Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stems
Quote | Reply
i used to use cromoly, now the standard is alloy, anybody noticed a structural disadvantage with the alloy.
Quote Reply
Re: stems [pdhamilt1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When's the last time you heard of someone breaking their stem?

The forged, heat-treated Al alloys that are widely are not failure prone. Damage to carbon steerers or bars from over clamping is a much bigger risk (though quite small if done properly).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: stems [pdhamilt1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdhamilt1 wrote:
i used to use cromoly, now the standard is alloy, anybody noticed a structural disadvantage with the alloy.

I think you need to ask Chris Froome this question as he spends a lot of time staring at his. :) Yeah...alloy is fine, so is carbon, but not worth the money in my opinion. y tri bike is carbon aduro bar, but on my road I use a Zipp aluminum bar and stem...the only thing I would recommend doing is rinsing the bar after riding as sweat can corrode the AI under the tape and lead to a nasty surprise. It goes without saying to periodically replace the bar tape and inspect this too! But never seen an AI stem corrode.
Quote Reply