Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: At what age did you switch to Aqua bike? [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
I think the idea would be to have strictly an aqua bike event. Not tagged along with a tri. But then again how popular would it be? At least that way there would be a dedicated finish line to ride through, almost like the end of a TT.

What is wrong with running from T2 to the finish? I do not see a RD doing just a AB event. Yep, not enough folks. The races I go to have many many different ones going on all at the same event. Once they set everything up,
they need to make some money.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
I think the idea would be to have strictly an aqua bike event. Not tagged along with a tri. But then again how popular would it be? At least that way there would be a dedicated finish line to ride through, almost like the end of a TT.

I agree with the dedicated finish line or some other recognition like signage. It is nice knowing you don't have to run afterwards!
Quote Reply
Re: At what age did you switch to Aqua bike? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
What is wrong with running from T2 to the finish?

To me this is about as cool as having a bike race where you have to get off your bike and then run over to a finish line. I haven't done an aquabike yet but I think I might sometime if I can roll across a finish line with my arms raised in a victory salute. If I have to dismount before finishing it's just less fun.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age did you switch to Aqua bike? [alexabbas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just have a bike shute finish line away from T2. Not hard to setup and you have a finish.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age did you switch to Aqua bike? [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquabike is a relatively new event and the rankings are beginning to build. The answer is yes, that many only did the required 2 races for the season, many more did at least one race. Personally I do 9 Triathlons and fit in 2 Aquabike races to get the ranking. Eventually I will do more Aquabike races as the run begins to wear down the body. We are actively working with USAT to advertise Aquabike, as many racers are unaware it exists or do not fully understand the event. Hopefully it will continue to grow for those that do not want to run and for those that cannot run anymore but want to stay in a multisport event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an aqua bike when I was still doing triathlons. It was 1/2 IM distance and I was happy not having to do the run that day. That's the only one I ever did, but if I ever get back into racing it will be aqua bikes only. With the exception or recreational trail runs with my dog, I'm done with running now at 64.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did eight aquabikes last year due to running injuries that I just couldn't shake. I'm a 45yo female. Here in Northern CA, AquaBikes have grown in numbers. About two years ago, one of our local race organizers started having an aquabike division at every triathlon. So that's been great. At most of them, we are told we can "make our way to the finish line" after we rack our bikes but that time doesn't count in our official finish time. So if you can't run, you can walk slowly etc. That way, you still get your finish photo and medal if you want.

As for the competitive feel.. that's one of the reasons I did the aquabike races last year. I needed the race adrenaline and a race goal to continue pushing training on the swim and bike. And it's pretty fun to hammer the bike knowing you don't have to conserve for the run. Is it 'the same' feeling of accomplishment as a triathlon?.. no, I'll be honest. For me, almost but not quite. But it's pretty good and 'better than nothing', in my opinion.

Ages are all over the place, and so far it's been just one women's division and one men's division. There have been anywhere from 3 to 40 people doing the aquabike division, but it does seem to be growing in size each year.

Definitely give it a try.
Last edited by: work2tri: May 28, 15 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that most race directors are going to consider Aqua bike profitable enough to host a stand alone event.
Quote Reply
Re: At what age did you switch to Aqua bike? [alexabbas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexabbas wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What is wrong with running from T2 to the finish?

To me this is about as cool as having a bike race where you have to get off your bike and then run over to a finish line. I haven't done an aquabike yet but I think I might sometime if I can roll across a finish line with my arms raised in a victory salute. If I have to dismount before finishing it's just less fun.

Musselman is doing this this year. The competitors will rack their bike in T2 then run to the finish chute.

I'm 45 next week. I did my first AB last year at Musselman, because of ankle surgery in January. Now I'm having other health issues (doctors still aren't sure if it's Lyme arthritis, RA, or something else), which have made all training difficult, and running pretty much impossible. I'm registered for the HIM at Musselman again, but will either be changing it to the AB, or DNS. I'm also registered for IMMD, where unfortunately, there's no AB division, so I will either have to get to T2 in time to walk the most of the run, or DNS that.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply

Prev Next