Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Real time accurate data while running.
Quote | Reply
I am currently using the Nike+ sport watch. I think this thing is terrible and might need to make a change.

I love the treadmill. I can dial in my workouts exactly.

However, when I go outside, I am all over the place. A typical run for me might be 90 minutes with an easy pace 2 miles warm up then 2 threshold pace mile intervals with 4 minutes rest in between. Finishing the run at marathon pace. These paces are obviously set by testing.

When I get into my interval, I am running at easy pace and speed up at the mile mark. It takes my watch almost the whole mile interval for the watch to work its way down to the actual pace that I am running. So the first freaking 8 tenths of the interval I have no idea what pace I am running. Now I know that I am running at least the pace I am looking for. usually I end up getting frustrated and run way to fast to try and force the watch to respond.

Do I need a new watch or is this just part of using GPS to report real time data?
Quote Reply
Re: Real time accurate data while running. [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many watches let you set the pace that's being reported to 'lap average' or 'instantaneous'. If you happen to have a watch that can receive pace data from a footpod then you will have near-instantaneous feedback on the pace that you are running; most of the time, GPS requires a bit more averaging to report sensible results. Ideally you'd get a continuous 10 second or 30 second pace average regardless of what part of a lap (mile or km interval) you're on.

However, part of what you need to do is to practice pacing yourself without having to constantly refer to the watch. Otherwise you'll find yourself being dragged ahead or behind by other racers and you'll run into stuff when you look down to check your pace... set the watch to give you mile alerts, give yourself a mental pace goal, and see how you do at hitting that pace. Do this on the last half of a 4-6 mile run, where you set yourself a target pace for each mile. It's okay if the targets are the same...

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lap pace on my Garmin 410 and 910 works good. I've used it accurately for 4 min intervals at a specific pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are sure it isn't set to average pace, or it only has average pace as a feature. Throw that thing on ebay and get something more legit. The GPS instant pace on any garmin I have ever had 305 and 310 to be exact were very quick to respond. I always had current and avg. pace showing... it went off GPS not foot pod FWIW. Foot pod on tready only.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a better GPS. Also practice pacing yourself instead of relying on the treadmill to do it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, the Nike+ watch sucks. Sucks so much they are not going to make them anymore. Just buy a Garmin. They just announced partnership so you can keep uploading to Nike+ website if you like (my wife likes to win all the trophies and track her training that way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GPS is usually pretty accurate w/in @30ft, and is good for most intervals. Have found with speed/repetition work @100m-200m sometimes there will be more variance depending on the satellites being tracked and environment. For the most part, the next best thing is probably pace work on the track.

Have found as well that my footpod with the GPS is good at the calibrated speed to @ .01-.02 of a mile compared to the TM. As a result, I get consistent feedback no matter if I'm outside or in.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Real time accurate data while running. [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.

I definitely have it on instant pace.

It is true...I am a bit addicted to the tread mill. Same with the trainer and my power meter. I just love nailing my training numbers. I get a little spoiled in the winter months.

I bought the Nike+ because I found a good deal on ebay and I liked the big numbers on the face. Easy to see at a glance while running. Seriously this thing is terrible.

Looks like I will be getting a Garmin. Now the question is...which one???? I only run with my watch. I don't swim or bike with it.
Last edited by: Calvin386: Mar 29, 15 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I definitely have it on instant pace.

It is true...I am a bit addicted to the tread mill. Same with the trainer and my power meter. I just love nailing my training numbers. I get a little spoiled in the winter months.

I bought the Nike+ because I found a good deal on ebay and I liked the big numbers on the face. Easy to see at a glance while running. Seriously this thing is terrible.

Looks like I will be getting a Garmin. Now the question is...which one???? I only run with my watch. I don't swim or bike with it.

Look at the DC Rainmaker reviews.

As a run-only watch, consider the Garmin Forerunner10 (or the 15, which has heart rate). Low cost, with a good GPS.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Real time accurate data while running. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a quick ebay search, I found the Garmin 310XT with ANT USB stick for between $100 and $130. Some are used and some are refurbished. What do you think about this watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a full-on tri watch; more features, but clunkier.

A good option if you want to use it on the bike as well. The FRs are running-specific watches. IIRC the GPS response for the FRs is also a bit better (newer design).

Check out the DCR reviews on each. Personally I'd go with a used FR15.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It's a full-on tri watch; more features, but clunkier.

A good option if you want to use it on the bike as well. The FRs are running-specific watches. IIRC the GPS response for the FRs is also a bit better (newer design).

Check out the DCR reviews on each. Personally I'd go with a used FR15.

I thought it looked a little big. Another reason I liked the Nike+. It was relatively small. I don't need one for swimming or biking so I'm going to give the FR15 a serious look.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From DCR:

FR15

310XT

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That 310 is massive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i really like my garmin 620. my gf likes the 220 i got her.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Real time accurate data while running. [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the virtual pacer feature on the garmin - it says how far ahead/behind you are. It was great on the FR305 and even better on the 310XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Real time accurate data while running. [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
I really like the virtual pacer feature on the garmin - it says how far ahead/behind you are. It was great on the FR305 and even better on the 310XT.
I hate the virtual pacer because he beats me in every race.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those do not look like running shoes :)
Quote Reply