Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheels, KICKR, or 920xt?
Quote | Reply
My annual bonus came in & I have a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. I just bought a Pioneer power meter for my bike, but I still have a little bit more to play with. There are three things I'm looking at that I want, but don't really need. If you had the money to get a new toy, which of these would you get if you were only going to get one?
  • Race Wheels - Probably the most expensive of the options. I currently have the aluminum Reynolds wheels that came with my bike. I can always rent race wheels, so it's not like I don;t have an option there for my upcoming long course races.
  • KICKR - My current trainer is a cheap Performance Bike fluid trainer. It's nothing sexy & it's kind of a pain in the ass to get dialed in right. I looked at a Kinetic or a Cyclops, but figured why stop there. Why not get the gold standard in power trainers? I ride a lot in my basement during the week, so it will get a lot of use. Downside, is I wonder if it's necessary since I have a crank based PM on the way.
  • 920xt - I don't have a multisport watch, but I do have Garmins for all my training (Swim, Edge 510, & FR620). The 920 is not necessary, but it would be fun, especially on race day. Bonus would be that I could sell my FR620 to recoup a bit of the expense. I'd still keep the Swim & Edge though.

Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels, KICKR, or 920xt? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the KICKR has a lot of issues with power meter drift, I'm not sure I would call it the gold standard. You can train just as hard on a Kurt Kinetic as you can on a KICKR. The difference is you have to stay on top of your power output instead of the KICKR forcing you to stay at a target power.

I would buy a Kurt Kinetic trainer and then get race wheels. Sell the 620 and get the 920 if you really want it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 30, 15 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computrainer used on ST classifieds. Rent the wheels. The timepieces you have are good enough to do what you need. I would do the wheels second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powermeter/Powertap + KK Road machine + TrainerRoad. Wheel cover for rear wheel. Rent or buy a deep front wheel. 920xt if you are not using anything right now to track SBR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Race Wheels, a KICKR, and a 920xt.

The race wheels are nice, they sound awesome, look slick, and buy some time on race day. But I spend so much time training relative to racing, that they don't bring back as much ongoing enjoyment (there toys right!!). I love my 920xt, but I actually wish I had a separate bike computer that showed more fields on 1 screen, and had an ability to show maps/routes decently (the 920xt is horrible at this).

I would easily suggest the KICKR. Yes, people complain about the drift, and I experience it too. But overall it is very minor, and settles on a consistent value after about 15mins, so about when warmup is finishing. The key feature is training in ERG mode, training is so much easier mentally when you can just focus on spinning the pedals, rather than also having to concentrate on monitoring your power value too. I formerly had a KK trainer, and could not go back to it now. Since you mention you ride a lot in your basement, you will experience getting to play with this toy very frequently. I wouldn't suggest you need to go KICKR, I think any ERG trainer could do, but I would definitely invest in the trainer if in your position!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KICKR is a pretty nice toy...

-Pair this with TrainerRoads.com and you have an awesome trainer setup.
-Recently got a KICKR and I've seen some impressive improvements in FTP using it in ERG mode. Depending on the training plan in TrainerRoads or any other app, you just get on and keep your cadence and form, the trainer does the resistance increases and decreases.
-Really easy to use and operate, it just works. You just pop the rear wheel off and mount then go. No need for a wheel block.

I'm really happy with it although it was very pricey.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels, KICKR, or 920xt? [Jlocout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the kickr for Xmas, best present ever for training. As mentioned with trainerroad, you will improve on the bike
Rented zipp 404's for Cali 1/2 and would rather spend 150 a race than have 2k sitting in my garage
920 is worth the money. The tri function is worth the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have an aero helmet?
Start there.

After that I'd be torn between the KICKR and an aero front wheel/wheel cover.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the kickr is nice especially if you ant to watch something like a sufferfest video and control it via the computer. Since you already have power, you might prefer the inside ride e-motion rollers, they are very nice. I actually have both and tend to use the rollers a lot more just because I enjoy them better.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels, KICKR, or 920xt? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 910xt but added Edge 500 to the bike. I'd dump the 910xt and just go with a running watch if the 910xt wasn't so good at counting laps in the pool (and I am so poor at it). Even as an economist (hence LOVE data), the 910xt is plenty enough data. I don't see any benefit of the 920xt other than more data that I wouldn't use. If you don't have a power meter then I really see no reason for the 920xt or even the 910xt.

I have a Kurt trainer. I had upgraded from Cyclops, which was an upgrade from my cheap Nashbar Mag trainer. My opinion: Kurt > Nashbar> Cycleops. The Kurt is fluid where the other two were mags. I have Quarq so no need for trainer with power.

Race wheels? I'd get wheel cover and call it good.

Based on my past experience, I'd spend the money:

1. Buy wheel cover.
2. Buy Quarq
3. Buy Kurt
4. TrainerRoad + Sufferfest
5. Used aero lid
6. Crush your opponents dreams (free of charge).

Last edited by: Economist: Mar 31, 15 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess it really depends on what you 'need' the most. You have a power meter, you have a trainer already, and a trainerroad account. Besides needing to change the gears and such, I don't know how much you will gain by switching a trainer. You rent race wheels already. I personally would not do this (I do not think that is an option at most of the venues I race at currently), but an aero set + wheel cover has done good to me. Though if you can rent easily, then I don't know if this is valuable to you. I have a 920XT, and I wear this thing 24/7. So for me, it is pretty high on the list. I can't see myself going back to a dumb watch. I don't need to pour through all of my data, but I have the ability to if I want. I find my memory of a workout weeks after compared to what my workout actually was is quite different (and more depressing).

I think out of everything you already have the best investment for your training, the PM.
Quote Reply