Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cabo or Tahoe
Quote | Reply
Asking the minds of slowtwitch for race opinion...I can race Tahoe or Cabo this fall and am looking to qualify for Kona......This is the breakdown for me...Tahoe- pro's- I can train in altitude before, I climb well, possibly a cheaper trip but not by a huge margin. Con's- cold water, cooler temps (I race well in heat.).......Cabo- pro's- I race well in heat, hills, potential rough swim. Con's- possibly cost more than Tahoe....Thoughts on anyone that has done either course...
Gracias,
Juan M
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [oldhagj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done neither but I would think Tahoe from your descriptions. Also a factor if you are trying to KQ is there may only be half a field at Tahoe. Better chance because of less participants?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cabo will be non-wetsuit swim on Oct with potential for decent current. If you are strong swimmer and can handle heat on the bike and run Cabo will be good.

Both races will have a small field so a good amount of Kona slots relatively speaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cabo has a slight edge it seems...the heat being the difference maker.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in the M30-34 AG, I'd say go with Cabo; otherwise, Tahoe for sure! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha...actually mens 40-44....
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I'm in 30-34 and am considering the same two races as well for the same purpose... I reckon you are doing Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Cabo last year but it was in March.. great race, enjoyed it a lot.

I think I would do Cabo over Tahoe simply because I know Tahoe is going to be "cold"...
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04 wrote:
I have done neither but I would think Tahoe from your descriptions. Also a factor if you are trying to KQ is there may only be half a field at Tahoe. Better chance because of less participants?
Pretty sure Cabo will be a lot smaller than Tahoe. Both are split IM/70.3's and Cabo is capped at 750/750.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Do you Los Cabos, because Mexico is cooler( figuratively). I did it last March and qualified and have a great time. The run course is hot and hillier than you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did not know that thank you for the correction. Also for the OP if you think Tahoe might be cold...with this heat California has been hitting already and dry season it could be really quite nice this year in Tahoe. Of course it could also be snowing or the whole damn forest around there could be on fire from the drought we are in :)
Last edited by: griffeyfan04: Mar 30, 15 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold, what do you define as cold? Water is in mid 60's, perfect swim water temp.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Cabo or Tahoe [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that Tahoe is that cold, but I run better in heat than most..so for qualifying purpose's it gives me a better chance....altitude won't matter either( can be at altitude 4-6 weeks before hand) Thanks for all the feedback. .....Def right about the current weather trend, I feel bad for the ski resorts there....
Quote Reply