Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Cozumel - Fly into Cancun: Yea or Nay?
Quote | Reply
Airfare is about twice as much to fly directly into Coz (400+ versus 800+, times 2).

Is it worth it to bus to Playa Del Carmen and then ferry over?

TBT would be taking care of the bike, but everything else would be coming with on the full journey.
Last edited by: J_R: Mar 30, 15 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Fly into Cancun: Yea or Nay? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fly into Cancun and then get a flight on Mayair over to Coz. Those flights only cost $80-90. I've done it twice. Never taken the ferry. Flight is just too simple.

Quote | Reply
I did this in 2013. It was very easy. There is also a service that flies b/w Cancun and Cozumel that's not expensive and doesn't involve a long taxi ride to get to Ferry (and/or sea sickness).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice via Cancun -- saved a boatload compared to flying into Cozumel by hiring a van for my family to Playa del Carmen then taking the ferry ride across. Very simple. I also used TBT both times with good results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always done the taxi to Playa, then the boat to Cozumel. But, that's because transportation was included in my hotel package and I don't mind the boat ride. I didn't know that Mayair existed and it looks like you can't beat their rates, they even have an Ironman (appears to be cheapest) rate. As long as the flights fit your schedule. I just did a quick check, U$126 return for 1 person for what I would have picked. So for 2, that'd be just over $250. A cab from Cancun to Playa is in the order of $100 (or more, depending upon how good you talk) although a bus would certainly be less.

In any case, enjoy!

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. We did this last November when our original flight to coz got changed at the last minute. I had my bike with me and two small children. The wind kicked up. It was a very rough trip that I wouldnt repeat. But if you use tbt and aren't schlepping kids and the money is meaningful I would fly to cancun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMCoz in 2013 and flew to Cancun. We took the bus to Playa Del Carmen and took the ferry over. I found it to be a hassle. Busses from the airport to Playa Del Carmen were running behind schedule, 15 minute walk from bus station to ferry terminal (lugging a heavy suitcase). Long lines for the ferry. Crossing was rough and wife got seasick. Spend the money and fly directly to Coz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found it pretty easy getting the bus to Playa and then the ferry. I did that for the 70.3 last year, but flew in to Coz for the Ironman. Obviously that's a lot more convenient, but I didn't find the bus/walk/boat a big problem. Your call it's worth the $. Just make sure you leave enough time to make the connections and maybe do it all before dark. You can hit some good street food vendors close-ish to the bus station in Playa if you want to explore a bit.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both - the first time I flew into Cancun and took Mayair over to Cozumel The second time I flew directly into Cozumel and I would definitely NOT fly into Cancun again. I just found it to be more of a hassle then I care to do Ironman week. I don't think the savings are as significant as you think. If you fly Mayair then you have to pay that airfare and bike fee. I know you said you'll be using TBT, but you still need to factor in the ferry or Mayair cost and I included the bike fee in case anyone else reading this thread is thinking about flying into Cancun. I don't know how the cost works out taking the ferry since I've never done that. Also, it took almost an entire day of travel to fly into Cancun versus a 2.5 hour flight into Cozumel. No matter how you decide to get there Cozumel is a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, good input.
Quote Reply