Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about muscle inhibition and activation
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but from what I think I understand here is my question: If a muscle's neural activation is decreased by reciprocal inhibition, for example, when the glutes are inhibited by tight hip flexors, can you get the inhibited muscles to activate effectively even if its antagonist is still tight?
In other words, for example, my psoas are very tight and I can't seem to get them released through stretching or deep tissue massage (I can tell that they're still tight from the Thomas Test) and from what I understand this inhibits my glutes, which do test to be weak. Does it do any good to try to get the glutes to fire if the psoas is still tight? Or do I need to solve that issue first and then work on the glutes? Thanks for any insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about muscle inhibition and activation [AztecJim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AztecJim wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but from what I think I understand here is my question: If a muscle's neural activation is decreased by reciprocal inhibition, for example, when the glutes are inhibited by tight hip flexors, can you get the inhibited muscles to activate effectively even if its antagonist is still tight?
In other words, for example, my psoas are very tight and I can't seem to get them released through stretching or deep tissue massage (I can tell that they're still tight from the Thomas Test) and from what I understand this inhibits my glutes, which do test to be weak. Does it do any good to try to get the glutes to fire if the psoas is still tight? Or do I need to solve that issue first and then work on the glutes? Thanks for any insight.

Reciprocal inhibition is a natural process and how your body functions under normal conditions. For example: Biceps contract, triceps relax to allow movement to occur.

Altered reciprocal inhibition is what you are referring to when a tight muscle inhibits the proper firing of another.

Yes, you can build strength in the inhibited muscle group increasing it's activation through targeted movements. Doing so may also help to release the tension in the overactive muscles.

For the glutes some examples would be using a band and performing hip abductions, 45 degree angle straight leg hip extensions, and straight leg hip extensions.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Question about muscle inhibition and activation [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for response. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about muscle inhibition and activation [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the flip side though, here is the response someone sent me when I posed the question on a massage therapy forum

" I personally would try to release the psoas. You would get more out of your exercises if it is all working better. I know sometimes if you get your leg up, so your this is 90 degrees to your torso and your shin is parallel to tour torso, have somebody else hold your leg in this position. Your glutes should release and the longer you hold the position the easier it will be for your psoas to finally relax. I hope this helps and makes sense."

Bottom line is, though, I will do both. It's frustrating, in the past my tight hip flexors and inhibited glutes have let to just a domino effect of hip, lower back and even knee issues. I don't want to go through that again. Thanks again for the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree on still working to release the tight muscle as well. Even though releasing your tighteas hasn't worked up to this point, you don't want to stop it. It is both releasing the tightness and strengthening the weakness that are key to correcting the imbalance. It will take time paired with focus and consistency.

Good luck!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of good info on website. http://www.matjournal.com/. The use of Muscle Activation Techniques is great for releasing muscles.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply