Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long to keep a bike without riding it
Quote | Reply
So the baby came and since then all of my rides have been on the trainer with the tri bike since that is what I race on. I like riding it but with the lack of time and lack of great riding roads I am not sure how much I will ride it. I have a feeling most of my outdoor rides will be on the tri bike to refresh my handling. Love the bike (Scott CR1 Pro) but find it hard to justify keeping it if I will not have a chance to use it much. Plus if I get rid of it I can get more of a beater to tow the kiddo around when he gets a little older.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to keep a bike without riding it [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Family should be the first priority. When my wife and I had kids my boat was the first thing to go because infants don't wakeboard. So if you don't have time to "train" but still might get out for a ride every now and then with the little one in tow, I'd say ditching the tri bike for now might be a good idea. The season of life while we have young kids means a lot of things I enjoy has to take a backseat for a while. But it doesn't mean I won't pick them up again.

I train as much as I can and still spend ample time with my kids. I try to be done training in time to eat breakfast with them which at their current age is early. As they grow, they will sleep in more, and it will enable me to train more. But for the time being, I'll have to settle for the race results I can muster with the time I've been given.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Re: How long to keep a bike without riding it [triscottMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will still train and race so the tri bike is staying. Most workouts are an hour or less and done before anyone is up. May not be as competitive as I like or train very consistently but as you said family comes first (also no IM or HIM, sprints with some olympics sprinkled in). Skipped several workouts since I was up and baby needed something which is just fine with me.

I don't ride the road bike since I bought it to ride on the roads which means riding when other people are up. I would rather ride on the trainer before the sun rises and be there to do what I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, if you're keeping the tri bike I'd personally get rid of the road bike for now.

I'm not too far removed from those days. My youngest is 3yo. My wife stays at home and really her only day to sleep in was Saturday so I really had to limit what I did then so she could get some rest. But now when the kids get up they can go watch cartoons until breakfast. Plus, their wake up times are getting later and later. It's still a struggle though trying to fit in training time. Someone offered to pay my entry fee to an IM and I had to turn it down just because I don't think I have that kind of time yet. So we settled for a HIM. Baby steps...

On a purely non-topic-related matter, enjoy the little ones while they're little. Man, they grow up fast!

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you sell your road bike now, do you feel like in the future you will just end up buying a new road bike again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it. You'll ride it again at some point, and if you get to that point without it, you'll regret selling it. Trust me. I was in the exact same position when my kids were born. Now we ride together and I'm my old trusty road steed and loving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a serious athlete, be it triathlete or cyclist, second bike is worth more to us than the money we can get for selling it. Keep it, or else you'd be buying another bike in a year or two, spending twice or three times the money you'd get by selling your existing bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to keep a bike without riding it [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
For a serious athlete, be it triathlete or cyclist, second bike is worth more to us than the money we can get for selling it. Keep it, or else you'd be buying another bike in a year or two, spending twice or three times the money you'd get by selling your existing bike.

This, exactly.

If you've got the space, and aren't desperate for cash, hang on to it.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to keep a bike without riding it [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Agree with this unless you are playing the long game and planning to get a new road bike in a couple of years. The problem with road bikes, is there is really just not a great reason to "upgrade" other than wanting a new pretty one. While I keep trying to think of reasons to upgrade my 2008 Scott Addict, it's probably only worth $500 and would cost $2500+ to replace. That's a lot to pay for essentially a new paint job.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a gravel/adventure bike last year and at one point I was riding that so much that I considered getting rid of my road bike and just having the gravel bike with different tires and/or wheelsets as needed for different kinds of riding.

You could sell your road bike, put the $ into a gravel bike, use road wheels/tires for road rides, and something wider for rides with the kid trailer. Maybe change up pedals too, based on ride type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been in this position, since I'm 17. However, my father was. He's done the majority of his riding on a tri bike on the trainer for as long as I remember (my trainer is next to his now).

He bought a beautiful Cervelo SLC-SL when that was THE bike to buy. Not long after he started tri and got a P2, and the SLC-SL pretty much sat in the garage for the better part of 6 years.

Last year, I started doing tris and got to FOP overall pretty fast (first race, ~3.5 months training after xc running prior), and he gave me the SLC-SL. Some of the best days are when we go ride together in the mountains, and I we do our rides on the trainer next to each other at least a few times each week.

I'm extremely grateful to have such a nice bike to ride.

I know it's hard to look that far into the future, but someday your kid may want to be like dad, and want to do tri/ride bikes.

Something to keep in mind!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reasons to sell a bike are:

1) It doesn't fit you
2) You have nowhere to store it and no chance in the foreseeable future of being able to store it
3) You have an injury that means you'll never be able to ride a bike again

Any bike that you like riding, do your best to find some place to store it until you have time to ride it again. You'll never sell it for what it's worth to you. I've only ever sold one bike I liked, and I still regret it! You'll also be amazed how quickly the baby gets easier. Give it a few years and you'll be dropping them at birthday parties and are free to ride until it's pick-up time. A few years after that they'll be riding with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a MTB a couple of years ago, rode it a few times, then entered a gravel road race last spring. During the summer I washed it, but didn't ride it until the week before this years race. Would I sell it? No.

I have a Specialized Allez that was my first bike. I only use it on the trainer now (all winter), and occasionally to commute to work (32 miles round trip). Would I sell it? Probably.

For me it depends on if I have another bike that will do the same thing. I only have one MTB, but 2 road bikes. I could easily use the other bike on the trainer.
Quote Reply