Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the attitude of cyclists and some bike shops is a barrier to a lot of people.

It's tiresome that this is still an issue. We first started talking about this, 20+ years ago. Yet, it still goes on to this day. You would think that most bike/tri shops would get the message, some do, but a good chunk of them do not. It's to their peril, and the numbers in terms of the total numbers of bike/tri shops is going in the wrong direction. One would think that fact alone would be a clear enough message that, you need to be more open and encouraging. Bit apparently not!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do see this as an issue and a big one at that. That being said, not sure about the US but in the UK cycling has grown really rapidly since the Olympics in 2012 where as Triathlon doesn't seem to have as much. This combined with (again in the UK) a big shift to buying cycling stuff on-line and bypassing shops rules it out as the main factor for me. The situation could be very different for you guys though, I don't know?

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Another big issue on top of equipment cost is training time. There are all kinds of couch to 5k programs. So couch to a 30+/- minute event for a brand new person. They can get to the finish of a 5k with a month of preparation.

If that same person wants to do a sprint tri they have to learn to swim, get to where they can ride for 45 - 60 minutes, then they can get to the 5k the other guy did after a month. Couch to sprint tri is a much longer journey. People forget how hard a sprint tri is for an unathletic, 30 pounds overweight, 40 year old dude.

That brings up another point. I've never understood why duathlons aren't more popular. Eliminating the swim takes out a huge barrier for most people. If you can run a 5k, you can finish a short duathlon without much additional training.

Experienced runners will still go out to run a couple 5ks during the year. Some even like to specialize in it. How many of us are going to go do a 30 minute triathlon let alone specialize in a 400m swim/3 mile ride/1 mile run triathlon? No one is going to invest in a bike of any level for an event like that. Though it would make transition coaches really freaking important.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Iain Gillam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do see this as an issue and a big one at that. That being said, not sure about the US but in the UK cycling has grown really rapidly since the Olympics in 2012 where as Triathlon doesn't seem to have as much. This combined with (again in the UK) a big shift to buying cycling stuff on-line and bypassing shops rules it out as the main factor for me. The situation could be very different for you guys though, I don't know?

Here's where many bike and tri shops COMPLETELY blew it. They had a HUGE opportunity with women going back 10 - 15 years ago, but they refused to understand how women shop and what they like to see in a shop and the way that shop needs to look. Many women did not like what they saw, or the way they were treated in bike/tri shops. So more than a few run shops ( who do understand the woman shopper better) started to offer on the side, cycling and tri apparel. Guess where many women started to shop for cycling gear and tri apparel?

Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running certainly has it's lessons - redefining the events into things that excite the current generation, not around formats left over from Athens or the 19xx Olympics.

Triathlon, though has a few other sports and industries to look at that present a better model than running:
- Off-road motocross (hard to watch, in the woods, etc) has been transformed to stadium cycling, or Moto-X for TV
- Downhill skiing is now done on a purpose built course, ready for TV (racer x), and morphed their product to the halfpipe
- X-country skiing has been put into spectator-friendly loops for better viewing
- Even stodgy golf built TPC, spectator friendly stadium courses
- Car racing and sailing both specify the equipment that can be used in certain types of races, so 'standard' equipment drives down cost (F1 and

It's all about eyeballs and controllable costs. Triathlon struggles with both at the moment.

For eyeballs (which drive retail and profit), the product needs to change. Endurance sport is just not exciting for the masses. To improve --> Things like:
- Tri must be viewable, both in-person and on TV. Think stadium concept or short course.
- Reasonable event elapsed time. An 8-16 hour event is not saleable. Maybe the concept of 'endurance' changes to 5 or 6 races in a weekend.
- Allow drafting.
- Small-to-mid size waves with same 'category' performers. Think Cat 1/2/3/4
- Bracket-style advancements to a semi-final and final

For controllable costs (mostly related to the bike), how about a 'standard' bike spec, able to be produced en Masse? Think Alu round tube, Shimano 105, 32-spoke wheels. That would never happen, but it's a nice thought.

Honestly, many sharp minds have tried to make triathlon grow and be profitable - and the best in the promotion / hype business (network TV) could only come up with one hour of compelling tri footage A YEAR. Endurance sport does not tip the scale on excitement unless you're the athlete, or on other rare occasions. The product needs to change.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need to UNlearn one thing we learned from running. We need to stop requiring the bib numbers. What's the point of those in triathlon again? Oh right there isn't one. It's just inertia.
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That brings up another point. I've never understood why duathlons aren't more popular. Eliminating the swim takes out a huge barrier for most people. If you can run a 5k, you can finish a short duathlon without much additional training.

It's because triathlon's are infinitely more fun. Plus, they start on the beach. People like the beach. Don't take that away from them.

No one ever got media coverage for struggling their way to the end of a du. There is not much of an equivalent to the Ironman of duathlon. Triathlon is in the Olympics. It gets occasional tv coverage. Hunter Kemper was on a box of Wheaties. Therefore, to the masses, tri's are a greater challenge making you more of a badass for finishing one.

It's misguided logic on their part since I think that duathlons are tougher (bordering on the side of evil), but the masses have never been known for their use of logic.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duathlons are lame. They seem to attract people who refuse to learn to swim, which also translates to being mediocre at one or both disciplines due to ill-disciplined training. Often they are only good runners or good cyclists.

I did one duathlon, ever. It was lame. A lot of guys biked 40Km under an hour, then ran 10K in the low 50s minutes. Cyclists! Or biked in 1:20 and then ran a 37-38 minute 10K. They were all bragging how they "don't do swimming". It really left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention the race organizer shoved us into a corner of the transition. Duathlon was just an afterthought. Tri was the main event. They were all down on the beach with the spectators, and we were up by the bikes. Alone. Finally one volunteer showed up late to start the du race.
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Duathlons are lame. They seem to attract people who refuse to learn to swim, which also translates to being mediocre at one or both disciplines due to ill-disciplined training. Often they are only good runners or good cyclists.

I did one duathlon, ever. It was lame. A lot of guys biked 40Km under an hour, then ran 10K in the low 50s minutes. Cyclists! Or biked in 1:20 and then ran a 37-38 minute 10K. They were all bragging how they "don't do swimming". It really left a bad taste in my mouth. Not to mention the race organizer shoved us into a corner of the transition. Duathlon was just an afterthought. Tri was the main event. They were all down on the beach with the spectators, and we were up by the bikes. Alone. Finally one volunteer showed up late to start the du race.

I see the problem with our sport having SO many judging what and how others do, rather than supporting everyone that gets off their butt! I do not care if it is a triathlon, duathlon, Aquathlon, Aquabike, long or short race,
they are all equally fine in my mind! So some do not like to swim, who cares. Or some do not like to run, who cares?

I helped at a 5K run race yesterday. It was a lot of fun. Why? Because this was a doggy 5K run. Boy were those dogs having a great time being able to run and pull their masters. There were small dogs and large dogs,
and or course, small folks and large folks. Who cares, everyone was having fun!

But I do continue to see race numbers dropping. The race I did Sat in the past had 500 folks. This year, about 200.

How do more folks get interested in racing? First, let a new person do it for free. And somehow get a balance for a competitive division and maybe a just have fun division. I have heard lots of women
say they just do not want to be competitive.

And seeing this season it has become a lot harder to find volunteers to work at races.

I guess those color runs, mud runs, etc can be a lot of fun with no training or huge costs.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for triathlon there are two barriers....

cost and swimming. i wish i had a nickle for every time i hear "i am not a great swimmer".

and the cost of a bike...well bike prices have become outrageous simply saying. yes you can buy an entry tt bike for reasonable price. but guess what 2k for someone that is a non-cyclist is alot. even if you go used still $1k. that is alot of money for someone that is going to be doing 1 race per year. majority of folks have this idea that bikes should be $100-200 because that is what their bike cost when they were 7 yrs old.

bike industry does not help itself with the current pricing structure...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some contrary thoughts just to play devil's advocate: The tone of this thread sounds like the entire purpose of triathlon is to foster growth to benefit the tri-related industry. What if there was no growth and triathlon participation roughly stayed the same for the next 10 years...enough participation to support existing events, but not enough to increase their size or add new ones? How would that hurt anyone who is not trying to make a living from the sport and just wants to race the current available formats? On the contrary, a mild relaxation in demand could have some positive effects for participants.

I agree that there are formidable barriers to entry in triathlon, and a lot of folks on this thread want to see those costs reduced, but I don't think the industry leaders want everyone to race on Walmart specials. And I didn't see a single specific proposal on how you would control the technology chase that is endemic in the cycling world. Are these folks suggesting that RDs should ban deep dish wheels and carbon fiber bikes so as not to intimidate newbies? Do you think the tri-industry wants that?

And frankly, I don't want to see triathlon dumbed down like running with color runs, mud runs, obstacle runs, etc. just so the industry can sell more shoes, but there's nothing stopping a RD from doing that. Just eliminate all timing and add corn starch at T1, T2 and the finish. In fact, the triathlon equivalent of a color/obstacle run already exists: http://www.lifesabeachtriathlon.com/ It's fine with me that this is an option for folks, but I sincerely hope the sport doesn't take a big turn in this direction.
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

I guess that's why Mark Allen and Paula Newbie Frazier, 14 Ironman World Championships between them, both raced and won Powerman Zofingen, the world's preeminent long course duathlon. Yes, if you enter a duathlon that is part of a triathlon then you can expect it to be the red haired step sister. I would recommend looking for races where the duathlon is THE event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's been interesting watching gravel racing boom, and see how many people describe 'cross/gravel bikes as the "the kind of bike I always wanted," or "the right bike for 85% of the riding I do."

this could be a case of the tail wagging the dog, but I honestly think this might be a good example of the market responding to its customers and building the products they want. mud runs and obstacle races are booming right now - maybe we'll see the same with more casual, friendly, 'gravel'-type bike races in future?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trix99 wrote:
for triathlon there are two barriers....

cost and swimming. i wish i had a nickle for every time i hear "i am not a great swimmer".

and the cost of a bike...well bike prices have become outrageous simply saying. yes you can buy an entry tt bike for reasonable price. but guess what 2k for someone that is a non-cyclist is alot. even if you go used still $1k. that is alot of money for someone that is going to be doing 1 race per year. majority of folks have this idea that bikes should be $100-200 because that is what their bike cost when they were 7 yrs old.

bike industry does not help itself with the current pricing structure...

Sure does not have to be this way. I started racing triathlons using a snorkel since I could not swim or breathe. The bike I road for the first years was a mountain bike I was given for free. The second was an old road bike I got for like $100 bucks. I still have both of these bikes in my garage.

So I do not blame anyone other than the person who has excuses, rather than finding cheap solutions like I started off with.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't directly answer your question but LifeTime has started promoting and hosting Indoor Triathlons. To an established triathlete they probably sound pretty lame but to someone that has never done a triathlon it is the most cost effective, least intimidating way to try out the sport (done on spin bike, treadmill, and pool). I've heard the participation numbers are pretty good. It would be interesting to see how many people convert to doing "real" triathlons. I'm sure LifeTime has their own motivations but you have to give them credit for trying something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I've been doing multisport races for 30 years and some of the best races I've ever done were the Coors Light Duathlon (Biathlon) Series from the late 80s, early 90s. The New York Biathlon series was great too. Here in CO, Darrin Eisman with Racing Underground puts on the Mile High Duathlon Series. They are well attended and pretty competitive.

I would agree that duathlons held in conjunction with a triathlon are usually given second billing. I think they could be packaged differently and appeal to a broader audience. For most people getting into multisport, swimming is their limiter.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling has a lot more in common with running than triathlon does, let's be fair. There is such a thing as casual cycling and running, nothing called casual triathlon. Adventurous folks 'try' triathlon but rarely stick to it, it's not like cycling where you can find a B ride any nice weekend of the year and have a great time and get a mild workout in. And running? My wife is a runner, at least inasmuch as the industry defines it, and she doesn't run more than 300 miles a year. I think it's an interesting article/reporting item from the cycling business' perspective (it is published on bicycleretalier.com after all), but extrapolating it to triathlon seems like a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but extrapolating it to triathlon seems like a stretch

I see your point but . . . triathletes have to buy a bike and cycling related apparel and gear! :)

Quote Reply
Re: What can the Bike (and the Tri) business learn from running? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's been interesting watching gravel racing boom

Boom? We'll see. More like a movement I would think. Again, ironically the people you would think would be most into something - the existing core of triathletes and road cyclists, are the ones least interested in this.

I was on a group ride a couple of years ago - mixed roadies and triathletes of about 20 people, and we came up to a about a 500m stretch of gravel road - good gravel, well packed and easily ride-able. The group insisted on making an abrupt U-Turn. They seemed terrified of the gravel!

Quote Reply

Prev Next