Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert, but I am a 2:4x marathoner, and if you're running at your limits for a marathon, you're not doing it right. I do it at 30sec per mile slower than half Mara pace. And the first half of a marathon is easy.... If you pace yourself right
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
satanellus wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I've done 10 ironmans, several 50k runs, and did a 50 miler with 10,000 ft of gain last month.

And that's why it's so hard to compare. While IM run courses are relatively consistent, a 50 miler could involve anything from technical trails and 15 000 foot of elevation gain and loss, to 201 laps of an athletics track.

Just shoot me.

There are a few 6-day track ultras. 1 mile track, as many laps as possible, for 6 days. I met a guy who has run a few with a PR of 580 miles and I think the record is 643 miles :(

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [JackM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done 1 Ironman (IMLP 11:57 and 2 50s 8:40 and 10:15) . Like you said training is much more manageable for 50s I was around 70 mpw. Ironman about 15 hours weekly. A lot of this depends on the terrian and course profile, my first 50 was pretty flat and allowed pacers at mile 35, this helped me quite a bit as no walking was done besides hills. Second 50 I twisted an ankle early on but manage to shake it off had 3 low points including another fall during the least technical part of the race and managed a strong finish.
Ironman though was much different for me, as a poor swimmer i felt my race staryed on the bike where the first 56 was a moderate effort minus the climbs and the second 56 i hit a low point on the flats around mile 80 but felt much better after passing some friends. I started the run like a bat at of hell enough to think my watch was wrong until getting to mile 1 scaled back the effort to goal pace which felt easy until around mile 10 but still stayed on pace until mile 15. At which point the walking through the aid stations then walking about 1/4 of each mile. Until i sucked it up for the last mile.
In conclusion I think 50s give you more opportunity to come back from a low point where in an ironman when you're finished there's less chance of getting back to it. Note both my 50s were temperate perfect running day and lake placid was this year so pretty hot (also not used to being in the uncovered sun as long as i was during IMLP, still have a nice little tramp stamp discoloration.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
JSully wrote:
satanellus wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I've done 10 ironmans, several 50k runs, and did a 50 miler with 10,000 ft of gain last month.

And that's why it's so hard to compare. While IM run courses are relatively consistent, a 50 miler could involve anything from technical trails and 15 000 foot of elevation gain and loss, to 201 laps of an athletics track.

Just shoot me.

There are a few 6-day track ultras. 1 mile track, as many laps as possible, for 6 days. I met a guy who has run a few with a PR of 580 miles and I think the record is 643 miles :(

580 miles is certainly impressive running for a 6 day. I'm curious to know who it was?

What's worse than 6 days on a 1 mile loop? 6 days on a 400 meter track. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
satanellus wrote:
eye3md wrote:

Just shoot me.

That's just bonkers. I know there are some indoor track full marathons in winter locales, but that's just a different level altogether.
I run at an indoor 370m track in the winter, and the most I've ever done in one go is 65 laps - I was going a bit batty at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
rbuike wrote:
JSully wrote:
satanellus wrote:
eye3md wrote:

Just shoot me.

580 miles is certainly impressive running for a 6 day. I'm curious to know who it was?

Joe Fejes, and I was wrong, he hit 600 miles at an event this year.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/...-day-mileage-record/

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
satanellus wrote:
rbuike wrote:
JSully wrote:
satanellus wrote:
eye3md wrote:

Just shoot me.

Joe Fejes, and I was wrong, he hit 600 miles at an event this year.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/...-day-mileage-record/

Thanks for the link. Hope he cracks the 1000 km in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman vs 50 miler [bigpaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on whether you're built to run. I'm not. I don't have great form, I'm relatively heavy even when I'm lean (170-175lbs is my racing weight), and my limiter on running has always been the ability of my body to take the pounding. I actually think I found the one open marathon I did to be more difficult than the 2 IMs I've done, let alone a 50 miler. Because doing a marathon fresh I was able to go at a faster pace which beat up my legs more than the IM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next