Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event
Quote | Reply
Its been a few years since my last IM but finally work and family commitments have alined to allowed me to look forward to what will be Ironman number 7 and I'm excited, cant wait.

Must admit I did register and travelled to IM Tahoe in 2013 but didn't even toe the start line, lets just say having a baby and my wife in an ankle boot after a fall for 3 months changed my life and priorities more than I though it would and I was not in any shape to tackle and IM let alone one like Tahoe. Watching Tahoe was awesome and very inspirational definitely wanted to be out there suffering with the masses but also a little bit happy to be watching, loved the surrounding area and the drive up from LA through the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Ok long story short very tempted to sign up for IM Tahoe but also conscious that I've already spent a week in the area and given the travel from Aus I'm always keen to see something new and experience something different. Oh and why the US, Mother in Law lives in Florida so we return pretty regularly, I'm not complaining lovely travelling around the US great people and heaps to see.

Right so the key things I'm looking for in a race are as follows in order of priority, realistically this is my last IM for another few years so I'm looking for something epic, race will be 2016 so all events are options at the moment:
- Challenging, having completed 6 IM's I'm keen to have a crack at a race that makes me smile when I remember crossing that finish line, tough arsed course, nothing flat love the hills and the harder the run the better.
- Beautiful setting, likely base the family at the race venue for a week so somewhere we can enjoy the sights, nature is great national parks, don't need access to a city and happy to drive.
- Weather, don't really mind but prob prefer July-Sept to be travelling. Do I need to be mindful of holidays? Don't really like the idea of battling masses in the middle of peak holiday season.
- Location, loved getting up to Tahoe on the last visit so very keen to see more of the North maybe cross over into Canada, so races I have been considering are: Tahoe, Coeur d'Alene, Whistler, Wisconsin, Muskoka, Lake Placid and Mont-Temblant.
- Hawaii qualifier, last and least would take a spot if I'm quick enough, last IM was 2mins away from a spot but that was years ago and a lot of lost fitness ago, if I have the time and dedication I might have chance.

Another consideration is probably how quickly the race fills, given the long lead time conscious that plans move so a race that takes a couple of months to fill might be a positive.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and getting back to IM shape!!
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [NatFal_in_Aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I think Whistler would fit the bill for you.

6000+ Ft climbing on bike
Beautiful Lake Swim and the Area is just fantastic.
End of July
Whistler is still open.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [NatFal_in_Aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canada races may be more aligned with the OZ dollar than US since the US dollar is so strong. But CDA would be first recommended. Rolling and hilly on bike. Big climb twice on run. The bike is close to Kona-like though without the lava fields and Pacific Ocean views. Small town closeness. Based in the city park but the whole course is like one big park. The residents support the racers and the race. Afterwards, spend sometime in Seattle since you are coming so far away. Arguably the prettiest city in the world when the sun is out. Wisconsin is about as challenging. Setting is in a bigger city but most of the bike is in the country like the old IM OZ. More hills, fewer lakes. Lots of crowd support. Then plan to spend some time in Chicago afterwards and see one of the prettiest inland seas and skyline in the world. Lake Placid requires minimum week stays at lodging. More remote. Mont-Temblant is an awesome setting. You will go thru Montreal, which is more European than any American city. Whistler is about 90 minutes north of Vancouver. Big city, wide open northern country setting. All great choices. You will not be disappointed in any of the choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look no further than Ironman Wisconsin. This is a no forgiveness course in an awesome town. It's a wetsuit lake swim, a constantly hilly bike, and a hilly run. The crowd support is Tour de France-like on the climbs on the bike and on State Street on the run. I've done Tremblant too and WI is better. There's a reason many of the other races you mentioned don't sell out quickly and this one does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whistler.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not done Whistler but I've been in the area a couple times for vacation. It is stunning and if you're in any shape there are loads of hikes and beautiful places around Lake Louise and Banff which are well within driving distance. If you fly to Vancouver there are a bunch of places you could stop off on the way back (hot springs/vineyards/etc) and then checkout the city.

That's not within your lists but if you're travelling with your family there is a lot to sell them on.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
I've not done Whistler but I've been in the area a couple times for vacation. It is stunning and if you're in any shape there are loads of hikes and beautiful places around Lake Louise and Banff which are well within driving distance. If you fly to Vancouver there are a bunch of places you could stop off on the way back (hot springs/vineyards/etc) and then checkout the city.

That's not within your lists but if you're travelling with your family there is a lot to sell them on.

You should have directed this to the OP. I live an hour from Banff and yes its a great beautiful spot. We did drive to Whistler in 2013. Stopped in Kamloops on day 1 and took the back road into Whistler. On the return we spent several days in Vancouver and drove the whole way home from there. Long bloody day.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid. History of 2 Olympics with beautiful scenery. Also meets your timeframe. Flying in/out of Montreal might make sense.

CdA was a lot like Placid, but no history and the scenery wasn't as nice. Also just outside your timeframe.

I noticed you didn't have Arizona or Florida on the list and I can understand why. They are nice, but not "historic". Both are considerably outside your timeframe as is Cozumel which I would highly recommend. Flat, yes, but the wind on the bike makes it challenging.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at "Iron distance" and don't care whether WTC is involved or not, you may want to look at the old IMC course - Penticton, now Challenge. Gorgeous lake swim (wetsuit), same bike as it has always been, lots of climbing and a relatively flat run as they have removed some of the hills that used to be in the run. Plus a real nice vacation spot.

Other than that, of the ones you've mentioned, I'd look at either Whistler or Mt-Tremblant near the top then Cda and Lake Placid.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info very helpful.

At the moment leaning toward Whistler and CdA, largely for proximity to holiday sightseeing, keen on seeing some of the Canadian Rockies and the broader area including Seattle depending on where we land. Wisconsin also sounds like an awesome race but I'm not sure if that will fit with families travel plans and hard to complain from where I'm sitting right now with the go ahead to start training :-)

One more question, is there a period with summer holidays at there peak that I should avoid if possible? I know here in Australia peak holiday seasons and accommodation costs go through the roof, any thoughts on this.

Anyone completed in both Whistler and CdA, thoughts recommendations?

Thanks again,
Nathan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be racing CDA for the first time this year, so I can't really comment on the experience yet. But one thing worth noting is that it isn't far from CDA to Glacier National Park. I would definitely put Glacier on the list of must sees for National Parks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nathan:

No special dates to avoid for the destinations your are looking at to race. The last weekend of May, first weekend of September, and around the 4th of July will be the busiest, again though, not an issue with your race dates. If looking to extend your holiday, August is the busiest in the States at Parks, resorts, and lakeside rentals as families try to get in their vacations before kids head back to school. Either Whistler or CDA will position you well to see the Rockies, Seattle, Vancouver, and of course race. Regards, Doug
Quote Reply
Re: Guys and girls Aussie needing help to pick a US Ironman event [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmsbr wrote:
Nathan:

No special dates to avoid for the destinations your are looking at to race. The last weekend of May, first weekend of September, and around the 4th of July will be the busiest, again though, not an issue with your race dates. If looking to extend your holiday, August is the busiest in the States at Parks, resorts, and lakeside rentals as families try to get in their vacations before kids head back to school. Either Whistler or CDA will position you well to see the Rockies, Seattle, Vancouver, and of course race. Regards, Doug

Whistler and CdA are no where near the Rockies...

My vote would be Whistler as the course is very difficult, has epic scenery, and it is a great place to spend time before or after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both Whistler and CDA and they are both great venues and races. Summer lodging rates are always slightly higher, but not horrible, if you are planning to go this summer lodging in and around CDA can get limited this close to the race so I would check that out. I will be competing there for the 7th time this year so I may be somewhat partial. The lodging rates at Whistler are quite reasonable for ironman week. With either race you could do a lot of great travel around the Pacific Northwest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again guys huge thanks for the helpful insights.

Still a while till I need to pull the trigger so will do some more research on options.

Leaning toward Whistler for a tough race with beautiful scenery, reasonable accommodation and location for driving holiday. Need to look closer at flights and timing for the trip. The memories of Tahoe back in 2013 are still there so might reconsider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAKE PLACID
Quote Reply