Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about Paris on the final day of the TdF
Quote | Reply
My family and I will be vacationing in Paris the last week of July, and I need the giant, throbbing brain that is ST to assist in planning the visit. I know this has been brought up before but it's been a little while, and these things change. There will be zero training or racing, but I would welcome insights on
1. Good places for easy, scenic run or walk (2-4 miles)
2. Good areas for slow, scenic bike rides (<1 hour) and of course
3. Best vantage points for the Tour finale.

I've never witnessed anything like the Tour in person: are there any tickets or packages really worth buying? (assume I can splurge a bit on what is most likely a once-in-a-lifetime experience).

Finally, if you know of any great places to eat on the cheap that may not be in the usual online resources, I will happily accept recommendations.

Thanks for all of your ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Paris on the final day of the TdF [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went last year. Don't know about the packages but they do have bleachers setup that you have to pay for. Our vantage point was on the west side of the Champs. We set up about 100 meters beyond the finish line. You have to line up early to be able to see but there was a huge TV that we could see so we could watch the race while we waited. It will be six deep so being there a couple of hours early gets you one or two back. Be prepared not to move for a couple of hours. Once they enter paris and do the laps it's a sight to see. The best part is after the awards when they do the lap of honor. They ride really slow and you get to interact with them and it's really cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were there for the final day in 2004. We were walking around the finishing area and media tents early in the afternoon and someone gave us 2 of his finish line passes because he had extras. He had gotten them for free by writing to the various Tour de France sponsors. It gave us unfettered access to the finish line areas - great people watching (hello Robin Williams, Will Smith, Sheryl Crow, etc.) and we were right up next to the cyclists coming by. It's worth a shot and doesn't cost anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to Monoprix a few days before and buy food, a cheap blanket and chairs or small step stool. Get up early, pack a picnic and camp out on the far side of the Arc where you can see the big screen and through the Arc down the Champs. Be prepared for a loooong day in the heat. As far as runs and rides you should hit up Ray at DCrainmaker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great time!!

Some ideas fro viewing: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4459257#4459257

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen the tour in person, but i've lived in Paris during the tour. On that last day, if you're not right in it you don't notice it.
for running, etc., it's the standard stuff - like someone said, there's info on DC Rainmaker's page; you can take a look at a lot of other sites too. Some standard stuff includes laps around some of the bigger parks (Jardin de Luxembourg, Jardin des Plantes, Tuileries (though not that day), Parc des buttes Chaumont, and along the banks of the Seine. You can run along the Canal St. Martin too but there are more traffic lights and a lot of cobblestones.
WHen I was there in December I was jetlagged and waking up a 4-5am, and just going running in the empty streets. that was awesome, and it coudl well be light then when you're there, since Paris is pretty far north. i mean, i was running by myself under the eiffel tower, up montmartre, along the river, all that. since paris is a small city, even a 4 mile run can have a variety of famous sites. if you're coming from teh US, though, jetlag works the other way.
For bike rides, might as well plan ahead and get the bikeshare bikes and just tool around the city - lots of bike lanes now.
also, the bois de vincennes is a great place to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife & i were about 1km past the finish line on the Champs in 2001. I raced as a cat 2 & it still blows my mind how fast those guys fly on the cobbles after 3 weeks of racing. The advatage of this spot is you get to see them twice a lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there in 2005 and the crowds were huge. We camped out starting at about 10am in front of the Renault store because it was raining and my family could watch from inside the store's upstairs cafe.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Paris on the final day of the TdF [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew into Paris from Canada at 7am of the final day in 2011. After wandering around not knowing where to set up we ended up sitting on a wall on the Quai de Tuileries. We could see really well and get to see the peloton 8x (I think it was 8 laps).
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Paris on the final day of the TdF [workinprogress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for sharing their insights. Going to be a fun trip to plan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're from the US, it's a great time to be in Europe. The dollar is stronger than ever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. There's a great little boutique (and not too $$) hotel about a 20 minute walk from the finishing area and Champs Elysee. about 3 blocks from Eiffel Tower and close to the river too.
http://www.cadranhotel.com/hotel.html Chocolate and macaron bar in the lobby and breakfast is really good. If you're a fan of ridiculously good ice cream, see if you can find Berthillon.
2. Bikes: there are bike shares/rentals located all over the city, pick up at one place and drop off at the next. You do need a credit card w an RF chip, though. I did not see many riders wearing helmets.
3. The parade lap after the race is really terrific. Most people leave after the race is finished, and it's easy to get right up next to the barriers. The guys do stop and chat sometimes. Yeah, the Nordic corner is nuts.
4. X2 about getting up early and going for a run along the river. It really is a beautiful city.
5. X5 about learning some French. ("I have French for Idiots") If you stumble through a few phrases, most people do try a bit of English. Usually everyone ends up laughing. Pick up some children's books in French while you're there because they'll bring back some great memories once you get home.

Photos, please; selfies maybe not.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about Paris on the final day of the TdF [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mights start a seperate thread?looking for a Ride out from Grenoble to Alpe d'Huez stage. anybody else going for this?. I am racing Challenge Roth first...
Quote Reply