Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Minnesota ride route advice pls.
Quote | Reply
experience MN riders, could i bother you for some advice please?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7567842

does this route seem OK (safety/traffic -wise)?

i mapped it using strava labs heatmap (http://labs.strava.com/...7/45.21251/blue/bike) so it seems well enough traveled, but i'm not familiar with riding in the area. a bunch of it is on the Sunrise Prairie / Hardwood Creek Trails.

thanks!
-andy
Quote Reply
Re: Minnesota ride route advice pls. [andykronsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The East side takes a bit of the Square Lake Tri course which is fine. The Chisago Half Iron also can use some of those roads depending on the year (it seems like they've had some route variation over the last 5 years)

I didn't zoom in too close to see your route along Hwy 61, perhaps on the bike trail / winter snowmobile trail? If so, much of that trail is used for Day 2 of the MS 150 each Jjne. It's ok, but not the smoothest / best pavement if you care. It should be certainly safe as long as you watch cross paths and roads.

Sorry I can't be super definitive, that area is a little less travelled for me too - I'd also use the heat map to plan :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That route should start off nice. Very popular riding area. You likely will not be alone on the roads if it is a weekend. The bike trail on the way back is safe, albeit a bit stale for scenery.

Enjoy!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I live out there (in the hood off of Honeye, between your mile 8 and 9). That's a pretty clear route. There are a cople of places that I tend to ride around if I can, but they aren't that bad or anything, I'm just spoiled and lazy. :D all of these roads are used to cyclists.

244 doesn't have much of a shoulder around the north side of WBL, but people ride it. Just be aware it can get a lot of cars...many of whom are more interested in getting to/from the boat launch or their tee times. Not the most observant crowd.

Portland is like riding on the surface of the moon, but relatively safe.

Short/7/117 has a shoulder (although small, compared to a lot of the roads out here), and in most places a good sight line. Not too much traffic, but what's out there moves. Part of the old manitou course. Pretty country, but I'm biased :D

I hate the hardwood creek trail, but that's just bc lots of stop signs/crossings and in many places, it's visually unappealing.

Also On the way back, Goodview has no shoulders, and doesn't get a ton of traffic, but again, people burn thru at like 65 sometimes, so be alert.

I'm more of a manning ave fan than 95 bc it has wider shoulders and on the weekends when you are avoiding drunk boaters coming home it's helpful, but both are good roads with nice views.

That was probably way more than you need to know.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Minnesota ride route advice pls. [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all. was able to find some nice smooth and quiet roads with your help, appreciate it.
Quote Reply