Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two Thumbs up for HITS Ocala. [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I really don't think the bike's owner is lying, I think that she just didn't notice the damage underneath the bento box before taking the bike to transition.

I would say we have a winner. Looks like TSA to me ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Two Thumbs up for HITS Ocala. [Sepilipa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all of the waivers you sign to do the race in the first place, what "options" did you expect to discuss? You had no options.
Quote Reply
Re: Two Thumbs up for HITS Ocala. [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So,

I hear the bike was shipped and assembled on site.

Who did the assembly and did they use a work stand to do so?

Maybe it happened on site, but not in transition?

KellyNCollier wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
bricklayer wrote:
There would be a crack running the from top to bottom on the left side if it was a strike wouldn't you think? There looks to be damage to the top as well that is partially concealed by the bento box.

You would need to be a material engineer specializing in carbon fiber to properly speculate on how it would crack and what kind of resulting compression stress cracks might emanate elsewhere. I do not hold those credentials. But given the OPs comment below yours that the damage is only on one side, I have difficulty believing it stems from a clamp.

Luckily, I AM a materials engineer! Hence why I think the bike was crushed in a clamp. It absolutely doesn't look like something that could have happened by just dropping the bike, especially because the bike's owner mentioned in a previous facebook discussion that there's no damage to the base bar. Maybe getting hit with something with a wide head like the side of a sledgehammer? A hammer head in general would be much too narrow. And not from falling onto the corner of a plastic or wooden transition stand. Definitely not a stomp.

I really don't think the bike's owner is lying, I think that she just didn't notice the damage underneath the bento box before taking the bike to transition. I honestly don't look at the underside of my top tube when I ride, so if it were me, I can imagine missing it at first until it became really noticeable after the paint chipped away.

If I were HITS, I'd take one look at that type of damage and be totally comfortable telling her "tough luck". Sorry your bike is damaged, but it's a pretty tall order to expect the race organization to take care of that for you. If I were you, I'd take it up with the shop that received it in FL.
Quote Reply

Prev Next