Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycle commuting backpack
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for recommendations on decent backpacks for cycle commuting. I have used my running hydration pack in the past but find that I really have to squeeze the change of clothes in there and cannot bring shoes if I needed to. I would need to carry a few snacks, pants, shirt, tie, possibly shoes. I do want enough room to bring a change of clothes for the day but don't want something that is too large like a regular school/backpack.

What do you all use?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I need to carry a lot: Osprey Radial 34

When I don't need to carry as much - an older Deuter pack (something like 15 or 20 liters) that they don't make anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretend to be homeless or a student from a (low income) middle school and WTC will shortly be sending you out a backpack from an event you didn't do.

In seriousness though, I use either an old event backpack (with an elastic lace on the front to compress the contents) or a KIMM 35lts. Light as you like and not so bulky when I'm not carrying the full work clothes load.

Re-reading the above, please note that every other evening I ride so leave my work stuff at work, and take home the two days worth of stuff the next day (one pack in the other, two sets of work clothes etc).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations on decent backpacks for cycle commuting. I have used my running hydration pack in the past but find that I really have to squeeze the change of clothes in there and cannot bring shoes if I needed to. I would need to carry a few snacks, pants, shirt, tie, possibly shoes. I do want enough room to bring a change of clothes for the day but don't want something that is too large like a regular school/backpack.

What do you all use?

Thanks

I use an Ogio NoDrag Mach 5, which is probably as aero as you will get with a backpack. It'll fit all the items you listed (without the expansion) and the Mach 5 (vs. 3 or 1) has a zipper to expand the size. If you want something lighter (and less voluminous), you get the 1 or 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you asked about packs, but if your bike mojo won't be killed by a rear rack, saddle bags are hard to beat. They are more comfortable and the bike handles better with the lower CG. I used a seat post rack on my CX bike for a while and eventually gave up as the rack wanted to wag its tail when I stood up on a hill. I even epoxied the seat post clamp in place and could still feel it shaking.

I can easily pack lunch, towel and work clothes in an early 90's set of Nashbar saddle bags. Speedstick, sunscreen and shower shoes live in one pocket for all trips except family rides to the beach. This setup leaves my back free for the computer pack on days I can't live without the darn thing. (I keep a spare laptop power supply at home so I can avoid the extra fitness that comes with schlepping it back and forth.)

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Henty Wingman
Either the 'normal' style, single strap, or the new backpack version.
Works well when I need a suit at work, and a 30k ride to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced my old backpack with a Vaude Alpin 25+5 at the end of last year and am loving it. Very lightweight but seems well made and not had so much as a loose thread after ~100 days of use. Can take a big load when needed (I normally take shoes, complete change of clothes, micro towel, and a lightweight laptop with charger) but has zippable expansion pack and straps so that it is nice and compact when carrying a smaller load. Other nice features are that it allows a good bit of airflow down my back, and has an integrated rain cover that zips out when needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:

What do you all use?

Burton SnowBoards AK pack.
Designed for heli-skiing, works great on a bike. Pretty much any decent snowboard/ski backpack will work provided its a pack designed for riding. This means it should sit quite close to your back, on your hips and have compression straps to keep everything compact and tidy.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mobex by Columbia is awesomw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the rei flash pack. Very light weight. Sternum and waist strap. Fit my clothes, shoes and lunch. Two inside pockets. I also leave extra shoes at work so I don't need to carry them all of the time. Loops on outside to hook your rear bike light. My commute entails a lot of climbing. This pack is very light and moves with you nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are planning on leaving things at work, I don't see how you can meet your relatively small pack requirements. You mention possibly shoes, but you have pants, shirt and tie? Are you wearing your cycling shoes? Do you also have to carry a towel and toiletries?Depending on the length of your commute you want something that is stable and doesn't flop around. Unstructured packs and messenger style bags will do this. Something small will force you to compromise and squeeze your clothes in, wrinkling etc. I personally went with a Chrome Ivan pack. Works great, a lot of features, stable, capacity, separate wet section for clothes/towel.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im thinking about getting the osprey radial... any things about it that you don't like? can you fit a dress shirt in there somehow without it wrinkling up on you?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which size REI Flash pack do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
Im thinking about getting the osprey radial... any things about it that you don't like? can you fit a dress shirt in there somehow without it wrinkling up on you?

Nothing comes to mind. I really like it. It's got lots of room, lots of pockets. Built-in rain cover. Very adjustable -- straps everywhere to move it around. At first I was about to return it because it was hanging off of me no matter how much I tightened the chest/hip straps. Then I realized I'd completely overlooked some shoulder and side compression straps. Once I tightened them, it was great.

Just keep in mind, it's for when you have to carry some bulky stuff -- or a lot of stuff. I still keep my smaller Deuter pack for the days when I don't have so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Deuter Futura 22 when I commute by road bike, http://www.rei.com/...2-pack-2014-closeout. I like the suspended mesh back because my commute is an hour of hard riding and I sweat like crazy in the summer. I used to use normal backpacks, but I had to wrap everything in plastic bags to keep it dry because the entire bag would be soaked with sweat and eventually I got tired of washing my stinky bags all the time.

That said, I also have a dedicated commuter rig with fenders and rack/panniers, and there is no comparison in terms of comfort and purpose driven functionality. Go with panniers if you are serious about it and can manage a 2nd bike (everyone needs at least two bikes, right!)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle commuting backpack [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what size flash pack do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best backpack I've ever found is the The Nike Cheyenne Vapor Running Backpack. Aside from the back having "raised" ribbs to allow for better cooling it's also weather/water resistant. Has many compartments and separators. It's still relatively small and reflective which can go a long way to making you safer after hours or early mornings. Comes in a few colors including a bright one to increase visibility and draw attention to you during daylight hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk-pSWpHd3U

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Camelbak day pack, bladder removed. It's the perfect size. I "roll" my work pants and blouse so they don't wrinkle, and have plenty of room for clothes, undergarments, shoes, shower stuff, makeup bag, brush, etc. If you are a man, man shoes will be your biggest issue. Try keeping a few pairs at your desk to eliminate that bulk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a small day pack from MEC (link here - I don't install my bladder for commuting). I ride regularly and usually leave my shoes at work. I take clothes and lunch for the day, and usually have room left over for shoes (if nec), breakfast (refilling my stores of oats or coffee for example), and all those annoyances (phone, keys, wallet, security badge, blah blah blah).

It's small, light, and not annoying. Plus it has chest & waist straps (I hate riding w/o chest straps done up now).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a direct answer but depending on how much it rains where you are get some dry-bags to put your work clothes in, they are a godsend. I always used to leave shoes at work as they take up so much space and weight.

Bag wise I use one of the triathlon/transition bags which is massive but having separate compartments for shoes, helmets etc And a built in dry-bag I find very handy.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marmot Trans Hauler (28L) or Inter Hauler (18L). PVC coating, great bag with 270* zip feature. Use a discount code at Sierra Trading Post and you could be out the door for 50-60 bucks.
Quote Reply