Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heads up for the ferry if you are not in an early wave: I took the ferry without a problem on the ferry itself last year, but the bus from the ferry to the start took more than an hour, and I missed my wave. Don't hang for too long at the ferry station, though it is really tempting if it is cold and windy like it was last year.

Also, agree with everyone who says poncho, though it is still quite a walk to get to the poncho. Can't even imagine the cluster it must have been to retrieve a checked bag if everyone says poncho is the better option.

Enjoy it! Those last few miles in Central Park hurt like hell, but were also the most fun running I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the first wave and taking the 6:00 bus from the NY Public Library. I'm ready to (hopefully) enjoy the first 20 miles and hurt the last 10K!

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bib 6577, Green Wave 1 Corral B. Guess I start under the bridge. Damn.

My last stand alone marathon was 2008 at NYC and I ran 3:50. I'm attempting to run 3:10 this year. If I do happen to BQ (40 years old), I will post pics, garmin file, and all my garmin connect training files for the past 6 months.

Just ran 1:29:30 at Brooklyn half on Saturday after missing my wave and running/zig-zagging thru 7 waves to get to open roads. This is going to be a close one.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first time running it so what's the big deal with under/on top of the bridge, etc.? I'm Orange Wave 1 Corral and I think I read somewhere that I'm on top?

Good luck to you in your BQ conquest.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe being in the first wave won't be bad, but the lower bridge runners have a tendency to get pee'd on by the upper deck runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I see. That would be unpleasant.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Maybe being in the first wave won't be bad, but the lower bridge runners have a tendency to get pee'd on by the upper deck runners.

Urban legend. Anyone who thinks this have either not ran the NYC Marathon or don't know much about large long-span bridges.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just going with the legend. In 2008, I think we were the first year to have corrals. I know for sure I ran under the bridgte. Never felt any golden mist, but then again I started out at sub 5 pace and zig zagged thru the wave. Pretty much hit the wall at mile 2. I'm hoping 7 years has taught me a little restraint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing NYC on Sunday for the fourth time. For the first time in my life I am nervous before a running race. I am nowhere near fit for this race. After my poor performance at IM Lake Placid(which I went into extremely fit) I just couldn't start the training back up again. Deferring isn't an option because my financial situation has changed so next year I will not be able to plunk down $250+ again to do the race. Figured since it's already paid for this year I will give it a go.

The problem is that I still had some fitness left from Placid so when I did a hilly 10k in August I did well. Fooled my self into thinking fitness was there and then couldn't motivate myself to do the long training runs. Longest training runs have been 2 16 milers(one very hilly) and 2 13+ milers. No speedwork to speak of. Did a flat half mary Oct 3 and did 1:32:07. Very steady pace throughout but was fading fast. Just going to try to enjoy this the best I can until the pain sets in. I figure it will be a sufferfest from the 59th St bridge until the finish.

Good luck to all running. For all with BQ aspirations I hope you nail it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather is looking perfect so far. Should be a fun day and not nearly as miserable of a wait before the start as last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might not set a PR or anything, but you've been doing 16 mile runs, so you shouldn't have trouble finishing. Just don't let the crowd around you goad you into running a pace you can't maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, discipline is the word of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
Doing NYC on Sunday for the fourth time. For the first time in my life I am nervous before a running race. I am nowhere near fit for this race. After my poor performance at IM Lake Placid(which I went into extremely fit) I just couldn't start the training back up again. Deferring isn't an option because my financial situation has changed so next year I will not be able to plunk down $250+ again to do the race. Figured since it's already paid for this year I will give it a go.

The problem is that I still had some fitness left from Placid so when I did a hilly 10k in August I did well. Fooled my self into thinking fitness was there and then couldn't motivate myself to do the long training runs. Longest training runs have been 2 16 milers(one very hilly) and 2 13+ milers. No speedwork to speak of. Did a flat half mary Oct 3 and did 1:32:07. Very steady pace throughout but was fading fast. Just going to try to enjoy this the best I can until the pain sets in. I figure it will be a sufferfest from the 59th St bridge until the finish.

I don't know what your background is, and I don't know what you want to achieve on this race. But based on your half marathon time, where you were running a little "slower" than 7 min per mile pace, you really should not have a problem this Sunday.

Goodness man, seriously! If that time is a problem for you, then you definitely have some issues.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 NYC Marathon [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
alittleslow wrote:

I don't know what your background is, and I don't know what you want to achieve on this race. But based on your half marathon time, where you were running a little "slower" than 7 min per mile pace, you really should not have a problem this Sunday.

Goodness man, seriously! If that time is a problem for you, then you definitely have some issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just trying to state that I don't feel prepared compared to previous races. I respect the distance and I respect the race. I'm sorry I mentioned it. Don't think I have issues, maybe pre race jitters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next