Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pool running in shallow depth
Quote | Reply
I'd like to do more water running to spare my joints but my pool is only 4 feet deep.

Lots of questions: Is it possible to pool run effectively at this depth? Should I wear water shoes? Is it better to 'run' the length, or in place, or tether with a band and run against the tension?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - wear water shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the water shoes suggestion. I tried to run the pool today because of a goggle malfunction. Just a few laps in and I noticed my toes would likely be torn up if I did it for too long. Also, 4 is about right. anything deeper and I felt like there was almost too much resistance to keep proper form.
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to a torn hamstring I'm doing deep water running right now but when I'm able to graduate to shallow water running can
I just use my minimalist racing flats or should I buy water shoes?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use any old shoes.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Just use any old shoes.

this has denizen potential
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going to be running in 4 feet of water. That is, in itself, enough to provide the potential. There is no way to do that and look remotely normal.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will wear my swim cap to insure denizen status.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm marathon training and I feel that I am on the verge of injury, I hit the pool for about an hour instead of my usual run to help absorb some of the mileage (once every other week or so). I only have access to shallow water (also about 4 feet) and I find that after a pool running workout, the next day on the roads feels fantastic! The key is to try to keep your heart rate as high as you can (more difficult in the pool) which is usually achieved with intervals.

Wear shoes- I have shoes I only wear in the pool now- a pair of old trainers. I guess you could wear water shoes, but why waste money? I get a headband, attach my mp3 player, turn on my music (otherwise I think I would die of boredom) and run from one side of the pool to the next, alternating between easy and hard efforts. Doing laps essentially. And yes, I look ridiculous.

The worst part about laps is you turn around and are running into your wake. And don't be fooled, pool running provides a decent amount of resistance and does tire out your legs (but in a drastically different way than running on land does). But I swear it helps me get faster while avoiding injury. Even though I think I am officially a denizen at my pool....
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [HoustonDINK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll go for denizen legend, with all of the above gear plus a snorkel for hypoxic training.

Thanks everyone for the advice -- I'm excited to try this now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the "shoes/no shoes" discussion is over, I'm pleased to announce I'm never showering again before entering the pool if you guys are just gonna jump in wearing your nasty old training shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just have a look at all the people in the pool around you, and imagine all the places the pool water is washing in and out of them.... and dirty shoes should be he least of your concerns ;-)

But to the OP yes I think this is very good run training, a good compromise for when you're too injured for the road but not so bad that you need to aquajog. Basically light weight running instead of weightless. I use old running flats
Last edited by: USPro Tri: Mar 31, 15 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not pools that require people to put their head underwater and open their month even if they only want to run, walk or do aqua aerobics. Like the shower that they are supposed to take. Perhaps this would make for cleaner pool water. And, if it doesn't, it's a lost world.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're a far, far braver man than me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoes? You're in the pool so wear your fins. That will not only provide a unique workout, but ensure denizen hall of fame status.
Quote Reply
Re: pool running in shallow depth [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:

I am a lady, and will of course have a dedicated pair of new pool running shoes, because shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

I am a lady, and will of course have a dedicated pair of new pool running shoes, because shoes

D'OH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of shallow water running this winter to help rehab a hip flexor muscle tear. I think 4 feet might be a bit deep for most people to have anything close to a normal running gait. Once you get much above your waist, the resistance of the water increases a great deal. Water shoes are a must! I ran without them for about two months and developed a number of blisters and hot spots on the soles of my feet. I picked up a pair of water shoes and they were the solution to the problem.
Quote Reply