Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calling it now: some yahoo misses their swim start because they were busy warming up at the pool. Wouldn't be shocked to hear several yahoo's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Dev - It is an in water start, but the area is very small (as is the lake) Athletes had 4 min. to "warm up" in the water before each wave. Having the Pool open next year before the race will allow athletes to warm up a bit longer if they need to do so. Z

OK, if it was in water and athletes had 4 minutes then that should be enough if they already jogged a bit on land. But can you push the swim start an extra 100m further out from land without interfering with the rest of the swim flow. That alone would "force" people to warmup somewhat on the way to the start so they actually use the 4 minutes you give them rather than not move around and stay close to land and then think they had no warmup opportunity.

One thing about a "jogging warmup" is the blood flow is shunted more towards the legs....when we dive in and start swimming hard, it is still possible to hyperventilate around 30-60 min after starting to "sprint" depending on the person. I have tried several tests in training where I jog/run the 10 min to the pool and immediately start with a sprint as hard as I can, and invariably my arms get really heavy really soon and then I have to ease off on the upper body intensity after 50m and then pick up the upper body effort, even though the cardio is "warmed up". The jogging warmup + 4 min before the swim and I have better results.

I also generally have bad starts at beach starts even if there is a warmup area going from vertical standing still and running into the water to horizontal often with overzealous people (most of whom will swim a lot slower than me) diving onto my back. Triathletes in general are just really really really bad at pacing their race out of the gate. The fastest average run pace at Ironman South Africa a few weeks ago was the 50 m "sprint" from the beach to the water even before we started the actual 140.6 mile journey....I had this one guy who said he was going to swim 1:40 line up right beside me. I told him to go 7 rows back and he would not move. He proceeded to pummel me 5 meters into the water. In water starts tends to eliminate some of that to some degree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I do not want to be critial of your race.I like it. I have been racing since 1981. My buddy owns a racing company and I have volunteered over a 100 races. I have seen a boatload of swim starts. Every race someone gets into trouble. I know my body really well.I need a swim warm up. A couple hard 25 yard efforts with a stand up in between does the trick. I do the 2 mile run before the race start but that does not carry over to the water. I need to get horizonal in the water. If you can get use of the pool before the race start that would be super. A crowed pool would do wonders. What I am trying to say, if there will be no swim warm up at all I would like to know so I can make a choice on doing this race. The swim course open on sat. helps learn the course but that does not carry over to sunday. With Muskona 70.3, Muncie 70.3, Slyvania,3 rivers and Hawaii coming up I will be able to get in the water before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, why the weird layout? There's got to be another way to fit 1.2miles of swimming in that lake.
Being in one of the last waves sucked as people from earlier waves where floating all over :-(
If not than do it like IMF and make it a 2 lap out'n back course.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 minutes = PLENTY of time to do a couple 25 yard efforts!

Dude, you're killing us with this. Every single person went through the same thing. You can't be that 'special'.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall anyone dying or really struggling when we did the Vice Versa triathlon a few times couple of years ago: run/bike/swim. Nobody warmed up in the water prior to the race, and we all went from hammering on the bike to running to the beach to diving in the cold ocean and hammering for nine minutes or so. I felt great and really enjoyed the swim.

You just have to know your abilities under varying circumstances.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason I'm annoyed is because it seems like every single email from WTC promotes their swim safe initiative which practically screams that you need a good in water warm up and then you get to the race and it's a totally different song and dance.

Miamiamy, it's called "marketing"
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of complaining going on here is insane. It is a race, you sign up for it....it wasn't the first year, it didn't sell out. There was plenty of time to research the swim warm up and find an alternate race if the warm up period didn't meet your requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue is getting ones heart rate up, and that can be done in many different ways. Swimming is one but not the only way. I believe WTC just tried to keep it simple.

Now that I have done my last 3 races with zero swim warmup's, it really has been no big deal and is a process that is a must to have for cold water swims.

I want to complain I get no bike warmup or run warmup either.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ironman florida 70.3 [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was quoting Miamiamy,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Tom, I do not want to be critial of your race.I like it. I have been racing since 1981. My buddy owns a racing company and I have volunteered over a 100 races. I have seen a boatload of swim starts. Every race someone gets into trouble. I know my body really well.I need a swim warm up. A couple hard 25 yard efforts with a stand up in between does the trick. I do the 2 mile run before the race start but that does not carry over to the water. I need to get horizonal in the water. If you can get use of the pool before the race start that would be super. A crowed pool would do wonders. What I am trying to say, if there will be no swim warm up at all I would like to know so I can make a choice on doing this race. The swim course open on sat. helps learn the course but that does not carry over to sunday. With Muskona 70.3, Muncie 70.3, Slyvania,3 rivers and Hawaii coming up I will be able to get in the water before the race.

Being critical of the race is exactly what you're doing, nitpicking. In the grand scheme of things how much time would a "proper" warm up have saved you.

From the WTC standpoint, how is not having a warm up unsafe? You can still get your heart rate up plenty fine on the beach, or in the 4 minutes you were in the water. Is there a study somewhere, that I missed, connecting lack of a swimming warm up to heart attacks? Go research the last few triathlon related deaths (swimming) and come back with how many actually had a warm up swim. Maybe the warm up swim is to blame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You keep crowing the Swim Smart Initiative as pounding the in water warmup.... Says nothing of the kind (and also says learn about, and prepare for, course details like these.... surely the no in water warmup info was available to you). I've bolded below the only reference to in water warmup

IRONMAN SwimSmart: Top 10 Checklist
An open-water swim in a triathlon is substantially different from swimming in a pool. To alleviate stress, it’s important that you arrive on race day healthy, fit and prepared. Here's a top-10 checklist to help get you ready.

1. Prepare for Race Conditions
  • Race day should not be your first open water swim. Make sure some of your training replicates real race conditions, including water temperature, proximity to other swimmers and wearing a wetsuit if needed.

2. Race in Shorter Events
  • Being properly trained is the best way to reduce anxiety. If possible, race in shorter events and clinics to prepare yourself for open water conditions.
  • For extra guidance, talk to a coach or your local triathlon club.

3. Learn About Course Details
  • It's important to prepare yourself mentally as well as physically prior to race day. Thoroughly review the race website and pre-race communication to familiarize yourself with the course.
  • Keep in mind, every body of water is different, so you’ll need to educate yourself on water current and surf conditions.
  • Study the event timetable to plan for proper arrival and preparation.

4. Ensure Heart Health
  • As an athlete in training, you should take the proper steps to assess your health with your physician.
  • The American Heart Association suggests a 12-step screening process for competitive athletes. This includes a physical exam as well as an assessment of your family history and personal heart health.

5. Pay Attention to Warning Signs
  • If you experience chest pain or discomfort, shortness of breath, light-headedness or blacking out while training, consult your doctor.

6. Don’t Use New Gear on Race Day
  • Focus on controlling as much as you can on race day.
  • You should never race in equipment you haven’t trained in—this is not the time to test new gear.
  • Make sure your wetsuit fits properly and that your goggles, swim cap and other accessories work properly.
  • Prepare for the unexpected with backups of all your gear.

7. Warm Up on Race Day
  • Arrive early enough on race day for a proper warm-up prior to the start, preferably in the water.
  • If you aren’t able to warm up in the water, spend between 5 and 10 minutes getting loose.
  • Be sure to do some cardio activity, such as a light jog, to increase circulation and prep your muscles.

8. Check Out the Course
  • Get comfortable with the course by checking out water conditions, the swim entry, exit layouts, along with turn buoy locations.
  • Identify basic navigation points so that you know what you are swimming towards.

9. Start Easy – Relax and Breathe
  • Don’t race at maximum effort from the start.
  • Relax and focus on proper breathing technique as you settle into a sustainable pace.

10. Be Alert and Ask for Help
  • In a race setting always stop at the first sign of a medical problem.
  • If you or a fellow athlete needs help, just raise your hand to alert a lifeguard or safety boat. Feel free to hold on to a static object like a raft, buoy, or dock. As long as you don’t use it to move forward, you won’t face disqualification.
  • Race rules allow for competitors to stop or rest at any time during the swim.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz3XzNDXtZV

In fact the Florida 70.3 Athlete Guide is is even more clear that if you can't get int he water, warm up on land

7. Warm Up on Race Day • Arrive early enough on race day for a proper warm-up prior to the start, • If you aren’t able to warm up in the water, spend between 5 and 10 minutes getting loose. • Be sure to do some cardio activity, such as a light jog, to increase circulation and prep your muscles
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 21, 15 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
We are looking at the possibility of having the aquatic center at Lake Eva open on race morning to allow athletes a warm-up swim before next year's event. The pool is located across the parking lot from the swim start. It would be open from 6 am until the last wave goes into the water to allow athletes a chance to warm up before their wave start in the lake. Z

I think this is a horrible idea. Assuming that this is a 6 lane pool, that means you would only have 12 triathletes able to warm-up at any given time. Or, that's what me experiences at my local pools have taught me... 2 per lane, that's it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next