Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I have done for a number of years. Cheap, unlocked non-smart GSM phone + pay by the minute SIM card (T-Mobile in my case). I can leave the whopping big smart phone (Motorola Droid Turbo right now) in the car/at home and have cell phone/SMS in my saddlebag. Battery lasts forever and we forget how capable such (now) low tech devices are.
Last edited by: giorgitd: Apr 23, 15 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride in a tri suit with no pockets while training and put all my stuff inside this near my nuts including a phone, glasses, keys, maybe co2 etc I like to always go fast and that keeps me aero too
http://www.amazon.com/...turers/dp/B0049WJ6XW
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I must be the last guy in the world with an old flip phone. I get no cool points but it fits in my bento box no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I think I must be the last guy in the world with an old flip phone. I get no cool points but it fits in my bento box no problem.
I've got a phone like that, but rarely carry it while riding.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Threads like this are the reason I get on ST. Any grown ass man that owns a phablet, let alone rides with such a monstrosity needs his man card revoked immediately.

FYI, I ride with an IPhone 5 (Caseless) in a saddle bag with a tube, CO2, tire lever, ID and credit card. I wish I could dump all of it, but I'm prepared for that emergency even though there is no street cred.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the phrase "first world problems" was made for this thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Threads like this are the reason I get on ST. Any grown ass man that owns a phablet, let alone rides with such a monstrosity needs his man card revoked immediately.

FYI, I ride with an IPhone 5 (Caseless) in a saddle bag with a tube, CO2, tire lever, ID and credit card. I wish I could dump all of it, but I'm prepared for that emergency even though there is no street cred.

Some of us have gotten to the age where we don't really give a shit about street cred or what other people think about the phone we carry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:

Soooo.....you ride with a phone, but mock a guy simply because he wants to ride with a bigger phone? That is douchetastic...

Spot

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

Soooo.....you ride with a phone, but mock a guy simply because he wants to ride with a bigger phone? That is douchetastic...

Spot

I ride with a phone in case of a serious injury, a major mechanical failure, and so that I can call my wife to let her know I'm still alive when I'm gone for hours at a time (See #1 and #2). There's really nothing douchey about it. Riding without a phone is fine, but you are taking a risk, if you encounter an emergency. I find it ridiculous to carry a tablet, phablet or any other oversized electronic device on rides. It's just not practical. As another poster mentioned, he purchases a phone that accommodates his lifestyle. This makes a lot of sense in terms of triathlon. If you have to get on ST for advice on how to carry your huge phablet on training rides then I would have to say that is something I'm going to find amusing. I don't think I'm the only one that sees the humor with some of the pictures being posted on this thread. Other classics include the guy riding with headphones (Death wish) and the guy who actually uses his phone while riding (Death Wish #2). To the guy that takes calls while riding, do you still maintain an aero position on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
jsiege11 wrote:
It's a little too big to safely stay in a jersey pocket. A couple of mine have zippered pockets but non of my team ones do.

My pockets are not quite deep enough for it and when bouncing it can pop out. Happened to me today for the first time.

Thinking of something grippy to wrap around it? I still want to be able to pull it out when riding.

Why???

Not sure why I feel the need to respond to this, but I will anyway. I'm assuming your "Why???" is meant to judge him negatively for being dangerous, or maybe like some others you are judging him for being too connected while riding. Have you perhaps considered that there are some reasonable reasons to want to pull your phone out while temporarily stopped on a ride (which is probably what he meant). A couple examples for you:

-) Stopped at a red light, check that my wife hasn't sent me an important message
-) Stop at the side of the road to take a picture (sunset, beach, animal, ride buddies)
-) Stop to change my playlist because my music sucks

Being able to pull the phone out of your pocket easily and securely is practical. Does that mean you could also stupidly pull it out at 40 mph to take a selfie, sure, but not necessarily.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my collar bone 10 days ago falling off a horse - had an operation two days ago to put in a plate and rejoin the bones - how long was it before you got back to training and did you make a 100% recovery? Can you do push ups, pull ups etc.? Hope you got everything back - it was painful!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your phablet when riding? [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your collar bone. It sure is painful! If you search here you'll find plenty of collar bone stories to give some idea of the range of time for recovery. For mine surgery would have been elective and I chose not to have it done. I was back on my trainer in 2-3 days with a sling, but didn't get outside for 3 months while I waited for the x-rays to show healing. I'm at about 6 months and am pretty close to 100%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - best wishes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
walie wrote:
jsiege11 wrote:
It's a little too big to safely stay in a jersey pocket. A couple of mine have zippered pockets but non of my team ones do.

My pockets are not quite deep enough for it and when bouncing it can pop out. Happened to me today for the first time.

Thinking of something grippy to wrap around it? I still want to be able to pull it out when riding.

Why???

Not sure why I feel the need to respond to this, but I will anyway. I'm assuming your "Why???" is meant to judge him negatively for being dangerous, or maybe like some others you are judging him for being too connected while riding. Have you perhaps considered that there are some reasonable reasons to want to pull your phone out while temporarily stopped on a ride (which is probably what he meant). A couple examples for you:

-) Stopped at a red light, check that my wife hasn't sent me an important message
-) Stop at the side of the road to take a picture (sunset, beach, animal, ride buddies)
-) Stop to change my playlist because my music sucks

Being able to pull the phone out of your pocket easily and securely is practical. Does that mean you could also stupidly pull it out at 40 mph to take a selfie, sure, but not necessarily.

Haha, don't worry about it Joe :) I was fully aware and expecting 50% of the people who would respond would do so negatively or judgmentally (but worst of all, unhelpfully). There's some need to tell other people what they do is wrong that people find fulfillment for on ST. It's ok, I ignore all the responses like that. Got a good suggestion on a pouch that would contain all my flat fit and phone and fit in a pocket. Thinking about that, just pricey.

It's a solvable issue, for sure, and one I can easily solve meeting my needs (but perhaps not all my wants). Just trying to see if anyone had more elegant solutions I had not considered.

Any anyone who questions my manhood because of my choice in phones seems to have his own man-issues and I couldn't care less what people like that think.

lastly, RE the bolded highlight of my statement above...There's a penis joke in there that it took me quite a bit of restraint not to make.