Post deleted by PattiTris [ In reply to ]
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you decide to do?

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [Walter Mitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an alcoholic - been ones since i was 16. From then till I was 37 I drank like a fish, swam like a fish and got into tris while finishing a long time swimming career that lasted through D1 college - athletics never stopped me from drinking -

By the hand of god I got sober - long story not for here.

Since that day I will say that IM has been a small part of my recovery - but not the reason for or major reason why I continue to be sober. My only suggestion is to NOT let triathlon become the lynch pin of your sobriety - but you can use it as a tool to stay sober.

Happy to talk or help if you need it.

r

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went....made it through the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
I went....made it through the weekend.

Good for you!

I re-realized over the winter that I've fallen back into a drinking problem. It started out as social drinking and snowballed into "it's 11 a.m. and I'm working from home a beer or four won't hurt." I've cut back on the booze, but still haven't been able to go more than four days without a drink and a big part of it is from drinking with friends and family in social settings.

So to make it through a training weekend with a training partners that like to drink is an accomplishment to me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, kudos to you for making your decision.

Second, I have found that many of my problems can be traced back to searching for a connection...call it intimacy, even though I know how therapist-ish that sounds.

Nevertheless, I searched everywhere for that intimacy, and for a time while growing up I would get that through drinking....because something would happen when I drank. I would have more open conversations, I would talk to people that I wouldn't normally talk to, I would do things that would create a situation.

Now....I get my fix from my family and friends. My circle is probably much smaller than when I was in college, but man do we all love each other. We talk about things, sober, that create more emotion and feeling and more of a rush than any pint of beer could.

Alcohol has completely lost its luster for me. Not only can I have one beer if I want, I rarely want it, and stopping isn't hard. In fact, most of my old vices, which really just created a different kind of intimacy, have fallen away.

Training remains...and I feel fresh and awake each day. I train not because I have to, but because I get to. I realize that it is a privilege to swim, bike, and run everyday, and I want to take advantage of it the most that I can. Some days I have many opportunities to train, others I don't.

I always, have my family, and there are so many opportunities to talk and be with them. I don't let those slip away, either.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, put into words so well. I do feel a sense of what you're saying, and I guess that I am trying to change my lifestyle so that I can get to that place. I realize how fortunate I am to have the love of my wife and kids. That is one of the motivating factors.. I don't want to let them down and want that to grow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get there.

One thing that really worked for me was opening up more to my wife and friends. I mean really doing it...being much more vulnerable. Not only has it made my relationships so much more amazing, but it has reduced my need to find intensity elsewhere.

I don't put my game face on anymore, at least not to my wife. She knows what makes me happy, sad, scared, angry....we talk about all of it.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [nstearns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. A little easier everyday. I never think that it will get "easy" but a little more manageable each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
Thank you. A little easier everyday. I never think that it will get "easy" but a little more manageable each day.

how's it going?
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [IndyClay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had childhood migraines when I was a younger. CT scans and the gauntlet of medical. Went away when I got a bit older and haven't had one since.

Got REALLY bad anxiety/panic attacks/depression after undergraduate degree (most likely due to unhealthy eating, stress, finding a job in bad economy, student loan debt, and general unhappiness). Got to the point where I was hoping I would get taken out by a bus. Pushed everyone away. Broke up with girlfriend. Started having anger issues. This is not like me. I was always the happy funny clown kid that never did not smile. I am smart so never had to stress over much.

Started running/biking/swimming JUST so I could get out of my own head. I would enter the pain cave and never leave. If I ran hard enough to the point I could only focus on not passing out - then I could not wander and think about dwell. If I tired myself out enough during the day, I could get a decent night sleep (or at least not wake up every hour) After a year of hell I had a handle on things and did not get them anymore. I also stopped drinking the entire time. Hated the thought of not being in control of myself and thoughts.

Went back to graduate school to challenge myself and got my MBA. During this period I trained even harder because I was scared to death to get anxiety and panic attacks again - every time I got anxious or started to feel that I was - I would go run until I was to tired to feel anxious. Ended up with a great job, back together with my girlfriend, in a city I love with my best friends, and still train on the reg. Only problem is that I am still slow and love pizza too much :-)

btw: never once did I get on meds.
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My story is a bit different (obviously) than others. Up until last year (I'm in my 30s now), I would binge drink and blackout. Not all the time but a few nights a year.

My background is a cyclist, in 2013 I signed up for an IM in 2014 and spent the next year training. Throughout that year, I was very conscious about my drinking. I knew if I had more than 2 drinks it would affect my training the next day. What happened during this time is I started becoming aware of my thoughts around alcohol. I wanted have another drink, but my goal stopped me (well most of the time). It was quite the inner struggle!

So I did IM and and had a blast. A week later I had a friends wedding and completely blacked out. To this day I still don't remember the evening, but I do remember the 3 day hangover. I woke up the next day and said I will not drink for a while (saying forever is scary)..

That was 14 months ago. Since stopping drinking, I've had a leaner body, more energy, and have never felt better. The biggest lesson I've learned is to respect your goals, for they are bigger than you. I too thought I would loose some friends, but it has been the opposite. I have had a few friends who actually won't drink when with me (not that I care) and others told me I inspired them to rethink their habits. I don't preach, and have never told people "I don't Drink" (unless they ask). I'll even call up friends and say "let's go for wings and beers", and I'll just order a pop. I found if I don't make a big deal of it, neither will they.

Anyway, to anyone considering it. Give it 30 days and see the results. If it's working for you, keep going, if not, then no harm done :).

Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [jdr120] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amazing.

we'd love to have you (and anyone else!) join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/sobertriathlete/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First I congratulate all of you that have quit I also congratulate all that are thinking about it. That's how it started for me.

I have done 14 ironmans. All in my 50's. Proudest day in my life was when my daughter asked me if I ever had drank. Holy shit. This to a guy who could, and did, drink with the best of them. Tears flowed that day and still do when I think about it

This Januaey I will be 10 years sober. Best decision I ever made in my life after the one to have children

Good luck to all of you. It's an individual decision and journey. By a smart guy once said to me. "if you think you might have a problem. You do."
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [MrkS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrkS wrote:
First I congratulate all of you that have quit I also congratulate all that are thinking about it. That's how it started for me.

I have done 14 ironmans. All in my 50's. Proudest day in my life was when my daughter asked me if I ever had drank. Holy shit. This to a guy who could, and did, drink with the best of them. Tears flowed that day and still do when I think about it

This Januaey I will be 10 years sober. Best decision I ever made in my life after the one to have children

Good luck to all of you. It's an individual decision and journey. By a smart guy once said to me. "if you think you might have a problem. You do."

this is amazing. thanks for sharing. did you join our FB group? love to have you if you're not in it already https://www.facebook.com/groups/sobertriathlete/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did a lot of those then i stopped
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [MrkS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrkS wrote:

My kids don't ever remember me drinking alcohol.

Have a friend who is a sloppy drunk and it's started to affect his kids. It's really eye opening to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walter Mitty wrote:
windywave wrote:
Inspiring story.

Did they ever find out what caused the headaches?

No. They just went away over a few days. The ice pick headaches were brutal. After 2 weeks I was in the bath and told my wife that I started to understand why some people ended it all when they couldn't get relief from migraines. It affects every aspect of your life. Dark days.

Haven't had one since fortunately. I'm hoping my new lifestyle will keep them at bay.

A friend of mine, when riding, said that getting in good shape is a side effect, but it's not WHY you ride. I think that goes a long way- triathlon and the lifestyle and it's positive attributes truly help with life stresses.

On a different note. I had a wicked headache and high fever. I remember lying in bed and wanting to die so it would stop. Then the next morning I was better.... And I couldn't believe I was such a pussy. I mean- that's NOTHING compared to what some people endure! Anyway- just saying I get the feeling you had!
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's the worst. mine went on for weeks. I remember crying in the bath tub thinking it would never go away.
Quote Reply
Re: My experience with Ironman and sobriety [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kollac wrote:
Walter Mitty wrote:
tamiii wrote:
Very inspiring... and as they teach you as the USAT level 1 coaching clinic, most of the endurance athletes have got an inner "gremlin"!

Interesting. I'm not a coach, but intrigued at what they talk about. Can you elaborate?

I'm not a coach either but I think they're referring to addictive tendencies or "demons" that the endurance activity helps them deal with.

I have heard it said that every recovering alcoholic eventually finds either jesus or triathlon. PS I am a friend of Bill's, too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next