Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Received an email today saying they changed the run course, apparently it has less turns and elevation now. But when I check out the course it looks the same as last years parcours... Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Not sure what the run course was last year, but looking at the map for the route this year the only difference I can see is that the route doesn't take a wiggle through Belvoir Park, and the turn-around on the east side of the lake is a little further south

Good luck to all the athletes, this was my first ever IM and it was great! I did however require a drip at the end....

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Might want to save some space afterall.. Water temp dropped about 5 degrees overnight (not kidding), it's now around 22! Certainly not complaining, but if the temps rise again I guess we could just as easily see them creep over the legal temps again. I'm also not sure of the Mythenquai temps are the temps that are being used by the organisation, but it's at least a guideline I guess. Good luck the last couple of days and safe travels.

Thank you for the info. I have been watching the temps daily and decided to bring both wetsuit and speed suit to play it safe. Good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [f1onvixens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in few hours the water temperature dropped from 27 to 22.
There is hope...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Might want to save some space afterall.. Water temp dropped about 5 degrees overnight (not kidding), it's now around 22! Certainly not complaining, but if the temps rise again I guess we could just as easily see them creep over the legal temps again. I'm also not sure of the Mythenquai temps are the temps that are being used by the organisation, but it's at least a guideline I guess. Good luck the last couple of days and safe travels.

in the past the organization was always more conservative than Mythenquai. You can assume that up to 25 deg in Mythenquai is ok for wetsuit
also weather forecast doesn't seem anymore over 30deg and at night it is always cooling to 12-14
this morning it was chilly on the bike at 6am
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes thats true, I guess the lake responds very quickly to high temps. But this decrease was really quite spectacular. Maybe some smeltwasser was at play also? In any case, I'll take the wettie and swimskin with me to be safe. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drop is large but in the night from Tue to Wed we had quite a storm here so I am guessing it is just due to the turbulences and the deep water mixing with the warm top layer.

I am doing the 5150 so hoping it will either be 21° or 24°+. I just don't deal well with 22,1° water without the suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [COTriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well!
Seems like everything is still possible in terms of the weather forecast, but I'm hoping for low 20ies and rain if possible.
I'm only arriving on Friday just in time for the briefing.

Have read bad race-reports on blatant mass-drafting (from 2009). Then again, from past experience spectating in Austria and racing on Mallorca, this seems to be the standard for a lot of WTC-races (Lanzarote was the exception).
So I'll try to be ready mentally to not get frustrated or too pacing-aggressive and just do what I can as fairly as humanly possible.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
I'm in as well!
Seems like everything is still possible in terms of the weather forecast, but I'm hoping for low 20ies and rain if possible.
I'm only arriving on Friday just in time for the briefing.

Have read bad race-reports on blatant mass-drafting (from 2009). Then again, from past experience spectating in Austria and racing on Mallorca, this seems to be the standard for a lot of WTC-races (Lanzarote was the exception).
So I'll try to be ready mentally to not get frustrated or too pacing-aggressive and just do what I can as fairly as humanly possible.

well I think this is not only a problem in Europe ;-)

One important aspect to keep an eye on for the weather is the wind: if it blows from North early in the morning, it is great because the flat part at beginning of the loop is mostly from N to S. Most of the times this is the case for the wind but once in a while it blows from south, like last year (rare but it happened). While we have the hilly section from S to N and the wind doesn't play a big role.
The flat part at the end of the loop is equally split between S to N and N to S.

This can change by 5-10mins your bike time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Zurich was my first IM last year. Amazing experience. PM me if you'd like me to share my race report. portmannk at gmail dot com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [eviandrinker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Zurich now, swam this morning at 8am. Water was cool, don't know exact temp, but I did wear my wetsuit. Would have also been fine without it. Water is really clear and fast.
Last edited by: f1onvixens: Jul 13, 15 1:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f1onvixens wrote:
Water is really clear and fast.
I love it when the water is really fast!!!

Forecast - wise it looks like it's gonna be hot all week and then cool down a lot on raceday...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, this forum really needs a like button ;) Fast water sounds good. I signed up for the swim training of the organisation on thursday, others going? Im actually thinking its smarter to go early in the morning like you did though, the training is at 12ish, that will be rather toasty already.
Last edited by: snaaijert: Jul 13, 15 3:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone cares here is my race report for Ironman Zurich.... Thanks for all the help

http://ironmanzurichhoneymoon.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All -

I signed up for IM Switzerland in 2016.

Three questions:

1. Hotel recommendations?

2. Bike transport? No TriBike option (from what I can tell).

3. Anyone use Nirvana Europre for travel/lodging?

Thanks!

Guy
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [Gatsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Gatsby, I just strated a new thread for IM Switzerland 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f1onvixens wrote:
If anyone cares here is my race report for Ironman Zurich.... Thanks for all the helphttp://ironmanzurichhoneymoon.blogspot.com/[/quote[/url]]

Thanks for the RR. Did you really think the welcome dinner is worth buying a ticket for the wife? I'm signed up for 2016 and it will be IM #10 for me. Most welcome dinners that I've been to are a massive disappointment and I've skipped more than I've attended. My experience in Europe has been better though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dinner was good which was surprising. Unless you know the city well and want to spend more money, than I would stick to the race venue. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
f1onvixens wrote:
The dinner was good which was surprising. Unless you know the city well and want to spend more money, than I would stick to the race venue. Hope this helps!

Thx. I stayed in Zurich enroute to Powerman Zofingen in Sep 2014. The Powerman Welcome Dinner was good. By contrast, IM Sweden sucked; but IM Regensburg was the best EVER. BTW, I live in Tampa so will drag my flatlander butt up the mountains yet again.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland 2015 (IMCH) anyone? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned an interesting thing about climbing and racing with elevation; descending is hard! You can prepare for climbing living in FL if you pace right, find wind, and use a power meter. But you simply cannot practice descending. There were guys flying by me, tucked hard doing probably 55+ and i was scared $hitless doing 45. The twists and turns in that race are hard. No long, strait descents like I expected. Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next