Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my swim
Quote | Reply
I'll start with a little history. I started swimming as a youngster doing competitive swim through summer club teams throughout elementary age. Been doing triathlon for 8 years now. I've worked with a couple of local coaches to have them evaluate my stroke but that was many years ago and since then they've moved and I've lost contact. So I know from lurking here a lot that there are some knowledgeable swimmers/swim coaches and I'm asking for your opinion. If you could list the 2 areas where you think I could improve most, it would be greatly appreciated. For example, I'm wondering if I'm overgliding. Thanks in advance.

-Billie

Swim video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Z7csAoj30

Sorry, I don't know how to make the above link a hyperlink. Doesn't give me the option in the menu bar.
Last edited by: madcapper2: Mar 31, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim [madcapper2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get yer head down on the streamline and pull those elbows in.

nothing major (compared to most). hips could come up a bit, ankle flexibility, tighten up the kick a little.... you might also be overrotating a little on the breath.

I don't like the thumb down entry. entering with the palm down ( lead with the middle finger) will help you get into the catch a little quicker.

A bit of context though, what length pool? What do you typically split for the swim, and what paces do you hold in practice?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 31, 15 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am by no means the authority on swimming whatsoever so take this for what its worth. Do you always breathe on that right stroke? Have you practiced alternating sides to breathe. By breathing on one side you tend to drift in that direction in terms of navigation. By breathing on both sides it keeps you actually going straight. Its like land navigation.. if you keep walking and going around trees on the right side of them and not alternating you will end up going off your path if your doing dead reckoning. I bring this up as you may not want to spend the time over compensating when going towards the buoy. Just my .00002 cents. As far as everything else goes I couldn't comment much. You appeared to be swimming at a quick pace. If this wasn't what you would consider a quick pace then you seem to be over-exerting yourself in the pool. Try slowing down a bit and really concentrating on form. I think you'll find that as your practice your form more often you will be gliding through the water with much less exertion. Again... just my .02 cents. You look good in the water though.. really I wouldn't comment on much if you didn't ask. The biggest thing really to me is the breathing. Stay in the fight.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The video is shot in a 25 yard pool. At my last 70.3, did a swim of 28:08. Practice paces are roughly 1:18 when I did 1000y TT. 10x100 on 10RI is 1:15, can do 1:10 repeating if I do a whole 100 active recovery between.

Regarding the palm down entry...so my hand is parallel to the water, pinkie to thumb, with my finger tips entering the water first?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim [trIInfected] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I regularly breathe on both sides. I usually will always breath towards one side of the pool no matter which direction I'm swimming. So each 25 I'm breathing on the opposite side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a beyond sucky swimmer I am in no position to comment. However, that will not stop me.

This is more a question for the fishes. Do you see a slight upward motion with the right hand during the extension? Is that OK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the palm down entry...so my hand is parallel to the water, pinkie to thumb, with my finger tips entering the water first?

yup.

it isn't a huge thing, but it does put your hand in the position to pull right away.

You don't appear to be doing this, but a lot of folks with the thumb down entry also push outwards instead of down, which can cause shoulder issues as well as wasting energy.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my swim [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slight, and it isn't "OK", but his isn't bad. quickening up the catch a bit will eliminate that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
madcapper2 wrote:
The video is shot in a 25 yard pool. At my last 70.3, did a swim of 28:08. Practice paces are roughly 1:18 when I did 1000y TT. 10x100 on 10RI is 1:15, can do 1:10 repeating if I do a whole 100 active recovery between.

looked like you were swimming roughly 1:15-1:18 pace in the clip.

So you'd be able to do a set like 10x100 @1:30 alt 1 easy 1 fast with the fast ones at 1:10's, correct. My thought is that your top end speed might be limiting you, if you aren't already, try to work in some fast 50's and 75's with a bit more rest.

25's fly are also pretty good for building power.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you consider fast 50? Like 33? 30? I'm a numbers person so having a goal number helps me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a highly individual thing.

Me, personally, if I'm doing a set of say 12x50 @60s, I'm trying to hit 400m pace or better on each one (sub 35's), or if I'm doing the same set as a descend 1-4, the fastest ones I'm going for 200 pace (32 mids or faster) that's SCM. Occasionally we'll do maximal sprints, I can get under 30 on those from a push.

You need to establish your targets. A flat out 200 in as close to meet conditions as you can manage (ie. warmup, rest a bit, then a single flat out 200) will give you a good idea of your "speedwork" pace. Unless you are doing meets, I wouldn't bother with anything shorter than that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
slight, and it isn't "OK", but his isn't bad. quickening up the catch a bit will eliminate that.

I see a lot of pretty quick swimmers that exhibit this (see Sun Yang's left arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncOBURz-6o ).

Not sure it helps anything, but seems not to be too much of a problem (maybe the lift counteracts it?).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply