in Front Royal that are worth renting from?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll have to go to Luray (Hawksbill Bikes), or some place in Winchester, if you want a local rental.
Quote Reply
Re: Skyline Drive, VA [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the other would be Haymarket, which would be on the way, right off of I-66
Quote Reply
Re: Skyline Drive, VA [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I just generally avoid the beltway and 66. I were coming from Baltimore - I'd go 70 and 340.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No clue on bike shops, but I highly recommend starting out of front royal. That's an awesome climb.

Skyline drive is awesome, my favorite place to ride! Enjoy!!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a shop in Warrenton, VA called the Bike Stop... and one in Culpeper by the same name. Essentially there are three entry points in this area... Front Royal where it starts. I just park by the entrance on the side of the road there before the gate. Thornton Gap at the intersection with 211, I usually park in Sperryville somewhere and ride up the mountain to get on the Drive. The third is a bit south and where 33 intersects. No idea where to park there since I've never ridden into that point before.

Going out of Front Royal is a pretty good clip of climbing for the first couple of miles. How much riding are you planning on?
Quote Reply